Strange artifacts when converting PPTX with V5 #258

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's OFFice2PDF and MS Office Addin Applications - supplied with PDF-XChange.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Timmeh
User

Strange artifacts when converting PPTX with V5 #258

Post by Timmeh »

Hi All,

I'm having a strange issue with V5.0 build 258 converting a PPTX slide via the Add-in Toolbar in PowerPoint 2010 SP1.

I have a single slide with a black background and two shapes with gradient fills, however when I try to convert the slide to PDF, the resulting PDF has strange colouring and bands through the shapes. The only way I managed to make this work is to up the DPI to 600DPI when converting. However, as this slide will eventually be used in a PDF for on-screen use, I only want to use 96DPI and this is when the problem with the strange colouring arises. I've fiddled with various other parameters and the only one that makes a difference is the DPI.

I swear that V4.0 didn't have this problem, but I can't be sure without a reinstall. I also tried printing directly to the 5.0 printer (so as to not use the addin) but the problem continued. I also tried using PowerPoint's own conversion to PDF, which worked successfully, also printing to XPS is fine. I have attached the PPTX and also the resultant PDF.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong will be welcome! :D
Attachments
presentation1.zip
(29.23 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Strange artifacts when converting PPTX with V5 #258

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Timmeh,

Please use the 600 DPI option - this will still produce a vector based PDF file - so the file size will still be small, and it will not be significantly harder (if at all) to render this copy of the PDF than the 96/150/300 DPI ones.

The issues with lower DPI have to do with the way PowerPoint "splits" gradients when sending them to us for printing, and the way the separate pieces have to overlap. The higher DPI gives enough precision so that the separate fragments could be positioned correctly and appear as one smooth gradient on screen.

Best,
Stefan
Timmeh
User

Post by Timmeh »

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your ultra-quick reply!

Ah I see, I didn't realise that about PowerPoint (you learn a new thing every day!). I will keep it set to 600DPI in that case - the gradients look fine at that setting. 8)

Thanks again,
Tim
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

You are welcome Tim!

Cheers,
Stefan