Bookmarks setting not available

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's OFFice2PDF and MS Office Addin Applications - supplied with PDF-XChange.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Willy Van Nuffel
User

Bookmarks setting not available

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Via the PDF-XChange printer driver there is a very interesting feature in the Settings list: namely "Bookmarks".
Unfortunately this feature is not available in your MS Office Addin (for MS Excel 2007).

We do use the MS Office Add-in to retain the hyper-'Links' that are present in the Excel-sheets, and it would be great if we could combine this with the possibility to create 'Bookmarks' based on textformatting (in Excel).

Would you consider to incorporate this 'Bookmarks'-feature in your MS Office Addin (for MS Excel 2007) ?
We would be very pleased with it (and I suppose many other PDF-XChange users as well).

N.B.: an extra tab "Bookmarks" is available in your MS Office Addin (for MS Word 2007), but that one is based on the use of "styles" in Word documents (Heading 1, Heading 2, ...). This 'styles'-feature does not exist in Excel.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Bookmarks setting not available

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Willy Van Nuffel,

I see what you are trying to do here. As you point out we do not have any way to do this in the Excel Addin because the text style etc is not defined in Excel the way Word can with it's 'Documewnt Map'.

This is not to say that such a thing cannot be done, however it may take significant investigation here to determine if it is even practical to add the kind of functionality you describe. I would be interested in furthering this discussion on the understanding that this is at present only a conversation about the practicality of adding said feature and does not constitute any promise or formal committment to deliver the feature.

Having said that we would need to determine by what criteria the text styles should create Bookmarks (if my dev team say this is even possible). Do you have a sample .xls with details on how you would envisage our use of text styles for automatically creating bookmarks?

When sending samples please be sure to wrap your files in a zip (or similar) archive or else the forum software will strip it from your post.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Thanks for your reply.

What I tried to explain is that via File (or via the Office-button) > Print > PDF-XChange 4.0 > Properties > Settings > Bookmarks, you have the possibility to create PDF-bookmarks based on several "Detection Options" (please have a look at that). Unfortunately when you use that way of printing, you do loose your hyperlinks (unless they are of the kind https://www.pdf-xchange.com). The other ones are not retained in the resulting PDF.

To retain the hyperlinks you have to use the MS Office Add-in, but this one does not offer the possibility of creating PDF-bookmarks.

So, would it be possible to have the combination of these two features (that already exist in PDF-XChange 4.0) ?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Willy Van Nuffel,

Actually there are some quite extensive Bookmark options available in the options of the PDF XChange add-in in MS Office Word. And as Paul says above - this is not available in Excel due to some difficulties and the difference in format used by Word and Excel - a sample would be most helpful.

Best,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Just a quick update Willy Van Nuffel,

One of our developers just told me that he will try to include the "bookmarks" options you can see in the "File -> Print" PDF XChange printer - to the Excel add in in the next build.

So it will not have the functionality of the Word Bookmarks options - but still will be better than it is now :)

Best,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Stefan, it is just fine to hear that.

If the 'Bookmarks' item would be present in de Settings-tab of the MS Office Add-in for Excel, just like it is now in the Settings-tab of the "PDF-Xchange 4.0" printer, it would be just perfect.

Maybe it can be interesting for the Word and Powerpoint add-ins as well - I suppose it is the same dll for the several add-ins.

Probably, I did put you on the wrong foot, just by mentioning the 'Bookmarks' tab in the MS Office Add-in for Word.
That is indeed not quite the same thing.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Willy Van Nuffel,

I guess at this point we'll have to see what is delivered. Thanks for your patience. :-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Today, we had a download and test of the PDF-XChange 4.0 newest build 199.

The Bookmarks setting is now present in the MS Office add-in (for Excel) and works as expected.
So, from now on we can combine the creation of bookmarks and hyperlinks in one PDF.

Many thanks for having this implemented so fast !
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Pleasure we could do that Willy Van Nuffel! :)

Cheers,
Stefan