Underline Tool Width

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

standish-001
User

Underline Tool Width

Post by standish-001 »

Line tool palette has a px thickness setting. Does the Underline tool have anything comparable? Currently with the Underline tool the thickness is so small it is hard to see.

Alternatively, is there a way to set the line tool to grab the text of whatever is is under?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Underline Tool Width

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello standish-001,

The Underline tool will indeed read the font metrics of the text you want to underline, and use a line with a thicknes calculated from those font metrics. The value we use is the same as in other PDF Products, and I am afraid that it can not be changed from your end.
If you need a 'thick' underline under small size text - you might need to use the Line tool where you can specify the width yourself.

Regards,
Stefan
isaacstein
User

Post by isaacstein »

Well, in fact the line is not only too thin for "small" text, the underline thickness set by the program is too thin for normal text.

As you can see, compare to the underline in the upper part of the screenshot which is made by another app (Xodo Android ver.), the underline in the lower part of the screenshot which is made by PDF Xchange Editor is much thinner. I can barely see it on the screen of my 10" tablet.

I think the thickness of the underline is seriously in need of change. In PDF Xchange Viewer, the underline thickness generated by the program was perfectly fine. I don't know why it becomes so thin in this newer version. Please solve it either by changing the algorithm or by implementing an option for the user to customize the underline thickness. Please!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello isaacstein,

Can you please share a page of this document with us - so that we can run some tests on it as well?

Regards,
Stefan
isaacstein
User

Post by isaacstein »

I attached three pdf files to this post. The Brandom file is the file where the screenshot in my last post was taken. But it is not a special case, underline is too thin in almost every pdf file I have. The Dworkin file and Scanlon file are two other examples.
Attachments
Scanlon, T. M. (2018) Why Does Inequality Matter [Oxford UP]_22.pdf
(23.92 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Dworkin, R. (2011) Justice for Hedgehogs [Harvard UP]_206.pdf
(78.12 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Brandom, R. B. (2009) Reason in Philosophy - Animating Ideas [Belknap Press of Harvard UP]_36.pdf
(664.45 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello isaacstein,

Thanks for the files. Yes - I see that our underlines are thinner than what you have created with that other tool, but in the past we've had complains that our underlines are too thick. So now we are using underlines (and strike throughs) taken as a percentage of the size of the font, and the value we use is comparable (but still slightly larger) than what Adobe uses.
I am afraid that this is something that each application decides for itself, and that other tool you have apparently have chosen to use much thicker lines.
We are not going to make ours any thicker I am afraid - and here's a comparison (with the respecitve strike throughs and underlines done in Adobe and in our products) - with our underlines being slightly wider than what Adobe does:
Underline_comparison.png
Season's Greetings,
Stefan
evdbogaard
User

Post by evdbogaard »

I agree with the original poster that the text underline tool thickness is too thin. And not only that, its distance to the text is also too small.

Now I can understand that each application manufacturer has to make it's own choices, but wouldn't it be possible to implement these choices as default setting, giving the user to possibility to adjust these setting according to his needs? Using the line tool as a work around is only usable for short pieces of text and not nearly as practical as the underline tool.

Is the underline setting hard codes or might this be adjustable by means of a register setting (I know, I know: on my own risk ... :D ).
Ed van den Bogaard
Happy PDF-XChange PRO user since 2008 (version 4)
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello evdbogaard,

All we can do is to make an official Feature Request and wait... probably for a rejection, but we will see....

This is the ticket number:

5170 FR: Adding ability to set the line thickness of the underline tool

Regards.
Toygun
User

Post by Toygun »

Hello,

Will this feature be added in the new version?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Toygun

Unfortunately no, there has not been progress on this ticket in a while, and currently it is not something planned for an upcoming release. I will mention that there is more demand for this, but I still cannot promise that it will be implemented.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Toygun
User

Post by Toygun »

Hi Daniel,

I think there is a problem with PDF XChange Editor's display of underlines. Because the lines I draw with the PDF-XChange Editor look fine on other 3 readers at the same resolution.

I also noticed two things:

• If the pdf has a white rectangular layer, the underline is displayed badly (too thin).
  • If the fonts on the same page are different, italicized, the sizes are inconsistent, the underline is displayed badly (too thin).
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the additional input Toygun,

I explicitly added your observations/comments to the ticket.

I expect that this is still likely a low priority item I am afraid.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
kt
User

Post by kt »

Just want to add my support for this request. A user-configurable underline width would be ideal.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello kt,

Thanks for adding your voice!
Ticket 5170 is still in our system, but is for now with a lower priority! I will see if this can be raised!

Kind regards,
Stefan
igorlima
User

Post by igorlima »

Hi guys! although having in mind that this is in low priority, but as #youneverknow, I just want to express my support in seeing the FR nº 5170 attend too. Thank you!
Igor
PDF-XChange Editor fan :)
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

Also expressing my request in the same direction.
Perhaps as an underline width option (and color, like pencil) it would be even better and would suit a wide range of users. :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink:
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

lindermman wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:31 am Also expressing my request in the same direction.
Perhaps as an underline width option (and color, like pencil) it would be even better and would suit a wide range of users. :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink:
This is already allowed, indirectly, if you edit the text and underline the part of the text you want. Then, using the "shapes" function, which allows you to select and edit only shapes, select the underline and edit color and thickness.
However, when you have a text of dozens of pages to read, study and mark up, it would be much more help if there was a specific function for this purpose.
Just one more suggestion to help improve and differentiate the software even further! :wink: :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello lindermman,

Thanks for your suggestion!
Yes - if you use e.g. squiggly underline - that might be needed, but the majority of times you would need to underline with a straight line.
In those cases a much quicker way to place 'thick' underlines would be to just use the line tool. You can set it up with any desired width, and then with the Shift key you can ensure that this line will be placed exactly horizontal.

