Bookmark at document start

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

indalgds
User

Bookmark at document start

Post by indalgds »

Is it possible to create a custom named bookmark pointing to the first page of a pdf document created thru the printer driver?

In my usecase, this is required because the created pdf files is to be merged with other files later.
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Bookmark at document start

Post by Chris - Tracker Supp »

Hi indalgds,

Yes please refer to the PDFX4DRV_API.pdf Help File Topic 3.2.4 Method AddBookmarkItem pg.44.

Regards,
Chris
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Chris Attrell
Tracker Sales & Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
indalgds
User

Post by indalgds »

As I understood the method AddBookmarkItem it adds a rule to autodetect text formated with a given font, size and/or style as bookmarks. If that is true, it will not work here. As written in my first post, I need to add a bookmark using a provided text that is not part in the created pdf file.

Another example is an image that is printed thru the pdf-xchange driver to get the pdf file. In that case no text detection rule can ever create a bookmark because the pdf file simply does not contain any text.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

No, I'm afraid there are no ways to create such bookmark via the driver.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

One possible suggestion, if you are using Driver API SDK you have full control over printing and you have code which to do this. So it is possible to do the following - providing you also have a PDF-XChange PRO SDK or PDF-Tools SDK license - the driver alone is insufficient regarding licensed use of this function:

1. Print each part to a separate file and collect names, but do not merge them via the print driver.

2. Merge the files using the PDF-Tools SDK xcpro40 library, adding the required bookmarks.

This will require more coding, but you will have more control and possibilities. For example you may sign resulting merged PDF file, add some other content, separate pages, etc.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.