Does V4 work with Windows Vista and / or XP

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kidzopa
User

Does V4 work with Windows Vista and / or XP

Post by kidzopa »

Property IPXCControlEx.Printer

This property allows the creation of a new temporary printer based on the PDF-XChange 4.0 driver and returns the IPXCPrinter object associated with this printer.

(Please note at the time of writing a bug exists in MS Windows which may block this functionality from functioning in some versions of Windows)

is in the help file

WHAT VERSIONS OF WINDOWS - IT WOULD MAKE MORE SENSE TO ADMIT AN ISSUE THAN IRRATE USERS!!!!!

I used C# and Vista Ultimate in vs2008 pro test assembly works

I use assembly in XP it does not!!
you can always learn -- just listen!!
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Re: Does V4 work with Windows Vista and / or XP

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

V4 works under W2K and higher OS.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
kidzopa
User

Post by kidzopa »

then explain why the code below works in vista and does not in xp

I did likely have a beta version of v4 on xp box

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Data;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Text;
using System.Windows.Forms;

namespace WindowsFormsApplication1
{
public partial class Form1 : Form
{
public Form1()
{
InitializeComponent();
}

private void Form1_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
PXCComLib.CPXCControlEx prnFactory = new PXCComLib.CPXCControlEx();
PXCComLib.CPXCPrinter prn; // = new PXCComLib.CPXCPrinter();
prn = (PXCComLib.CPXCPrinter)prnFactory.get_Printer("", "Simple PDF-XChange", "<REG CODE>", "<DEV CODE>");
prn.OnStartDoc += new PXCComLib._IPXCPrinterEvents_OnStartDocEventHandler(prn_OnStartDoc);
prn.OnFileSaved += new PXCComLib._IPXCPrinterEvents_OnFileSavedEventHandler(prn_OnFileSaved);
prn.OnDocSpooled += new PXCComLib._IPXCPrinterEvents_OnDocSpooledEventHandler(prn_OnDocSpooled);
prn.OnError += new PXCComLib._IPXCPrinterEvents_OnErrorEventHandler(prn_OnError);

}

void prn_OnError(int JobID, int dwErrorCode)
{
//throw new NotImplementedException();
MessageBox.Show("Spooled " + dwErrorCode.ToString());
}

void prn_OnDocSpooled(int JobID, string lpszDocName, string lpszAppName)
{
MessageBox.Show("Spooled " + JobID.ToString() + "---- dumb ----- " + lpszAppName);
}

void prn_OnFileSaved(int JobID, string lpszFileName)
{
MessageBox.Show("Farg " + JobID.ToString() + "---- dumb ----- " + lpszFileName);
}

private void prn_OnStartDoc(int JobID, string lpszDocName, string lpszAppName)
{
MessageBox.Show("Started " + JobID.ToString() + "---- dumb ----- " + lpszAppName);
}

}
}
Tom - Tracker

Post by Tom - Tracker »

We like to keep things civilised on the forum

So far you said "IT WOULD MAKE MORE SENSE TO ADMIT AN ISSUE THAN IRRATE USERS!!!!!" & "then explain why the code below works in vista and does not in xp"

We are glad to help anyone but draw the line at bad manners.

Thank you for your understanding :D
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Looks like you need to allow Visual Studio to recreate "Interop.PXCComLib.dll" file.

To do this just remove this file from your build folders, remove PXCComLib from References into your project.
And now add it again.

HTH

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
kidzopa
User

Post by kidzopa »

Ivan,

Bad manners??

I ask a question and ask for an explanation to a seemingly simple issue. Given what I found in the help file I can only think that the problem might be XP.

Explain to me the "bad manners". Is it the capitalized statement about being irritated? I personally do get irritated when I look for help and I encounter non specific references to incompatibilities with versions of operating systems.

I tried your fix. There still are no events.

I then tried the vista created exe on an XP test station (V4 never installed and ?? it works)

So the issue is
- beta artifacts registry entries dll's ???
- modification level of the computer (ie service packs installed)

This leads me back to my question:

From the help file this particular interface has issues with some versions of windows and I am having issues making a relatively simple test work on different versions of windows.

So if I say that "USERS ARE IRRITATED" I might actually mean just that I am irritated with a non specific statement about incompatibility in a help file and my experience. I did a reasonable test with a simple program to see that the events I need to monitor are caught. Since I am unable to get the expected results (event messages), to me that is IRRITATING as to what that type of program performance is to you I have not a clue.

If you could please assist me to find a solution I would appreciate that. We currently use v3.6 and would like to switch to this version as it is an better fit for our use. At any rate Itried your suggestion removed the reference and got rid of the interop and still no events.

Cheers,
Tom - Tracker

Post by Tom - Tracker »

kidzopa

It was me that commented on the bad manners and not Ivan, and I am sure Ivan will continue to assist you. :D
kidzopa
User

Post by kidzopa »

Tom,

Then explain my "bad manners" I certainly do not want to offend anyone.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

To be honest, I'm not so experienced with .NET languages and don't like them because there are a lot thing into 'black box' when you use them.

What I can promise:
1. V4 SDK AX works well under W2k/XP/Vista and Server 2003/2008 when you use them from C++.
2. Our developer who works with C#/VB.NET will helps you to find solution for your problem (I'm 99.9% sure it is trouble of different versions of .NET framework)

kidzopa
User

Post by kidzopa »

Ivan,

I can not see the .net version problem as the assemblies are .net 2.0 and to the best of my recollection nothing has changed in some time.

As for the functionality issue I am not questioning it I am attempting to understand whatthe issue is I most assuredly do not wish to send a new driver out and find it has compatibility problems

Cheers,
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Please check attached example.
Are there the same problems or not ?
Attachments
PDFdriverAPIExample.zip
(22.85 KiB) Downloaded 222 times

kidzopa
User

Post by kidzopa »

Sorry for the late response

Seems I made my own problem of sorts by declaring the printer object in the form_load event method scope

Odd thing is Vista still acknowledged the events correctly

Should consider updating the help file also to avoid the working with certain versions of windows

Thank you for the quick response
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

Version 4 works with Widnows 2000 and later (both 32/64 bit).

Version 3 works with Windows 95 through to Vista - but there maybe issues with 64 bit Windows if your app is 32 bit and you are installing in Windows 64 bit enviroments (so you should use Version of PDF-XChange)

A Version 4 license allows you to use PDF-XChange Versions 3 and 4 - naturally a version 3 license is for V3 only !

If your experience is any different to that stated above - please advise and we will investigate further.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
kidzopa
User

Post by kidzopa »

The statement was more directed at Vista acknowledging events when the printer is defined in the form_load event while XP does not.

From what I understand the XP behaviour is more correct

As for functioning I have upgraded to V4 and have used it both ways 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Vista with no issues apparent.

I would have appreciated some sample code that details the setup of the various printer driver parameters BUT oh well!!

GREAT JOB and overall I like the version 4 solution to events much much better.

Cheers,
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com