Optimize Scanned PDF

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools Version 4

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Chris - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan

brianhess
User

Optimize Scanned PDF

Post by brianhess » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:02 pm

There was a post on this earlier but my situation is somewhat different. I have documents that come from all over via different vendors that are basically just text documents. Depending on what tool they are using I will sometimes get very large documents that can equal 200k-1MB per page. When I use the Adobe "Optimize Scanned PDF" it usually cuts them down 90%. When I use the PDF-Xchange optimize it often does not shrink them at all.

Any suggestions on how I can reproduce the "Optimize Scanned PDF" in Adobe using PDF-Xchange Tools. I can provide samples if needed.

->brian

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Optimize Scanned PDF

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:12 pm

The issue is the images themselves in the current release of PDF-Tools are not optimized - other content such as fonts, bookmarks etc is.

The PDF-XChange Printer will optimize if you print - but other content can be lost (such as bookmarks etc) so one possible way is to use the PDF-XChange Print driver to optimize - though there can be drawbackls as indicated above.

Version 5 of PDF-Tools will include image optimization when relased later this year.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

pctuki_fg
User

Post by pctuki_fg » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:45 am

John - Tracker Supp wrote:The issue is the images themselves in the current release of PDF-Tools are not optimized - other content such as fonts, bookmarks etc is.

The PDF-XChange Printer will optimize if you print - but other content can be lost (such as bookmarks etc) so one possible way is to use the PDF-XChange Print driver to optimize - though there can be drawbackls as indicated above.

Version 5 of PDF-Tools will include image optimization when relased later this year.
I have the same problem that the pdf's don't optimize properly with PDFXChange, but with Adobe Professional they do. I guess we have to wait for the v5 then.

What about OCR? It's really good feature in Adobe Professional to get text out of a pdf, is this feature coming to the v5 too?

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:21 am

There will be a plugin for our Viewer in the 2011 release for OCR as an option and ultimately this will be included in PDF-Tools possibly too - but not until next year.

As far as the effectiveness of OCR in Adobe's products - I am sure its very capable - but cannot specifically comment.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com