Excel Bookmarks  SOLVED

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's OFFice2PDF and MS Office Addin Applications - supplied with PDF-XChange.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ehliysehr
User

Excel Bookmarks

Post by ehliysehr »

Hi,

I am sorry if this has ben asked many times,

recently our Office switch from Adobe to PDFxchange.

I wanted to convert an excel file including its sheets as a bookmark.

with Adobe, we simply just convert from excel plugin by selecting all worksheet and the bookmarks will be automatically generated.

in PDFx this option is not working, I have tried different methods, but the end result is unreliable.

I was lurking and searching on this forum for days now for any solution. but I can't find any.

Looking forward to your answers and TIA.

ehliysehr
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Excel Bookmarks

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

For as far as I known, at this moment, there is no such feature available in the PDF-XChange add-in for Excel.
Currently, you can not automatically create a pdf-bookmark for each sheet in a workbook.

As there is such a feature available in Adobe Acrobat PDFMaker, there is maybe a chance that your request will be taken into consideration by Tracker Software Development.

The "Bookmarks" feature in the PDF-XChange add-in is different from that in Adobe PDFMaker.
With it, you can create pdf-bookmarks based on the particular properties of the text.
In case there should be a title with specific text properties (font, style, size, ...) at the start (top) of each sheet, you could use this as an alternative for the automatic creation of pdf-bookmarks.

Regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Willy Van Nuffel,

Many thanks for the help and suggestions!

Kind regards,
Stefan
ehliysehr
User

Post by ehliysehr »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,
I am just wondering so if I put a header on top of the page of each sheet, then Run "Generate bookmarks from text" It would it create bookmarks from it right? I guess this will be my solution for now.

also if you don't mind can you explain how this things works or point me to a tutorial?
In case there should be a title with specific text properties (font, style, size, ...) at the start (top) of each sheet, you could use this as an alternative for the automatic creation of pdf-bookmarks.

Thanks,
ehliysehr

Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:58 pm Hello,

For as far as I known, at this moment, there is no such feature available in the PDF-XChange add-in for Excel.
Currently, you can not automatically create a pdf-bookmark for each sheet in a workbook.

As there is such a feature available in Adobe Acrobat PDFMaker, there is maybe a chance that your request will be taken into consideration by Tracker Software Development.

The "Bookmarks" feature in the PDF-XChange add-in is different from that in Adobe PDFMaker.
With it, you can create pdf-bookmarks based on the particular properties of the text.

Regards.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Excel Bookmarks  SOLVED

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Please find an example in the attached files (original XLSX and resulting PDF enclosed in a ZIP-file + settings).

How to:

In your Excel workbook, put a title on top of each sheet, using a text format that is (slightly) different from the rest.
In my example I am using Arial font, 14 pt and Bold.

In the PDF-XChange tab in Excel, click Edit Settings and go to Bookmarks (see print screen).
Mark the checkbox "Enable automatic bookmark detection"
Click "Add"
Click on "Level 1"
Mark the checkboxes for font, style and size, and select the text properties that you have used for your titles
Click OK

In the PDF-XChange tab in Excel, click Convert to PDF to start the creation of the PDF.
Attachments
PDF-XChange Excel add-in - Bookmarks settings.png
Excel to PDF with one bookmark per sheet.zip
(14 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
ehliysehr
User

Post by ehliysehr »

Thanks a lot for the reply,
this temporarily will solve the dilemma of having to create bookmarks one by one.
But I do hope the dev team would consider adding that feature.

Thanks,
ehliysehr
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, ehliysehr

This is a request we have had in place for a while now, but I have added your voice to the ticket now so that some omre attention can be diverted to it. Though I am unable to promise implementation or a timeline at this moment. The ticket number is as follows:

RT#3570: FR: Ability to generate Bookmarks for each sheet in MS Excel

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com