Printing EPUB files to printer driver by code HELP

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

AndyC
User

Printing EPUB files to printer driver by code HELP

Post by AndyC »

We use the PDF X-Change SDK, specifically using the driver API method to print files silently to PDF output.

We are tasked with the need to print EPUB files to PDF via the PDF X-Change printer driver and we seem to be unable to do so. We installed the Adobe Digital Edition EPUB reader to open EPUB files, but unfortunately we are unable to print to the PDF X-Change driver in code. We were wondering if you could assist with recommendations on how to do this using the SDK.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Printing EPUB files to printer driver by code HELP

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Andy,

Before getting to far into this - can you advise you can do so directly from the EPUB reader user interface to the driver (though this will work in eval mode only and put watermarks on output) just to establish there is no issue without trying to do so in code as an initial proving step ...

Thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
AndyC
User

Post by AndyC »

Hi John,

Thank you for the speedy response.

I have tried printing the EPUB file from the reader to the printer driver, but it seems to create blank pages in an infinite loop. I can view the EPUB file correctly in the reader. Does not mean that the EPUB file is not compatible with the reader?

The customer is creating their own EPUB files, but not sure how or with what. I have attached a sample copy of their file.

Thanks John for your help and I look forward to a solution to this.

Andy
Attachments
Graco-EPUB.zip
(3.95 MiB) Downloaded 181 times
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Andy - I have asked one of our Driver SDK specailists to take a look and we will revert as soon as possible, though please note this may not be until later as he is based in our Vancouver Island office ...

Thanks for your patience.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
AndyC
User

Post by AndyC »

Thank you very much John. I look forward to his recommendation.

Andy
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

Hello Andy,

The printing fails because the sample file contains an embedded PostScript data and Adobe Digital Edition EPUB reader tries to pass this data directly to the printer.
PDF-XChange does not support embedded PostScript in print job.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Its also worth noting Andy that many physical and Virtual printers (particularly the latter) will have issues with these files unless specific 'PS' injection is provided by the manufacturer and in fact - going further, it would appear that Adobe have with the epub reader tried to block printing epub docs to virtual printers, for example it also blocks printing to the MS Doc Converter printer. This is probably in an effort to reduce/block ebook piracy.

Best regards
Tracker Support
AndyC
User

Post by AndyC »

Hi Roman and John,

Thank you very much for taking the time to investigate the issue.

The customer is using an unknown EPUB creator for this sample file that causes this issue. Is there an EPUB software that you could recommend that could allow the customer to create a good file format that we can print through the PDF X-Change without any issue? Basically, we are looking at a way to be able to create EPUB files that can be printed through the PDF X-Change to convert them to PDF.

Thanks again for all your help.

Andy
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

I would be only too pleased to help if we did Andy - but I regret our knowledge of such creators at this time is very limited and I would be no better placed than you or your client I am afraid ...

Best regards
Tracker Support
AndyC
User

Post by AndyC »

Thanks anyway John. You and Roman have been a great help. I will look around and see if there any good EPUB software out there and maybe report back here in case other users are after the same objective.

Thanks again.

P.S.: Vancouver Island is beautiful... you guys live in paradise...

Andy
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Its not so bad Andy - but I have just moved to the UK - somethings you miss and some you don't, Good luck in your search...

Best regards
Tracker Support