Updates Always a Problem for Me

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

CraigS26
User

Updates Always a Problem for Me

Post by CraigS26 »

OK, I found 2018-19 posts about the same below and Daniel requested Logging data then and a How-To Link for Logging Installation of PDF-X Editor (currently Free but I'd likely do the Paid if requd for help OR Update Free experience) .. I may have chg'd apps before doing so as I don't recall doing this.
SO, should I still Uninstall the App and start from the Logging Link instructions - OR something else?
==============================================================

Local Acct W10 PRO 21H2 Acct W/ Full Admin .... I left PDF-X Only because of consistent Update problems and my return has changed nothing = Blue Screen and hard Pwr Btn Off from having clk'd on Help/ Chk for Updates. 2 Apps weren't closed, close, Explorer won't close, don't close & Re-start may be requd, OK.
In the Blue Screen the "app update just occurred" popup for SAS Pro was seen ........
Since 2019 This desktop has had No Win Ver upgrade/CU issues, or Update issues with any other app......Only PDF-X.

Note: About shows 9.2.359 -- BUT Chk for Updates Now shows Nothing Avail, 9.2.357

I played with Chg Accts via Ctrl-Alt-Del, but returning to my Admin acct showed all Blue, Pwr Btn Off.

It performs very well Vs weird Tab traits of 2 other Apps -- BUT IS there any other way to try - Updating - that may not cause such an issue?
Win 10 Pro 22H2 - Editor Plus v10.2.1.385
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Updates Always a Problem for Me

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Craig,

we have seen a few complaints of Explorer.exe not restarting as expected, but a BSOD is not something we have seen others reporting.

I am not sure I fully understand the state of things now. It seems you eventually did manage to complete an install of 9.2.359.0 which is current, so additional updates would not be expected to be shown.
In the Blue Screen the "app update just occurred" popup for SAS Pro was seen ........
What triggered the BSOD? Was this during the install or does it happen now that 9.2.359.0 is installed?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
CraigS26
User

Post by CraigS26 »

[ What triggered the BSOD? Was this during the install or does it happen now that 9.2.359.0 is installed? ]

Thanks, Paul. Only WHEN there IS an Update to Install Every -- Chk for Updates - Clk Update -- in Help Triggers a BSOD -- AND the UNinstall to Re-install produced the BSOD.

The Install BSOD comes After the popup -- Explorer not Closed, I clk Don't Close- Re-start may be required, OK, and then the BSOD follows. The BSOD DID SHOW the SuperAS App Update just occurred pop-up..

About shows .359 BUT -- Chk for Updates, Nothing Available -- SHOWS 357 Still, so Is it really Updated?

With a New Install & No New Update I can't check for Any Improvement and am willing to wait til then, and then Update this Thread - OR, do whatever you suggest.

The Dnload is Editor V9 x64.MSI .....Would the -- Logging of another Install -- be the next step IF no change in the next Update - AND - would it be the Same Link Daniel provided in 2020 =
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/515-How-do-I-log-an-installation-for-Support

Many Thanks for the Reply. (NOTE my Security Apps in Signature = possible culprit?? )
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Craig,

on discussing this with the development team leader, he tells me we need the installation log file. If I understand your description correctly this should be reproducible even without using Tracker Updater.

Can you please try running the installer for the current version via the command line with the following options for logging"

Code: Select all

msiexec.exe /i \\UNC\path\to\EditorV9.x64.msi /lvx!* \\UNC\path\to\logfile.log
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/EditorV9.x64.msi will always deliver the current version x64 msi installer. Please use that and run the install from a command prompt. If you didn't uninstall first it will prompt you to "Change", "Repair" or "Remove", please choose "Repair" and see if the BSOD happens again.

If the install does not cause the BSOD then the log file will not help. I would suggest uninstalling and trying again, whatever you can do to get that BSOD happening while using that logging option.

Ultimately - we need that log from the event. Do you think you can get one for us?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
CraigS26
User

Post by CraigS26 »

I'll surely do anything to help BUT -- Never having used this install approach -- I must ask the Following:
I Dnload the link's MSI to my Desktop;

The script for the Command Prompt - pretty confused per .....ref both of the words - path ( \\UNC\path ) - Am I to enter something like -- C:\desktop -- for the MSI location in the 1st "path" and for the 2nd "path" enter WHERE I Want the Log File?

