Upgrading from version 3 to version 4

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools SDK of Library DLL functions(only) - Please use the PDF-XChange Drivers API SDK Forum for assistance with all PDF Print Driver related topics or PDF-XChange Viewer SDK if appropriate.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kenbla
User

Upgrading from version 3 to version 4

Post by kenbla »

Hello, we are currently using both version 3 and version 4 of PDFXChange in a Borland Delpi environment. We are now planning to get rid of all version 3 functionality and replace them with the equivalent functions in version 4.
We are currently using the following version 3 functions:
- PXCp_ReadDocumentW
- PXCp_WriteDocumentW
- PXCp_AddWatermark
- PXCp_Init
- PXCp_llGetPageCount
- PXCp_InsertPagesTo
- PXCp_GetPagesCount
- PXCp_Delete
and the following constants:
- PXCp_CreationDisposition_Overwrite
- PXCp_Write_Release
- PXCp_Write_NoRelease

Is this an easy task to do? and how do you suggest that I proceed?
Regards,
Kenbla
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading from version 3 to version 4

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

'is this Easy' is always a relative and loaded question :)

We think its easy ...

And the best way to start is to check the examples and doc's - but I really dont think it should pose too much of an issue - and as you say - you are already using V4 partially - so if anything it should make your app more streamlined, lighter and easier to maintain.

HTH
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
kenbla
User

Post by kenbla »

The problem is that we didn't get any documentation when we installed version 4 so I have no place to look!
Is there any documentation which describes how to perform the functions mentioned in my initial question? And where can I find it if that's the case? The only documentation that I have seen is the 70 page SDK document which describes the print driver if I understand this correctly.
We use the PDFXChange print driver (v. 4) in our application today when we save for example html pages as pdf documents but we want to avoid to use the print driver for reading, writing, deleting, merging pdf documents, watermarking them etc. We want to use methods and functions instead of the print driver, in version 3 they were provided in DLL files but how do we do it the "version 4 way"?
Is this at all possible in version 4 or do we have to use the old fashioned print driver?
Regards,
Kenbla
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Kenbala,

The PXCp_ functions are now described in the PDF Tools SDK help file.
They are part of the XCPRO40 Library.

So please download the tools SDK
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-tools-sdk
And have a look at the manual supplied with it.

All of the functions you are using have retained their names, and all of them + all three of your constants are mentioned in the SDK manual, so the transition to fully using ver4 only should be relatively easy.

Best,
Stefan
kenbla
User

Post by kenbla »

OK thanks. So what you are saying is that we need yet another of your products (the tools SDK). We have already bought PDF XChange Pro and PDF XChange Driver API.
Do we still have to copy the dll files to same path as our .exe files, the same way as in version 3?
Regards,
Kenbla
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Kenbala,

If you have a PRO SDK license this includes the Tools one.
As for the dlls - yes they should still be distributed with your application, and preferably in the same directory.

Best,
Stefan
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

AND - you should download the PDF-XChange PRO SDK in this case - which includes all the DLL's, Driver, examples - AND DOC's - if you dont have these - then you have not downloaded the correct installer.

Further - in your first post you said you were already using parts of Version 4 and also Version 3 - in which case you would already have the requried dll's and must be distributing them to use them ????

Here is the location to download the latest PRO SDK
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads/sdk
Its ther 6th item on the page - PDF-XChange PRO SDK - not just the Viewer PRO SDK !

HTH
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com