Page renumbering

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools SDK of Library DLL functions(only) - Please use the PDF-XChange Drivers API SDK Forum for assistance with all PDF Print Driver related topics or PDF-XChange Viewer SDK if appropriate.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

anovy
User

Page renumbering

Post by anovy »

Hi,
On your PDF-Tools SDK web page you advertise this:
New Placement functionality for watermarks and also Text masking and Replacement functionality to allow page renumbering etc on merged/extracted PDF files.
Unfortunately in the documentation I cannot find anything about this. Do you have some guidelines how to achive the page renumbering for merged or extracted PDF files (what API functions to use and how)?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Page renumbering

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Actual text replacement is theoretically possible using the low level API - but as the doc's state - there is no support given for the low level API and you will need to be extremely proficient and knowledgeable in regards the PDF format itself to achieve this - but there is a simpler way ...

Using the watermark function to overlay a text box with the required values along the footer location (for example).

HTH
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
anovy
User

Post by anovy »

So if I good understand, the advertised "Text masking and Replacement functionality" can be used only by the supreme PDF professionals (as you)? And it is without any support? So why you advertise this among the main PDF-Tools features on your web page for regular developers?

Anyway, do you provide at least some support (help, guidelines) for the mentioned watermark method? Can this be achieved by a text watermark, or only by image watermark? And how I can recognize what text represents the header or footer, its size and position etc.?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Replacement and masking of text is achieved by using the watermark functions - either text or image based watermarks.

The use of the Low Level API and the ability to do certain things is clearly stated where applicable and we do not suggest anywhere that you can directly edit text objects or any page level objects using any of our products - except by using the low level API !

Use of watermarks is demonstrated in several of the example apps provided - please investigate them ...

As to placement - this is done on a co-ordinate basis - so you will need to establish where on the page you wish to place the text/image watermarks accordingly.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
anovy
User

Post by anovy »

Thank you. Could you please also explain if the headers and footers are special entities? By other words: The question is, if I can recognize, what text element is header or footer, so I will know what text to cover by watermark.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

It is highly unlikely you will be able to recognise by anything other than the position visually - but if you upload a couple of sample pages showing what you need to replace - once seen, we can comment further - please zip any pages/files before uploading.

Best regards
Tracker Support
anovy
User

Post by anovy »

I think it is not necessary at the moment. I just needed to know if the headers/footers are some special entities in PDF hierarchy, or if they are just standard text as any other text. Thank you.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Ok - good luck.

Best regards
Tracker Support