[Feature Request] Sorting and Searching the Recent list

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools Version 4

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

anthony thomson
User

[Feature Request] Sorting and Searching the Recent list

Post by anthony thomson » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:54 pm

Hello,

In XChange Editor, the Recent/History Lists could use some additional functionality. Specifically, the Pinned Recents need a way to be sorted, both manually (drag and drop) and automatically (alphabetically, or by location). Also, it would be very helpful if the Recents could be searched for based on Title or any of the other information that is cached by Editor (path, subject, author, keywords, etc). When you use a lot of PDF documents, Pinned Recents is nice, but the additional functionality would go a long way. Especially being unable to sort the Pinned Recents. Saved Sessions would be really nice too, and I've already added my voice for support of that Feature Request.

Of course it would help if Microsoft hadn't limited Jump Lists to only 11 items in Windows 10, in their "infinite" wisdom....anyone been able to figure out a way around that yet? I've seen numerous webpages on the topic, with no working solutions yet. I've provided my feedback to MS...but who knows if that will actually go anywhere useful.

Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: [Feature Request] Sorting and Searching the Recent list

Post by Will - Tracker Supp » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:35 pm

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the post! I'll address each point in turn:
In XChange Editor, the Recent/History Lists could use some additional functionality. Specifically, the Pinned Recents need a way to be sorted, both manually (drag and drop) and automatically (alphabetically, or by location). Also, it would be very helpful if the Recents could be searched for based on Title or any of the other information that is cached by Editor (path, subject, author, keywords, etc). When you use a lot of PDF documents, Pinned Recents is nice, but the additional functionality would go a long way. Especially being unable to sort the Pinned Recents
I believe that we do plan to implement the ability to search the recents list, but I can't confirm at this time. If not, I'll add a feature request for evaluation. I also personally quite like the idea of being able to sort the recents list, so I'll pass that along for consideration as well :)
Saved Sessions would be really nice too, and I've already added my voice for support of that Feature Request.
I believe that we plan to add something like this to the Editor, but again, I can't currently confirm. I'll pass this along as well.
Of course it would help if Microsoft hadn't limited Jump Lists to only 11 items in Windows 10, in their "infinite" wisdom
I've not heard of this and I'm not sure I understand the term "Jump Lists" - are these lists like our Recents List? If so, that's a very odd choice....
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com

anthony thomson
User

Post by anthony thomson » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:53 pm

Jump Lists in Windows are the lists you can get in either the context menu of an application in the Task Bar at the bottom of the screen, or in the Start Menu there is a menu beside each application for the same list. It supports frequently used documents for that application, and Pinned lists. They've been supported since at least Windows 7, where they allowed for much longer lists than Windows 10 now allows. :cry:

Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:34 pm

Hi Anthony,

That's unusual, but I suspect that it's likely not a hard-coded setting, but rather a registry entry that can be altered. I couldn't really say which, as I'm not running Windows 10 and am not familiar with the limit, but it may be possible to up that limit if you can find the entry.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com