Hiding Driver from Available List

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

71SoCal
User

Hiding Driver from Available List

Post by 71SoCal »

When we create a new PDF driver in our code, it puts an entry for it in the Windows Printers and Faxes list. If a user then comes along and tries to print to that driver, external to our application, they get a clean print out (no watermarks).

Is there a way to suppress that driver from showing in the list of available drivers, or some other way to ensure that the driver is only available to our application?

Thanks for any info...
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Re: Hiding Driver from Available List

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

No, sorry - we don't know of any such way.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
71SoCal
User

Post by 71SoCal »

Am I understanding this correctly when I say that during the time that a user has a PDF driver created (via the driver being embedded in a client application), that driver appears in the Windows Printers and Faxes list, and is available to a user to generate PDFs without watermarks, independent of the application that created it?

If I'm correct in my understanding of this, does Tracker consider this a known and presumably undesirable side-effect?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Yes we are and yes we do ...

But the danger is for a very limited time frame - we are looking at some options in a future build to block this ability, so anyone that comes to rely upon it - will I am confident find this route obstructed, thankfully most corporate users would view its sproradic availablity unreliable enough to depend upon and we have todate not found it a particular issue - apart from a couple of unscrupulous developers who have exploited this and we have had to draw their attention politely to the fact that its use is not allowed under the License T&C's for general PDF creation.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com