after email document not being saved in target folder

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

phil.mccrae
User

after email document not being saved in target folder

Post by phil.mccrae »

Hi

we have an application that uses the api drivers and is being successfully used in a number of customer sites
basically the application will process a report action the drivers to save and email the report.

the save options we use is 3 (email the report), with folder path and name specified
the email options are enabled and the email is delivered

the end result for most of our sites ends up with a folder of the documents saved even after they have been emailed

we have a site where after email the document no longer exists in the saved location

having re-read the documentation and looking at the options in the virtual printer we are wondering if we are using this method wrongly

what we need is to process the report, allow it to be saved in a location and at the same time emailed to the appropriate user without losing the document from the save location.

please advise if we are using this correctly and if not how should we be using the drivers to achieve the desired result

regards
Phil McCrae
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: after email document not being saved in target folder

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Phil McCrae

Option 3 for the SaveType is (JustEmail) - so the file would be created, e-mailed and then deleted.
You might need to just generate the file and save it locally and then e-mail it with other means, as this would be faster than e.g. "printing" the same job twice to store one copy of the file and e-mail another.

Regards,
Stefan
phil.mccrae
User

Post by phil.mccrae »

Hi Stefan

so if the delete permission was removed from the target folder would it still email and issue the 'I have emailed' event

regards
Phil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Phil,

I have asked my development team about this and here is what was said:
if you mean his question:
"so if the delete permission was removed from the target folder would it still email and issue the 'I have emailed' event"

the answer is Yes - event will be fired when document is sent
[10:33:09 AM | Edited 10:33:16 AM] Ivan Poberezhnyk: the problem might be not with permissions of the target folder.
It is possible that the document was not removed because it was blocked. say by email client that sends the document at that time.

so, the best solution in his case is to use Save.Type = 2
I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
phil.mccrae
User

Post by phil.mccrae »

ok thanks for the info

I now think it is the permissions that allow the document to be kept
the default permissions on the folder is such the delete permission is not ticked

in this situation the document is not deleted

for others full permissions are given and I suspect that is allowing the delete to go ahead

but as you say while the document is being sent that may hold on to the document when a delete is attempted so they not always get deleted

the action we need is the document not to be deleted.

so either save and use another method to send
or experiment with folder permissions

regards
Phil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Phil,

Yes it seems like you've identified the possible solutions yourself. We would be happy to hear which solution you chose :)

Regards,
Stefan