Keeping zoom and its location between pages

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

pigeondave
User

Keeping zoom and its location between pages

Post by pigeondave »

Hi to all,

I've just changed jobs and have started using PDf Xchange editor.

I have a small issue with flicking between pages.

I want to zoom into a sheet and flick between sheets by using the page selector arrow at the bottom bottom of the screen, and have the next page be zoomed in at the same location.

What's happening is, when I click for the next page the view location moves to the top left of the new page (still zoomed in).

Is there a way of locking the view so that the new page is in the same place as the last one?
Or picking a point which is to be the centre of the zoomed extent whilst maintaining zoom between pages?

I'm not sure if this has been asked before and I'm not 100% sure I've worded the question correctly.

Thanks in advance.

David
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Keeping zoom and its location between pages

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi pigeondave,

welcome to the Tracker Forums.

Unfortunately there is no such option in the Editor. Zoom should be centered on the cursor when using CTRL+wheel
I would suggest using "Continuous Scrolling" mode to prevent jumping between pages when near the bottom of a page, however the "Next" button will indeed go to the top of the page.
image.png
regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hi all,

You can maybe try the "Ribbon Layout" (available in the View-ribbon - see attached screenshot), where you can scroll through pages horizontally. Make sure that "Continuous" is activated (like indicated here above by Paul, and also in my the attached image).

You can zoom-in to the desired place on a page, then use the horizontal scrollbar for going to the next or the previous page.

Does this help?

Regards.

Willy
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - Switch to Ribbon Layout.png
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that Willy,

If I am zoomed in on on the bottom of the page, even with Ribbon Layout enabled, next page still hits the top of the age for me.

This is expected behaviour.

Do you see something differnt?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your remark.

My answer to this was in the last sentence:
"You can zoom-in to the desired place on a page, then use the horizontal scrollbar for going to the next or the previous page."
i.e. "use the horizontal scrollbar" (instead of the Next Page/Previous Page buttons).

Kind regards.

Willy
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello @all, Dave:

This has been discussed recently, and a number of solutions and workarounds were collected.

I believe that Timur's suggestion #2 could be a good fit for your use case:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=35739&p=148268&hilit=loupe%20tool#p148268

Regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Thanks @David for the additional information.

Still another idea:
What about creating a bookmark with the desired coordinates X and Y, and Zoom for one page.
Then copying this bookmark x-number of times, for each page we need.
After this, editing the copied bookmarks, only changing the page number.
So, each bookmark will go to exactly the same place, with the same zoom, at different pages.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Doh!
"You can zoom-in to the desired place on a page, then use the horizontal scrollbar for going to the next or the previous page."
Maybe I should read more thoroughly... ;-)

I like the Loop Tool suggestion, it avoids having to make and use bookmarks.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
pigeondave
User

Post by pigeondave »

Wow!
Thanks people, I'll have a look at it today.

Nice to see an active forum

Thanks again
pigeondave
User

Post by pigeondave »

Hi,

I can't seem to get the bookmarks to to snap to an area on the sheet.
I have gone in to edit the action and set the destination properties to use page number and use rectangle.

I've drawn a box round the area of interest on the page clicked ok but when i click the book mark it doesnt show the rectangle area which I have drawn.

Any ideas?
Attachments
image.png
pigeondave
User

Post by pigeondave »

Interestingly, if you have it on ribbon layout as described above, the bookmark zoom and centre rectangle doesnt work correctly, hence my issue above.

I needs to be standard layout and not ribbon.

Having the clickable bookmarks which zoom is as good for me as clicking the page number.

Thanks again
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hi David,

I do not know if you created your bookmarks (one for every page) with 'fixed' parameters, because I found something about this that might be of interest for you.

When you create your bookmarks instead with parameters X, Y and zoom = "inherit", then you can first go to a specific place on a page, zoom-in at the desired level, and then, when you click in the Bookmarks panel on whatever other bookmark, it jumps to that other page, exactly at the same location and at the same zoom level. So, you can use it at random, not bound to a specific place on a page, nor to a specific zoom level.

Willy

The Loupe Tool suggestion also seems to be a good working solution, but I do not know what is going wrong at this moment on my computer. I can not get it anymore working to walk through the pages. I can go to previous and next pages in the main window of PDF-XChange Editor, but the content in the Loupe pane does not follow anymore, it stands still onto the first page I selected. I am sure I have seen it working correctly.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

When I try the Loup Tool I found it worked to enable the "Track Mouse" on the Loupe Tool Window and have the main window set to at fit page.

Then with the the mouse over the desired portion of the document the CTRL + Left and CTRL + Right walk me through and the Loupe does show the content update to each page.
LoupeWalkthrough.gif
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke