Docs2PDF Standard v6.0.318.1 Good Bad and Ugly

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's OFFice2PDF and MS Office Addin Applications - supplied with PDF-XChange.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

desertdad
User

Docs2PDF Standard v6.0.318.1 Good Bad and Ugly

Post by desertdad »

Platform: Win8.1[64], Office 2010[32], up to date, Standard V6 install two days ago.
:) Good: All Office apps have the Standard V6 add-in showing and they all are active, including Outlook [no Publisher]. All try to put the created PDF in a folder. Outlook tries the folder named in Default Profile and fails the save. The other Office apps save the created PDF in Documents\Downloads, not the folder set up in Default Profile. Close, probably a small tweak somewhere.
:roll: Bad: Outlook tries to put the DoctoPDF PDF in a custom folder in Documents, set up in the Default Profile. However, the save of the PDF file fails with a system failure, HtmlToPDF.dll module is not in my system. I'll try to attach a screen clip.
:) Ugly: None so far, and I don't really expect any based on the good work done to date.
Tried to attach the JPG clip of the error, forum didn't like attaching a JPG. Let me know in a reply and I'll try something else. I'll try sending the clip directly to support.

*Admin Edit: Added Image*

Title bar on the error window: "PXCOutlookAddinH.exe-System Error" and can't find 'HtmlToPDF.dll".
If you know where it is [maybe in wrong place?] and want me to try moving it/copying it or sending me a replacement, let me know. This is a great product and I'll help if I can.
Dick
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Docs2PDF Standard v6.0.318.1 Good Bad and Ugly

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello desertdad,

Thank you for the post. Could you please go to C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange 6 and see if HtmlToPDF_x64.dll and HtmlToPDF.dll are located there?

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
desertdad
User

Post by desertdad »

Patrick, "see if HtmlToPDF_x64.dll and HtmlToPDF.dll are located there?" HtmlToPDF_x64.dll is there, HtmlToPDF.dll is not. Ref the attachment.
Dick
Attachments
Prog Files Capture Oct 3 2016.7z
(83.85 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello desertdad,

Thank you for confirming this. Please uninstall, then download and install Standard using the following installer, ensuring that you select "Complete install" and see if that helps.

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXStd6.zip

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
desertdad
User

Post by desertdad »

Some good, some not so good.
PDF-XChange Standard V6 [support full install] notes
Oct 4 2016

Uninstalled the existing Standard app. [Revo Uninstaller Pro]
Installed the replacement Standard app, complete install.
No chance to select which desktop icons to create.

Result:
Standard Printer is created.
Desktop icons missing:
PDF-XChange Editor
Tracker Updater
PDF-XChange Standard V6 pdfSaver

PDF-Xchange Office2PDF is only desktop icon.

I created a new printer preferences profile "MyDefault Preferences" by cloning the Default Preferences.
Only change was to create custom PDF printer target.

Result:
Convert to PDF Office addin in a Word DOCX file does not use the custom PDF target folder.
Uses Documents instead.
File Print Standard does not use the custom PDF target folder.
Uses documents instead.

Outlook/ConverttoPDF [works as advertised]
Finds custom PDF target folder
Creates Outlook mail item PDF and put it in the custom folder.
displays the PDF file of the Outlook mail item.
Attachments
New Program Files list Capture.7z
(68.41 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
MyDefault Settings Capture.7z
(79.58 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
File-Print-Standard does not print to custom PDF target folder Capture.7z
(54.56 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
Convert to PDF does not use the custom Save document folder Capture.7z
(68.32 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
desertdad
User

Post by desertdad »

Preferences/observation: Trying to get through the Standard uninstall with Revo Uninstaller Pro was not fun. Even Revo warned me that Tracker has all their registry and folders together and I should be extremely careful going through the uninstall. That process is just begging for mistakes on the customers part. It would be good to take a look at where things get put for individual Tracker products during an install and take that into consideration when building the uninstall packages. :idea:
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi desertdad,

Thanks for the post!
No chance to select which desktop icons to create.

Result:
Standard Printer is created.
Desktop icons missing:
PDF-XChange Editor
Tracker Updater
PDF-XChange Standard V6 pdfSaver

PDF-Xchange Office2PDF is only desktop icon.
That's correct. We don't offer the option to specify which icons should be placed on the desktop. Also, the PDF-XChange Standard installer does not include the Editor and we do not create desktop icons for either the pdfSaver or the Tracker Updater.
Preferences/observation: Trying to get through the Standard uninstall with Revo Uninstaller Pro was not fun. Even Revo warned me that Tracker has all their registry and folders together and I should be extremely careful going through the uninstall. That process is just begging for mistakes on the customers part. It would be good to take a look at where things get put for individual Tracker products during an install and take that into consideration when building the uninstall packages. :idea:
I'm not sure that I follow here. By necessity, we make registry entries in some places that would appear obscure to the average user, but are necessary when installing a printer or, in the case of the Editor, setting browser and file associations. All of the entires that are not explicitly required by Windows can be found under HKCU/HKLM\Software\Tracker Software.
Result:
Convert to PDF Office addin in a Word DOCX file does not use the custom PDF target folder.
Uses Documents instead.
File Print Standard does not use the custom PDF target folder.
Uses documents instead.
I'm not seeing the same thing, so please make sure that the changes were definitely saved to the profile.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com