Typewriter tool and saving copies?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

prius
User

Typewriter tool and saving copies?

Post by prius »

I just downloaded and installed the new Editor and briefly browsed through a few threads so forgive me if the following questions have been addressed (couldn't find anything if so).

First, I cannot locate anything resembling a typewriter tool in the Editor. If it has not yet been enabled, will it be enabled and/or added in a future release?

Second, I now have two plugins in Firefox; the Viewer and the Editor. Both show that they are enabled but the Editor takes precedence. Is the Editor intended to replace the Viewer at some point in time?

Finally, again in Firefox, the save feature in the Editor appears to be totally inoperable. No issues saving the exact same PDF when the Viewer is enabled as the plugin.

Thanks for any information or insight.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Typewriter tool and saving copies?

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi prius
First, I cannot locate anything resembling a typewriter tool in the Editor. If it has not yet been enabled, will it be enabled and/or added in a future release?
Right, not in there yet, yes it will be soon. :-)
Second, I now have two plugins in Firefox; the Viewer and the Editor. Both show that they are enabled but the Editor takes precedence. Is the Editor intended to replace the Viewer at some point in time?
Absolutely - eventually the Editor will have all the features of the Viewer and more. At that time it will become the replacement for the Viewer.
Finally, again in Firefox, the save feature in the Editor appears to be totally inoperable. No issues saving the exact same PDF when the Viewer is enabled as the plugin.
Thanks for the heads up - we'll take a look.

I hope that helps
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
prius
User

Post by prius »

Hi Paul,

YES! You have managed to eliminate 100% of the confusion on my part with a minimum amount of verbiage! :D

Thank you for the prompt response. :D
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
Corwin - Tracker Sup
User

Post by Corwin - Tracker Sup »

Hi prius,

May I ask you, what exactly problem with saving PDF from Editor Firefox plugin do you have?
redcat
User

Post by redcat »

I can't speak for Prius, but I'm also unable to save files within Firefox using editor. I receive my monthly bank statements online by signing into my account and clicking on a link to the file. A new window opens in Firefox and the statement is displayed (in pdf format) using the editor plugin. The save button on the toolbar is not active so I have no way to save the file onto my computer. Prior to installing the editor my viewer pro worked great for statement retrieval. As a work around I tried to change the settings within Firefox to force Firefox to use the viewer rather than the editor, but I couldn't find a setting that worked. Finally I just uninstalled editor to be able to download my statements. Any thoughts? Now that my statements are downloaded, I plan on re-installing editor and doing some troubleshooting.

UPDATE:
I went back in and re-installed editor and I can now see the difference with the save button between viewer and editor when you download a file such as I was doing with my bank. When you click on the save button in viewer it is actually doing a "save as" where the editor is attempting a "save". Since the file displaying in editor was unchanged the save button was inactive. The workaround is just to go to the menu and "File" then "Save As" to save the file. I wasn't so alert the first time around. :oops:

Rather than delete my post I'll leave it up in case anyone else happens to encounter the same issue.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for the post and the insight on the matter redcat,

I will pass this to our devs as well - so that they can take a look and change the Editor plug-in as necessary.

Best,
Stefan