Bug?!: Highlighting multiple words in multiple documentss - but only on 1 doc?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

pdf-anna
User

Post by pdf-anna »

i have the latest version - 9.1 356 and i think i found a bug.

i open multiple pdfs, like 15.

i search across documents for "any word of", like: alpha beta gamma.

so alpha, beta, and gamma will be marked across all documents.

i click on highlight results.

i choose the color on the top left side (the color on the right sight switches, too).

all documents get the same color, perfect.

bug:
i search now for delta epsilon, again click on highlight all across documents.

however, this time, it highlights only the document that i see on the screen at that very moment in a right way. so the color on the top left and right is the same - see picture 1.
01.JPG
the other documents are highlighted in a color from the last highlight - see picture 02 for the different colors on the left and right side.
02.JPG
so i have go to each document and press the color button again, manually.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Bug?!: Highlighting multiple words in multiple documentss - but only on 1 doc?

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hi,

EDITED:
While creating the explanation below, I discovered where the problem might be:
after highlighting the selected words, these words stay selected.
I do not immediately see a simple way to de-select them all, in all documents, in one click.

These are the steps I am following for highlighting the found words:

1) Open all the documents you like to search in.

2) Click the Search-button in the menu-bar so that the Search-pane shows up.

3) In the Comment-ribbon, click the Highlight-button.

4) In the Commenting Tools/Format-tab, click the color you like for highlighting the found words that will result from your upcoming search.

5) Introduce the word(s) you like to search for, in the first text-box in the Search-pane.
At "WHERE would you like to search", make sure to select "In All Open Documents".

6) Click the Search-button in the Search-pane.
All the instances of the found words will now be selected throughout your different documents.

7) Click the Options-button in the Search-pane, and click Annotate Search Results > Highlight Search Results.

8 ) Click the Options-button again, and click Clear Results.

9) Restart at step 4 - AND HERE IT GOES WRONG

Kind regards.

Willy
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Bug?!: Highlighting multiple words in multiple documentss - but only on 1 doc?

It seems like, instead of the steps 3 and 4 here above, you can better select the highlight color in the Search pane itself, via the Options-button > Annotate Search Results > Comment Styles Palette.

In this Comment Styles Palette, in the column at left, click onto Highlight.
At the right, double-click the highlight-color that you like.
Close the palette.

Continue with step 5.

- - - -

I am still searching for a way to de-select the words after the Search.
Closing the Search pane does not help.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

"Clear Results" should be the most logical way to de-select the found words, but it does not work.

@Tracker Support : Please help !
pdf-anna
User

Post by pdf-anna »

@Willy

Again, thank you so much for the support.

It somehow works, somehow not. I still see the different colors.

So in my opinion, it is more a "bug".

I hope that the support will look here into this topic and give their opinion or will make a bug report for the next update.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Yes, to me it also seems to be a bug, just the case that after coloring the results you can not de-select all the selected words in all the documents in a simple way with just one-click. Repeating, the most logical way would be via "Clear Results" in the shortcut menu.

The only method to de-select, for now, is clicking on each document-tab, and each time pressing the ESCape-key on the keyboard.
After this, you can continue with changing the highlight color and running a new Search.

If Tracker Support does not answer within a few days, I will send them an e-mail.
In normal circumstances, to be honest, they always have a fast response and a splendid support.

Kind regards.

Willy
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Willy and Anna,

Terribly sorry for the delay here, I have not yet been able to reproduce this issue on my end, so my first question is if both of you are running the latest release (9.1.356.0)? If not, please update and try again.
If you are and the issue persists, can I ask one of you to record a video of the process you take to reproduce this? Maybe I am doing something out of habit that stops it, though I have tried a fair few times and actively fought against any of those habits.

As for your question about quickly deselecting the content. It should not be necessary to do so for all documents, as a new search, and application of highlights will deselect the old ones and select the new ones in all unfocused documents automatically. The current document is the only one you need to worry about (so you do not accidentally change the highlight color for those selected highlights. To quickly deselect any comment, you can just click in any blank part of the page when you have the hand, or some commenting tools selected (including the highlighter).

Please tell me if this helps, and if you have any new questions.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hi,

Thank you Daniel for your answer.

I am using the latest version of PDF-XChange Editor 9.1.356.0

Maybe the attached video will make things clear (MP4 included in a ZIP-file).

I have five identical PDF's, except their names, where I search for a few words that I would like to color differently.
It only works for one document, not for the others.

Kind regards.

Willy
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - Color search results.zip
(1.71 MiB) Downloaded 51 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Willy Van Nuffel

I see now. This is not a bug, but a misunderstanding of how the tool works, and is intended to work.
When click the "highlight results" button, the current highlight tool settings are applied at that point to all the other results.

So to accomplish what is needed here, you will need to select the new color for the highlight tool before clicking the "highlight search results" function.
In effect, this is what should be done, note that I click on the page in the current document to deselect the current comments, before changing the highlight color, so that the current items are not affected.
E06tIei1vb.gif
Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Thanks Daniel,

Now that I know how it exactly works, I am able to obtain the desired result. So, it is indeed no bug.

But don't you think it would be better to de-select all the words, in all the pdf's, once they are annotated with highlight ?
At this moment, you must think about first de-selecting the words in the active document, before choosing another color.
And what is strange: even though the words in the other in-active documents stay selected, they themselves do not get recolored.
It is not logic in my way of thinking.

Nevertheless, it is up to Tracker Software to leave it like it is, or to re-think the current design.
If you know "how" it works, it works, there is no discussion about.

I am just still curious about a reaction from the topic starter pdf-anna.

Kind regards.

Willy
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Willy Van Nuffel

Hopefully this helps them at least, I do know that the comments stay selected after a highlight is applied specifically so that you can make any changes you would like to them all quickly and easily, before deselection, so that is an intentional thing.

As for why the application does not cause problems in the other docuemnts, that is a case of focus, and how tools work in relation to it. each document can have a different tool selected at the same time, so activating the highlight tool on DocA and making changes there, does not select the highlight tool on any of the others, and thus no changes are made to those highlights, despite the fact that they remain selected.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
pdf-anna
User

Post by pdf-anna »

Dear Willy, dear Daniel,

sorry for my late reply. I was busy as well :-D.

Yes, I have the latest version - 9.1.356.0.

I can record a video next time when it happens again.

But your picture / short video makes clear it is no bug. But the order it should be done is just different. Got it.

Problem: You can select just between a few colors and not the broader selection of it when changing it afterwards (in "Format") - Any ways there to select from the larger pool of colours upfront?
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hello,

If you like, you can add your own customized colors to the Styles palette:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe9/comment-styles-palette_ed.html

If it only goes about a one time color change, you can click the Fill Color icon in the Format-ribbon, and then click "More Colors" at the bottom of the color toolbox to create and add the color you prefer.

Kind regards.

Willy
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com