HowTo install and configure in a Terminal Server enviroment

A picture is worth a thousand words. We have created some pdfs tutorials showing common tasks.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Mischa
User

HowTo install and configure in a Terminal Server enviroment

Post by Mischa »

Hi

is there a HowTo or Best practice for installing PDF-XChange PRO in a Terminal Server environment?

We use several terminal server in our environment which are distributed with images (Virtual Machines). As standard the free PDF-XChange Viewer should be installed.

For some but not all customers on a server, PDF-XChange PRO must be installed.

The questions:
- Can PDF-XChange PRO simply installed over the free version and does complement this then also accordingly?
- How can I configure on a terminal server the access in such a way that only selected users can access the Pro-Version and others only the viewer?

As an example:
1 terminal server - 20 users - 3 licensed Pro-User - rest should use PDF-XChange Viewe as a viewer?

Best regards
Mischa
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Howto install and configure in a Terminal Server enviroment

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Mischa,

I must apologize for the delay in answering this post. I seem to have missed it.

When licensing on a Terminal Server you have 2 options available to you:

1. Install with the license key so that all users have access to the "Pro" features then restrict access to the application by using a group policy and/or file permissions

or

2. Install as a 'Free' installation and supply the serial key to only those users who should have the Pro features. Since the serial key is stored on a per user basis you can run the single installation for both Free and Pro users without involving permissions or other controls. In a mixed environment like you are suggesting I recommend the this approach.

Which ever method you choose just be sure that you own enough PDF-XChange Licenses to cover the users who have access to the Pro features.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com