Corrupt File After Saving

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools SDK of Library DLL functions(only) - Please use the PDF-XChange Drivers API SDK Forum for assistance with all PDF Print Driver related topics or PDF-XChange Viewer SDK if appropriate.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

jeffp
User

Corrupt File After Saving

Post by jeffp »

I have a corruption issue I can't seem to make sense of. See the attached two files.

Document1.pdf is a file from a client. I am able to open and save this file with the code below.

Document1 - Append.pdf is the same Document1.pdf but with two pages appended to the end using your DLL calls. However, if I open and then save this document with the code below, the file gets corrupted.

Any idea what's wrong with the appended file?

NOTE: I can open and save the append file in the ViewerAX just fine. It's just in the DLL calls it gets corrupted.

Code: Select all

hr := PXCp_ReadDocumentW(FDocID, PWChar(WideString(AFileName)), 0);

hr := PXCp_WriteDocumentW(FDocID,
      PWChar(WideString(AFileName)),
      PXCp_CreationDisposition_Overwrite,
      PXCp_Write_NoRelease);

Attachments
Document1.zip
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 174 times
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Corrupt File After Saving

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

Strange behaviour. Resulting document contain reference to non-existing object (PDFCreactiveX), and it is strange that this object was not saved.
Can you provide sample code which help us reproduce such problem?
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Strange. The PDFCreativeX object is a reference to the old PDF component we used from Amyuni Technologies before we switched to your PDF tools.

Is the object in both the Document1.pdf AND the Document1 - Append.pdf files?

Document1-Append.pdf was createf only with your tools so it sounds like the PDFCreativeX object was there to begin with in Document1.pdf (the original file). Is that correct? or not?

If so, the strange this is why can you open and save Document1.pdf and not the append file.

Again, the Document1.pdf is already in existence on a client machine and they have many other files like it.

Please let me know if PDFCreativeX object was in the original Document1.pdf file and I'll work up some sample code.
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Reference present in both files, orginal file contain referenced object, merged - no (but reference remains there, and this is why it cannot be processed using xcpro40).
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

If the original file contains the referenced object, then is there anything that can be done so that we can merge more PDF pages from other PDFs into the original file. Again, the original file is something the client already has on the machine.

Why does using the ViewerAX work to open and save both files, but it crashes on the merged file using the PCXp calls?

Is there a way for me to analyze and correct the original before trying to append more pages to it? What can be done here?
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

I've been playing with this a bit more. It appears the corruption issue happens the second time you try to do something with the document. For example, if I open Document1.pdf and then append a page or two from another clean PDF document, I can then save the new document just fine using the DLL calls. However, if I then append more pages to this new document, then I get the corruption issue when saving.

Is there a way to handle the bad object in the DLL calls? This original PDF I sent you was created using the Amyuni Technologies PDF driver. The company has some pretty big clients including Intuit which makes alot of the accounting software packages. Since we sell to alot of accounting offices, we're afraid this issue may come up again and again since it's likely that these office have a lot of PDFs that were created with this bad driver. I understand that Amyuni is at fault here, but is there a way to handle this bad object in your DLL calls so that the file can be successfully appended to and saved.

Also, as I mentioned before, you appear to handle this bad object just fine in the ViewerAX when saving. Is it possible to do the same in the DLL calls.

Thanks.
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Can you provide PXCp_... function call sequence to reproduce corruption? Looks like there is problem with specific files(s) and call sequence. File for testing I already have :)
And will se what can be done to handle already corrupted files (Viewer has completely different and more advanced code to handle pdf files, and it is impossible to migrante xcpro to this code until next version of library).
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Attached is a nice clean self-contained Delphi project that should illustrate how to produce the corrupted file. The main code is in Unit1.pas.

Please confirm that the attachment came through ok.
Last edited by jeffp on Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI jeffp,

I heard from Lzcat that the team is working on a fix for this and are trying to get it into 2.5. Of course 2.5 is still "almost ready" and we don't want to add any new commitments that may delay it even further. We'll have to wait and see what the team can do. What ever the result, know that they are doing all they can and then some.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Knowing that a fix is coming is my main concern. To get it in 2.5 would be great, but I understand if it has to follow. Thanks for the update.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Jeff,

your patience and support are appreciated.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi jeffp,

2.5 beta is out. Do let us know how that gos for you.

:-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

I'm out all week, but will pick it up on Monday and let you know.
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Current v2.5 beta (build 188) does not include required fix, it will be avail with next build (189).
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Any idea when build 189 will be out?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Unless other factors intervene, 7-10 days Jeff.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Appears to be fixed in build 189. Thanks much.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

It appears that this corruption issue has returned for my client. Attached is a self contained project with two files (Document1.pdf and Document2.pdf). Document1.pdf gets corrupted when I try to append Document2.pdf into it.

Is this a similar issue as before? Can it be fixed as well.

I know this is probably an issue the how Amyuni created the PDF, but my client notes that the same appending routine does work in Adobe without getting a corrupted file. And I just tested it in the ViewerAX and it does work there as well.

Also, can I ask you to remove the attached zip file from this post once you have downloaded the file. Thanks.
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Got files and problem is reproduced.
Will fix in next build.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Was this something similiar to the reason the last file I sent was corrupted. Do you think this next fix will take care of any other bad files created by that Amyuni Print Driver? I'd hate for my client to come back yet again with another bad file that may be a bit different still.

I'd like to continue using the DLLs to append files, etc., in non-visual contexts. However, I could create a non-visual instance of the ViewerAX and do my appending, etc., from there since it seems to handle bad files better than the DLLs. What do you suggest here? Do I understand correctly that in next major version both the DLLs and ViewerAX will be using the same underlying code?

Thanks again.
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Issue was because one of files was broken and this was not correctly handled during save. Now it is fixed, so there should be no more issues with such files. However xcpro has issues with most broken files, which AX can handle. But using xcprto you have much more control during merging and additional functionality, which is not avail in Viewer AX. So this will be not easy decision - which way to prefer.
Yes, new major update for Viewer / DLLs will share same code to deal with pdf files.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Just to confirm, the fix will be in build 191. Correct? I have 190 now.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Yep,

"Now it is fixed" means that the solution is implemented already, and will be available to everyone with the next build which will be 191.

Cheers!
Stefan