Converting tiff files to pdf in windows 7

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

josej90
User

Converting tiff files to pdf in windows 7

Post by josej90 »

People: I have developed a vb6 application that uses the API 4 drivers; I initally had issues with the application being used to open the tif files (Filenet IDM find from IBM); I decided to change the file type to windows Picture and Fax viewer in XP and the process works (it is kind of a pain to have to change the file type, so if you have a better solution, I would appreciate it); as said, this is working OK for windows XP; we are now getting new Windows 7 workstation and the process fails; the tif images are opened with pictureviewer as default, it looks like this is not a good program for your automation; any suggestions as of how to fix my problem.

thanks,

JO
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Converting tiff files to pdf in windows 7

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Jo,

Thanks for your post. As long as you can open and pass the image for printing - our driver should then be able to handle it, but why don't you try the PDF Tools SDK:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-tools-sdk
You can generate PDFs from your images in the background and let our SDK (the imagexchnage component) of it handle the images - so you won't need a third party product to open them, and there would be no "Printing" so the whole conversion process should also be faster.

Best,
Stefan
josej90
User

Post by josej90 »

Stefan: We requested information as how it was the best way to handle our project; we were directed to use the API and we purchased the licenses for it; can we convert our API license to SDK?

JO
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Jo,

The driver can handle virtually any document/image/Report format as an option to convert to PDF provided a host application can be controlled programmatically to open, print and output the File to our driver - the PDF-Tools library is more limited in that it can convert image files, text and place content you generate (via co-ordinates onto the page, e.g. images, text, RTF files, drawn content etc) - but not other 3rd aprty formats (e.g. .dc, .xls, CAD etc) - so it depends on your needs as to what is best to use.

If it is just Raster or some vector based image formats (e.g. WMF, EMF etc) then usually the PDF-Tools library is best.

Most developers find that a mix of both can be required as their needs can vary or broaden over time.

Please write to us directly by email - with your license info and a brief overview of what you need to do and we will see what can be done - but you may want to look at the PDF-XChange PRO SDK - which includes everything - The Library DLL's, Driver and Viewer SDK's as well as OCR SDK.

Please email support@pdf-xchange.com with a link back to this forum post for reference.
Thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
josej90
User

Post by josej90 »

Dear people, the same issue came back hunting us; we had a workaround by setting up the file tif association to windows fax and viewer; this software is not supported under windows 7 but we were able to make it work; our customer started saving color tiff images and sadly, windows fax and viewer doesn't support this format; we tried different programs to open the tif files to no avail; we can use IDM find (IBM software) but when we have a batch, the user has to press enter for every document exported (printed); we need to get IDM find working (our best solution); please check the code above, I may be missing a setting or something that will allow IDM find not to ask the user to press Enter.

Thanks,

Jo
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

If you are using 3rd party to print TIFF files via PDF-XChange driver, and that application does not handle your TIFF files correctly, I'm afraid we barely can help here.
What I may recommend, is to use our PDF Tools SDK (https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-tools-sdk) where you can create PDF from image files directly without using printer.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Also you may try use our Viewer ActiveX Control SDK to create PDF from TIFF(or vice-versa).
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product ... ctivex-sdk

HTH
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.