Once I get the Scipt correct paste to the Command Prompt, hit Enter, and then REPAIR when asked (IF Uninstall has Not occurred) and see what happens. IF Install successful, Uninstall and Do again Hoping to trigger BSOD.

I'm really not versed on what is simple to you, so confirm or clarify Steps as best you can.

Thanks for the Help! Sorry I'm not Hi-tech.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Craig,

I do apologize for making assumptions!

The \\UNC\path\to was my was of saying that you should specify the absolute path to both the msi and the log file. When running a command the shell (the command prompt environment) needs to know where the executable being called is. For some things Windows knows where to look, there is a variable "path" that is essentially a list of places to look for executables. Most applications never need to be in one of these "paths", you just have to supply the path with the command. You can either call the command from the same folder where it exists, or define where it is. We will use the latter as it can be applied more generically.

The command I used was:

C:\Users\paul\Desktop>msiexec.exe /i EditorV9.x64.msi /lvx!* logfile.log
I did NOT use the full path because I executed the command from the same folder that I had saved the MSI to - the Desktop. Similarly the output also went to the desktop. A more complete command that could be run from any folder on your computer would be

C:\>msiexec.exe /i c:\Users\paul\Desktop\EditorV9.x64.msi /lvx!* c:\Users\paul\Desktop\MyEditorLogfile.log
You would need to change those paths for what is on your system. If you save the installer to the desktop then you should be able to simply replace \paul\ with the appropriate user name. The name of the logile is not critical, anything.log will do.

Note that I did not supply the path to msiexec.exe because it is always in a Windows default path variable. It doesn't need a full path.

With that caveat, then yes you have the right idea. If the BSOD doesn't happen we can't use the resulting log, you ironically yes, we actually ARE hoping for the BSOD this time. If you can put your finger on how to reliably reproduce the BSOD we are in good shape to fix it.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
CraigS26
User

Post by CraigS26 »

I tried the following that Windows doesn't like ....

With the MSI dnloaded to my Desktop ....
Based on your first "script" of -- C:\Users\paul\Desktop>msiexec.exe /i EditorV9.x64.msi /lvx!* PDFXlogfile.log -- I noted that MY Command Prompt STARTS with -- C:\users\Me Admin> -- So I first tried just pasting what's left ----
Desktop>msiexec.exe /i EditorV9.x64.msi /lvx!* PDFXlogfile.log ---- into the Cmd Prompt and got --
'Desktop' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file. --

I don't expect you to teach me Windows but IF it's an easy clarification, I'd appreciate knowing what I'm missing in the instructions.
IS there any chance this works from the RUN command?
Thanks.
lev
User

Post by lev »

Try

"C:\users\Me Admin\Desktop">msiexec.exe /i EditorV9.x64.msi /lvx!* logfile.log
CraigS26
User

Post by CraigS26 »

Below copied from Cmd Prompt Result:

C:\Users\Me Admin>Desktop">msiexec.exe /i EditorV9.x64.msi /lvx!* logfile.log
The system cannot find the path specified.

Your Script's --- "C:\users\Me Admin\Desktop -- with backslash After Me Admin cannot duplicate in Cmd Prompt that defaults
to --- C:\Users\Me Admin>Desktop --- Are the backslash and > equal/same OR does the difference matter.

To clarify, I am Pasting --- Desktop">msiexec.exe /i EditorV9.x64.msi /lvx!* logfile.log --- into the Cmd Prmpt's default ---
C:\Users\Me Admin> --- with the > after Admin Vs \.
lev
User

Post by lev »

Apologies.

"C:\users\Me Admin\Desktop\msiexec.exe" /i EditorV9.x64.msi /lvx!* logfile.log
CraigS26
User

Post by CraigS26 »

C:\Users\Me Admin>Desktop\msiexec.exe" /i EditorV9.x64.msi /lvx!* logfile.log
The system cannot find the path specified.

YOU changed the > after Desktop to \ --- SO the > after Me Admin> -- must be OK.
Cmd Prompt won't allow Me Admin> to become Me Admin\ ...IF it matters .....

