Network drive: Error message "Document not available"

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

s2mela
User

Network drive: Error message "Document not available"

Post by s2mela »

If you open a document from the network drive and then put the PC to sleep, a pop-up error "Document not available" comes up after reactivating the PC. You then have to click on Open again and it will open properly. This error message is annoying if you have 20 documents opened from the network drive, you have to press Open 20 times. Can you set the XChange to try to reopen the document itself and only show an error message if the document cannot be reopened automatically?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Network drive: Error message "Document not available"

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello s2mela,

This is a known issue and currently the only way to avoid it is to prevent the PC form going to sleep, or save and close your documents before doing so. The issue is caused by Windows disabling the network adapter while the PC is asleep, as our Editor requires an uninterrupted connection to files while editing. If the connection is lost, changes may have occurred to the document, and thus applying the changes you have made locally could irreparably corrupt the original file.

We do not have any plans to automate this notice as it also serves to inform you that any changes you have made to the document were lost. Automatically reopening these files without notice would be the same as us simply deleting the work you have put in without any reason to the vast majority of users.

In the future we plan to change the handling to circumvent this issue, but for the time being the only way to prevent this is to ensure you always save and close your documents before putting the device to sleep.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
s2mela
User

Post by s2mela »

I do not edit the documents, only read them, so nothing is lost.
It would be great if such an option for automatic opening were available in the settings with a corresponding warning about data loss if you edit a document.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello s2mela,

I will forward the suggestion to our dev team, but I am afraid it is unlikely to see implementation while we are still looking at reworking the system to circumvent this issue (which in theory should resolve your issue as well).

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
s2mela
User

Post by s2mela »

Hello,
it is perhaps now possible to disable this pop-up in the settings?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello s2mela,

Which pop-up specifically are you referring to?
If it is one of the document Info bars - you can turn those on or off through File -> Preferences (Ctrl + K) -> Document Info bar.

Kind regards,
Stefan
s2mela
User

Post by s2mela »

It is a pop-up that appears.
Can you please add an option in the settings that you can turn it off and the program will try to reopen the document itself.
Because with 20 documents open, you have to press it 20 times after each reactivation of Windows from hibernation.
Thank you.
Screenshot 2021-05-30 225300.jpg
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello s2mela,

There have been a few newer builds since the last posts in this topic, so can you please update to build 358 and let us know if you are still experiencing this?

Kind regards,
Stefan
s2mela
User

Post by s2mela »

Dear Sir or Madam,

yes the problem has been fixed. I would like to see a small optimization.
When the program tries to open a document while the network storage is booting, the program shows a white screen, which is fine. Unfortunately, I can not minimize the program window during this time. Can you please improve it.

Many greetings
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI s2mela

Thanks for the report on this. I am not 100% sure I understand what this particular screen may be. Any chance we can get a screenshot perhaps?

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... re-support
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
s2mela
User

Post by s2mela »

IMG_20211205_113117.jpg
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that s2mela, this is quite helpful.
When the program tries to open a document while the network storage is booting, the program shows a white screen, which is fine. Unfortunately, I can not minimize the program window during this time.
So at this juncture the Editor is trying to open a network shared file from a network resource that is not yet available? Does this happen because you are restoring your previous session at Editor start, or has the Editor already started and you open this from the Editor history/recent documents list?

You are looking for that file open process to be happening in the background so that you can work on other documents while the network resource finishes it own start up?

Is that right?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
s2mela
User

Post by s2mela »

This happens when I start Windows from hibernation and the editor was already open in the last session.

I just want to be able to minimize the program window during this time, so that I can work with another program while waiting.

Thanks
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi again s2mela,

it does look like you are in full screen mode. Does hitting F11 at this time restore the toolbars and buttons to minimize the window?

What about ALT+Tab? Can you not switch away from this windows using that?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
s2mela
User

Post by s2mela »

The program displays the white window as full screen without my intervention.

Thanks for the tip ALT+Tab works. Maybe it would be possible to implement that you can also minimize the program via the minimize icon, because probably not so many users know the ALT+Tab shortcut.

Thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, s2mela

Unfortuantley not, what you are seeing there is windows locking the app as it waits for us to respond, in effect the app has "frozen" This means that any function we did offer there would not be functional while this is happening.
With that said Alt+tab as a shortcut to activate other applications in windows has been around for a few decades at this point, so a fairly large majority of windows users should be quite familiar with it, especially those who are efficiency minded like yourself. It is certainly not a "secret function" that we offer or anything, but a feature windows itself offers.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com