PDF Tools SDK slow to display PDF

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools SDK of Library DLL functions(only) - Please use the PDF-XChange Drivers API SDK Forum for assistance with all PDF Print Driver related topics or PDF-XChange Viewer SDK if appropriate.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

zbarna
User

PDF Tools SDK slow to display PDF

Post by zbarna »

Hi!

In our program we want to display a pdf in a usercontrol with a zoom and rotate button.

I made it with the PDF Tools SDK, but it's very slow because, it redraws the pdf every time when the onpaint event is called.

We made the same with an activeX control with the pdf xchange, and it shows pdf xchange viewer in a usercontrol, which is fast, but I'm not sure which license is good for us.

I saw on your homepage the PDF Xchange activeX sdk, but it's very expensive, and it contains a lot of functions, which is unnecessary for us.

So we need only a pdf viewer in our program in a usercontrol, with an interface, where we can call zoom and rotate method from our program.

Could you advice us, which license would be the best for us?

Thanks a lot for your information in advance!

Best Regards,
Zoli

UPDATE:

I forgot to say, if it's possible to display a pdfviewer in activex control with the PDF Tools SDK, it's good for us. Is it possible?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF Tools SDK slow to display PDF

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello zbarna,

If you want - you can also take a look at the Simple DLL Viewer SDK:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product ... le-dll-sdk
Which is cheaper than the AX version, and will allow you to render the PDF with any zoom and rotation you like, and you can then implement the zoom +/- and rotate buttons as part of your main application interface.

Also - please do let us know the distribution volume of your application - and we might be able to offer you a cheaper SDK product which still includes the Viewer SDK functionality (with less than the 25 000 distributions included in the Viewer only licenses).

Best,
Stefan
zbarna
User

Post by zbarna »

Thanks for the fast answer!

I will try the simple dll viewer sdk.

We want to use our program on around 200 computers.

I read this: STOP PRESS: Now includes PDF Viewing functionality !
here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-tools-sdk

What does it mean? The PDF Tools SDK contains pdf viewing functionality as well?

Thanks for your answer in advance!

Best Regards,
Zoli
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Zoli,

This means that if you purchase a PDF Tools SDK license - you can then apply (by filling in a Viewer SDK license agreement) for a viewer SDK key - that would be good for up to 2500 distributions of your software - much more than the 200 you need.

So I would advise you to also test the Simple Viewer SDK and decide whether it's better suiting your needs than the Viewer AX. Then all that would be left is to purchase a Tools SDK license and apply for the Viewer SDK one.

Best,
Stefan
zbarna
User

Post by zbarna »

Thanks!

We installed the Simple Viewer SDK trial version from your homepage.

We found two controls in the COM components:

PDF-XChange Viewer Simple ActiveX
PDF-XChange Viewer ActiveX Control

In my opinion, we are able to use only the PDF-XChange Viewer Simple ActiveX with the simple viewer sdk license, but we don't know how to rotate and zoom, because with the PDF-XChange Viewer ActiveX Control we can rotate and zoom, with the doverb function, and setproperty function, with the right parameters, but the PDF-XChange Viewer Simple ActiveX hasn't got setproperty function, and has a doverb function only with one param.

Can you help me, how to rotate with the pdf-xchange viewer simple activex control, or is it possible to use the PDF-XChange Viewer ActiveX Control with the simple viewer sdk license?

Best Regards,
Zoli
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Zoli,

Using the Simple DLL SDK - you can render a portion of a PDF to a device context - and then handle that and display the rendered image to your users - and before requesting a render - you can specify the zoom and rotation you want.

The Viewer AX is almost a 100% copy of our end user Viewer - so it offers more tools - but also more ways for your users to control the PDF - something you might not want to provide to them.

Please check the
C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange Viewer SDK\Examples\<<Your programming language>>\PXCView36 sample to see what the Simple DLL SDK can do.

Best,
Stefan
zbarna
User

Post by zbarna »

Hi!

Yes, first I made the usercontrol as I saw it in this example: C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange Viewer SDK\Examples\<<Your programming language>>\PXCView36, what you suggested to me. The problem with that, it's very slow, because it's drawing with the onpaint event every time I scroll on the pdf.

We downloaded the trial version of this product: PDF-XChange Viewer Simple DLL SDK, and we found PDF-XChange Viewer ActiveX Control in the list of the COM components, which is the copy of your end user Viewer as you said, and which is much more faster than the control in the PXCView36 example. Does the Simple Viewer SDK license contain the PDF-XChange Viewer ActiveX Control as well? If not, why is it in the trial version?

Thanks for the answer in advance!

Best Regards,
Zoli
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Zoli,

No the Simple DLL and the AX SDKs are separate, but if you purchase a PDF Tools SDK license - we can provide you with a CDLP limited to 2500 distributions for either of the two - and it seems like you are happier with the AX one :)

Best,
Stefan
zbarna
User

Post by zbarna »

Hi!

Super :) . So If we purchase the PDF Tools SDK license, you can provide PDF-XChange Viewer ActiveX Control, what we want :) , and the 2500 limit is enough for us.

And when we will purchase the PDF Tools SDK license, we will have to ask for the PDF-XChange Viewer ActiveX Control license as well, right?

Best Regards,
Zoli
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Zoli,

Once you purchase the PDF Tools license - do write to sales@pdf-xchange.com - and we will send you the License Agreement you need to fill in for us to provide you with the Viewer AX license key.

Best,
Stefan
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

Post by Walter-Tracker Supp »

zbarna wrote:Hi!

Yes, first I made the usercontrol as I saw it in this example: C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange Viewer SDK\Examples\<<Your programming language>>\PXCView36, what you suggested to me. The problem with that, it's very slow, because it's drawing with the onpaint event every time I scroll on the pdf.
With the simple viewer DLL (which is included with the pro SDK, or available separately) you have to implement your own mechanisms to handle this, by drawing to a memory device context and repainting the screen only as necessary, and handling invalidated / redraw regions carefully.

Otherwise, as Stefan suggests, the Active X control is a good way to take advantage of all the performance tweaks and features of our end-user viewer, but in a customizable way in your application.
zbarna
User

Post by zbarna »

Stefan: Thanks for the informations, we will do it as you wrote. :)

Walter: Thanks for your reply! Yes, we were thinking that way, but we don't want to implement that, because we saw your end user viewer in a user control, and it works nice and fits for us, and the PDF Tools SDK license contains the PDF-XChange Viewer ActiveX Control license with 2500 limitation, which is enough for us, so we will use that :) .
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)