Kind regards,
Stefan
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:01 am Hello lindermman,

Thanks for your suggestion!
Yes - if you use e.g. squiggly underline - that might be needed, but the majority of times you would need to underline with a straight line.
In those cases a much quicker way to place 'thick' underlines would be to just use the line tool. You can set it up with any desired width, and then with the Shift key you can ensure that this line will be placed exactly horizontal.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Yes! But if it had the same functionality as the highlight function, it would be even better!
It is a suggestion. :wink: :mrgreen:
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello lindermman,

The "Highlight tool" sets up a blending mode, so you can use the same blending mode for lines used as underlines, and even for the pencil tool if you'd like:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... tly-images

Kind regards,
Stefan
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

In my case, I really use the pencil tool because I have a Wacom table and my material is for my own use. It's okay if it looks scribbled.
However, for those working with somewhat more formal documents, the functionality requested in the underline tool would help a lot. And I repeat what I said, for those who work with documents with dozens of pages, if it had the same functionality as the highlight tool, it would be of great value.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello lindermman,

Then you can put the suggestions from the KB to good use for freehand highlights with your Wacom device!
And yes - I understand your point, but unfortunately underline and highlight are with different petametres available for them in the PDF specification and the underline width for now will remain auto calculated based on the size of the text being underlined.

Kind regards,
Stefan
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:19 pm Hello lindermman,

Then you can put the suggestions from the KB to good use for freehand highlights with your Wacom device!
And yes - I understand your point, but unfortunately underline and highlight are with different petametres available for them in the PDF specification and the underline width for now will remain auto calculated based on the size of the text being underlined.

Kind regards,
Stefan
:wink: Done!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, lindermman & All

I wanted to mention that, after seeing the support in this thread, I have put forth a request to increase this items priority further. Though it is currently still low priority, I expect that may change in the near future.
As Stefan mentioned there are some issues with relation to changing this and the PDF specification, but we will be looking into what possible options are available. I do not expect this will be something which can be done in any short timeframe, but perhaps we can see a change in the future.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

It's for answers and actions like this that I like and praise this software and the work of the support team!
I commented on another topic in this forum and I'll repeat it here: Thank you very much and congratulations for all your amazing work, team!
I don't remember seeing anything similar in any other software: the attention given to users and accepting suggestions.
Thank you very much and congratulations!!!!!
I really admire your work!!

May the force be with you!! :wink: :D :D :D
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Underline Tool Width

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
nizdi
User

Post by nizdi »

Any update on that? I know an android app that can change the thickness of the underline, so I guess this feature might be implemented. It's just bad that some times you underline a text and you can barely see you did.

Thank you!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, nizdi

The issue is certainly not impossible to offer, nor particularly difficult, the trouble is that the ISO PDF Specification does not make any allowances or outlines for it. This means that any implementation offered by ANY application out there, is not standardized. I could even go as far as to say that I know of a fair few which do offer this feature, but none of them are "big names" like Adobe, Foxit, PDF-Xchange, Etc, specifically because they dont adhere to the Spec well enough, and create highly problematic documents due to that.

We always adhere to the PDF specification, to ensure that documents we create are universally compatible, because doing anything which is undocumented, or does not have a standard is liable to confuse any other application which opens that document. This can lead to numerous issues if alterations are ever made to that undocumented object, sometimes insubstantial issues, like the line thickness being lost; in other cases, something as simple as having an underline width when there logically shouldn't be could corrupt the entire document can leave it in an irreparable state.

This is why we are taking a very long time to sit down, think all of this through, try to come up with an implementation that is "safe" and debate if that is enough. In all likelihood, this still will not change until the PDF specification itself changes to allow underline width, but we shall see.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
nizdi
User

Post by nizdi »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:43 pm Hello, nizdi

The issue is certainly not impossible to offer, nor particularly difficult, the trouble is that the ISO PDF Specification does not make any allowances or outlines for it. This means that any implementation offered by ANY application out there, is not standardized. I could even go as far as to say that I know of a fair few which do offer this feature, but none of them are "big names" like Adobe, Foxit, PDF-Xchange, Etc, specifically because they dont adhere to the Spec well enough, and create highly problematic documents due to that.

We always adhere to the PDF specification, to ensure that documents we create are universally compatible, because doing anything which is undocumented, or does not have a standard is liable to confuse any other application which opens that document. This can lead to numerous issues if alterations are ever made to that undocumented object, sometimes insubstantial issues, like the line thickness being lost; in other cases, something as simple as having an underline width when there logically shouldn't be could corrupt the entire document can leave it in an irreparable state.

This is why we are taking a very long time to sit down, think all of this through, try to come up with an implementation that is "safe" and debate if that is enough. In all likelihood, this still will not change until the PDF specification itself changes to allow underline width, but we shall see.

Kind regards,
I can't even be sad for not implementing this idea after such a devoted reply. Thank you so much. Keep the good work, as always!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Underline Tool Width

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Hi, I need to correct multiple books for my students every year and use different types to show errors. Squiggly is one of the commonly used tools, but the resulting line is horrible thin - would be great to have an additional parameter to set the line width from thin to medium or even really fat :roll:
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Puffolino

If line thickness was not defined by the spec, as something that must be automatically determined by the size of the text being underlined, we would be happy to offer this. Sadly it is, and so our hands are tied on this matter.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com