Thanks for the follow-up.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, CraigS26

Lev's command is correct, but you need to paste the entire string into the command prompt, so what you see should look like this:
image.png
You ignore the initial portion that the CMD prompt shows entirely, and just paste the full command, then press enter.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
CraigS26
User

Post by CraigS26 »

Early attempt with FULL script appended to Cmd Prompt default script: --

"C:\Users\Me Admin>"C:\users\Me Admin\Desktop\msiexec.exe" /i EditorV9.x64.msi /lvx!* logfile.log
'C:\users\Me Admin\Desktop\msiexec.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Another with shorter Error: (Admin left out of C:\users\Me)

C:\Users\Me Admin>C:\Users\CraigStark Admin>"C:\users\CraigStark Admin\Desktop\msiexec.exe" /I EditorV9.x64.msi /lvx!* logfile.log
'C:\Users\Me' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
mCHSNUg5Pz8cPap
User

Post by mCHSNUg5Pz8cPap »

CraigS26, while you are working on installing the version with logging, you may also want to see what caused the BSOD. You can do this by opening the Event Viewer app (click the search button in Windows and type in Event Viewer; it should find it).

Once you have Event Viewer open, on the top left go to Custom Views-->Administrative Events. This should show you a list of events sorted by date and time. Scroll down in the list to the date and time you last experienced the BSOD and there should be some errors shown. If you select the errors, it will give you a description of what happened (the description is in the gray area below the list of events). This should tell you what happened to cause the BSOD.
Features I really want:
1. Fully customizable toolbars: https://forum.tracker-software.com/viewtopic.php?p=167585
2. Sanitize documents w/o being forced into save as dialog (Acrobat has this!): https://forum.tracker-software.com/viewtopic.php?p=156130
CraigS26
User

Post by CraigS26 »

Thanks, mCHSNUg5Pz8cPap.

I couldn't see a line related to my Install attempts, so I Ran Another Attempt to nail the time for looking in EventViewer for anything helpful.

NOW, I have 2 consecutive BLUE Popups -- THIS APP CAN'T RUN ON YOUR PC. CHK with Publisher ---

In Event Viewer Custom Views/ Admin I'm not seeing an Error for the Install Attempt time-stamp just made - AND on 11/28 (6:37 am) I posted about the BSOD issue BUT looking at 11/27 up to 6:37 on 11/28 I only see ONE line about --- C:\Program Files \ \ \PDF Editor\PDFXEdit.exe (pid5112) cannot be restarted- App does not match Conductor SID ..

Paul, Daniel, at this point I'm willing to live with BSOD's and will space my App Updates far apart.
Really appreciate the Help attempts.
mCHSNUg5Pz8cPap
User

Post by mCHSNUg5Pz8cPap »

Okay, I'm confused. Are you getting a blue screen of death like this or similar to this when you install the update? https://media.itpro.co.uk/image/upload/f_auto,t_primary-image-desktop@1/v1570814016/itpro/blue_screen_of_death.png

If you are, then there should be some errors in Event Viewer saying what happened. The errors may not say anything about PDF-XChange. They may say something else like there is something that happened that caused the computer to unexpectedly shut down.

If you are not getting blue screens of death like what I posted above, then we are dealing with a different situation.
Features I really want:
1. Fully customizable toolbars: https://forum.tracker-software.com/viewtopic.php?p=167585
2. Sanitize documents w/o being forced into save as dialog (Acrobat has this!): https://forum.tracker-software.com/viewtopic.php?p=156130
CraigS26
User

Post by CraigS26 »

The Thread is about Losing my entire Desktop to a Blue Screen that no longer functions, although on the BSOD I did see a popup about an App just being updated. The BSOD has ONLY occurred with Help/Chk for Updates/ Update AND UNinstall.

The Most Recent Popup is YOUR Blue Box with -- This App cannot run on your computer -- and THAT issue came from trying to use Paul's/Daniel's Install/ Log string in Cmd Prompt. The Prior error before App Can't Run was -- 'C:\Users\Me' AND 'C:\users\Me Admin\Desktop\msiexec.exe' --- is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Craig,

maybe we should move this to email and let me do a remote session to get the command running? We are kind of hamstrung without the log file.

please email support@pdf-xchange.com - Attention Paul and refer to this thread. I will see what I can do for you to get this done so that we may further the investigation.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke