itdownload.dll

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

jeffp
User

itdownload.dll

Post by jeffp »

I'm distributing your Lite driver with my install. One of the banks that use our software have noticed that a itdownload.dll is placed in a temp file during the installation. They won't allow this because they say it is a potential security risk. I've tracked this down to your Lite installer.

Patrick informed me that this is used in your normal lite installer to download the PDF Editor during the install if the user chooses to do so.

In my case, this is not possible because I just install the Lite driver.

Is there a way to tell your Lite install NOT to drop the itdownload.dll into the temp file during the install process?

Thanks.

--Jeff
jeffp
User

Re: itdownload.dll

Post by jeffp »

Roman,

It's sounds like from Patrick that this issue may not be able to be resolved until the next "official" release of the Lite driver coming up in February. If that is the case, would it be possible to get an "unofficial/interim" build of the Lite driver with this fix to me ASAP. The bank we are selling to wants to implement our product right away. Alternatively, I can prepare a build of our product for them that uses the old version 4 Lite driver, which did not have this issue.

Please let me know what would be possible here.

Thanks.

--Jeff
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jeff,
I just consulted the guy who is responsible for the driver installer. Awaiting for his resolution.
I think an interim fixup build is quite possible.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

That would be great. Send me a link when it is ready and I'll test it for you as well.

--Jeff
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,
Here is the custom build. It excludes "Download Editor" option so that itdownload.dll is not used.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Thanks so much.

What about going forward? When you come out with the next official release of the Lite driver, will the itdownload.dll still be excluded from the temp file as long as I don't use the /PDFEditor switch.

Thanks again.

--Jeff
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Jeff, I do not know the details for now, but the next release is supposed to contain this fix in a more generic way - no special build will be required for your case.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

I just ran your special build and I'm getting the following error.

---------------------------
Error
Runtime Error (at 228:389):

Could not call proc.
OK

Please advise.

Thanks.

--Jeff
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Sorry, Jeff - I did not test it with /VERYSILENT option which you probably use. I confirm the error.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Yes, I do use the /VERYSILENT option.

No worries, just let me know when you have a new build for me.

Thanks again.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Jeff, please download it again here (the same link).
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Roman,

This new install works fine and the itdownload.dll is not being placed in the temp file anymore. So it looks like this is good.

However, I was able to get some log info for you on another post I made last week about getting freezes in the installer of the Lite driver. See the attached zip file for these logs.

It appears that the freeze is happening you try to create the Icons for the Lite driver and write out some .lnk files to the Start Menu folder.

I don't really need or want these .lnk files there since this is a custom install. Is there a switch where I can turn these off.

Anyway, my log files should help you here. We get this freeze report enough from our users to make it a concern for us.

Let me know what you find. If you want to send me another interim build to test out once you resolve this, I'd be happy to test it out.

--Jeff
Attachments
InstallLogs.zip
(7.71 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Just one follow up to my last post.

On several occasions in the past where I get the freeze during the Lite driver install, all the icons on my desktop would disappear during the freeze. I could never figure out what this was, but now it makes a bit more sense since the logs I sent you indicate that at that moment you were trying to write out or do something with .lnk files in the start menu folder area.

I hope this helps. Having your desktop icons disappear during an install is quite alarming.

--Jeff
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

I just passed this along to our install team.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,
I have got a reply from the guy who makes the driver installer:
Use the installer with /NOICONS option.
It instructs Setup to initially check the Don't create a Start Menu folder check box on the Select Start Menu Folder wizard page.

Although, based on the logs, the installation stopped way before creating Start Menu shortcuts. And it is unclear what caused the freeze. However I have fixed a bug that could relate to this issue.
So please download the latest version of the custom build here (the same link). Please let us know if you get that freeze again with the latest build. Also in case of reproducible freeze please try to get the dumps I asked you in another topic.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Thanks. I'll give the /NOICONS switch a try.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks jeffp,

Looking forward to your feedback once you've given it a go!

Cheers,
Stefan