reduce size of inserted page

A picture is worth a thousand words. We have created some pdfs tutorials showing common tasks.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

brubacherp
User

reduce size of inserted page

Post by brubacherp »

When I insert a pdf page into my active pdf, the new page is very large compared to the rest of the pages. How can I reduce the size of the new page to match the rest of the pages?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: reduce size of inserted page

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello brubacherp,

We would need to know how are you inserting this new page.
Are you inserting a new empty page, or are you dragging and dropping it from another PDF file, or maybe creating it from an image?

Best,
Stefan
brubacherp
User

Post by brubacherp »

Insert pdf as a new page
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello brubacherp,

I am afraid that you can not control the new page's size as it will be taken from the source PDF with all it's dimensions, and yes a PDF document can have all it's pages with different sizes - it's perfectly possible and valid.

What I could think of as a solutions is to insert those pages, and then "print" the new merged PDF via our PDF XChange printing driver - and force it to scale all bigger pages to the size of the smallest page - this way you will have a document where all pages would have the same size.

Best,
Stefan
Ryan
User

Post by Ryan »

Stefan... may I ask a question about this because it is related to something I would like to understand better.

When you print an already existing pdf, say one that has previously been printed through the print driver, doesn't that diminish the quality of the images produced?

Doesn't a pdf lose some quality each time you pass it through the print driver?

Thanks for helping me understand this!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Ryan,

It is only the raster images that can suffer - all vector objects are "printed" without any loss of quality.

As for the raster objects inside a PDF - yes they would generally get a bit worse with every reprint, but you could turn off image compression for some such special cases - the files could become bigger but the image quality would be untouched.

Best,
Stefan
realmadridfan
User

Post by realmadridfan »

this is also a problem for me because i get to insert pdfs as new pages very often. will your -probably 2013- version come with a solution to this?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Yes ;-)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com