Converting large number of PDFs to TIFF  SOLVED

This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools SDK of Library DLL functions(only) - Please use the PDF-XChange Drivers API SDK Forum for assistance with all PDF Print Driver related topics or PDF-XChange Viewer SDK if appropriate.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

AnKeilha
User

Converting large number of PDFs to TIFF

Post by AnKeilha »

Hello,
I would like to convert a large number of PDFs to TIFF, while making sure that the generated TIFFs look exactly like they would look in the PdfXChange-Editor. I would prefer to run it on a Unix/Linux-Server, but a Windows server would be possible as well.

Is the PDF-Tool SDK the right product to do this?

Regards,
AnKeilha
AnKeilha
User

Re: Converting large number of PDFs to TIFF

Post by AnKeilha »

Hello again,
I am a little bit surprised that I did not get any answer so far. :-)

Should I buy the PDF-Tool SDK?

Regards,
AnKeilha
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi AnKeilha,

sorry for missing your post.

"Do you really need an SDK" would be my first question. We have an end user product that may fit the bill, have you looked at PDF-Tools? https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-tools

PDF-Tools is designed to batch process large numbers of PDF files and shares a lot in common with the Editor. It should give you the same results as the Editor, can be automated, and should work for you "right out of the box", so to speak.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
AnKeilha
User

Post by AnKeilha »

Hello Paul,
thanks for the reply.

What we need is something that we could use as a microservice for converting PDFs to TIFF. Preferebly something that can be accessed via a REST service and runs on Linux.

But MS Windows is not a deal breaker. Can we run PDF-Tools as a service on Windows? Can it be access via HTTP/REST?

Regards,
AnKeilha
AnKeilha
User

Post by AnKeilha »

Hello Paul,
I have done some basic evaluation of PDF-Tools. Using something like the following:

PDFXTools /RunTool:showui=no;showprog=no;showrep=no {03CACFFE-591C-484F-8AEFD0E9001B0851} C:\Temp\Input-12345678.pdf

where {03CACFFE-591C-484F-8AEFD0E9001B0851} is the GUID of my Image-Export Tool created with PDF-Tools. I can generate a TIFF file for every page in a given input PDF document. It runs headlessly and the conversion finishes after a few seconds. Great!

There is just one minor issue: The command returns immediately after I press the return key, i.e. a few seconds before the actual TIFF export is finished. Is there any way to cause the command line call to exit after (!) all the TIFF files have been created?

Best regards,
AnKeilha
AnKeilha
User

Post by AnKeilha »

Hello again,
I was just wondering, if you missed my question above from two weeks ago.

Any advice regarding my question on blocking/non-blocking behaviour?

Regards
AnKeilha
AnKeilha
User

Post by AnKeilha »

Hello again,
any information on my questions above?

Regards,
Andreas
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, AnKeilha

I am sorry that this topic has been missed for as long as it has, We will be checking with the Dev team shortly to see what can be done in this respect, but at the moment I am unsure if this is possible with a simple command line action.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Re: Converting large number of PDFs to TIFF  SOLVED

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi AnKeilha.
There is just one minor issue: The command returns immediately after I press the return key, i.e. a few seconds before the actual TIFF export is finished. Is there any way to cause the command line call to exit after (!) all the TIFF files have been created?
There is one option that may help you:

start /w PDFXTools /RunTool:showui=no;showprog=no;showrep=no {03CACFFE-591C-484F-8AEFD0E9001B0851} C:\Temp\Input-12345678.pdf

HTH.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.