Creating thumbnails of 100s of PDFs

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools Version 4

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Chris - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Puffolino
User

Creating thumbnails of 100s of PDFs

Post by Puffolino » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:42 pm

Hm,

I am trying to sort my collection of PDFs and would like to create thumbnails of the first page of all of them. I own PDF-Tools, PDF-Editor and PDF-Printer (as I would call them :) ), but did not find an easy approach to do so...

I thought, it would be possible to merge all first pages of the different PDFs automatically to a new single PDF, then I could show the thumbnails of this PDF by using the PDF...Viewer (I still use this tool most of the time), make some screenshots and create image files then.

Is there any other possibility? Or should I use ghostscript for such things :wink:

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Creating thumbnails of 100s of PDFs

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:36 pm

Hello Puffolino,

Do you need the thumbnails as images or would actually seeing thumbnails of them all suffice?
If the second option - just make sure the Editor and the shell extension that comes with it are installed, and then put all the files in a folder. Switch to thumbnails view - and you will see the first page of all the files in that folder.

Regards,
Stefan

Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:49 pm

Hi Stefan,
thank you for your reply, forgot the shell extension - because I try to use portable installations where possible.
One of my ideas is to create images of all my pdf files and write a small program which uses the thumbnails to show them in a menu (like the cd covers on ipods in earlier days).

Cheers,
Puffolino

Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:29 am

Hi Puffolino,

Thanks for the post. If you are using the portable Editor, the shell extensions would not be installed.

However, you may be able to install the shell extensions only. I have attached them.

Please create the following directory:
C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\

Once you have done that, please extract the Shell Ext zip folder to the directory above.

Once you have done that, you will need to register the DLL.
You can do so by running cmd.exe as administrator, then navigating to
C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\

Now please type in regsrv32 XCShInfo.dll

Like this:

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\system32>cd C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions

C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions>regsvr32 XCShInfo.dll
Once you have done that, please repeat the process with the XCShInfo.dll file in C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\Win32

You should then have the thumbnails and preview.

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America

Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:32 am

Hi Puffolino,

The forum will not let me post the shell extensions, please download them through the Editor Zip installer: http://www.tracker-software.com/PDFXVE5.zip

You may choose to install only the shell extensions when running the installer.

I hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America

jonathan williams
User

Post by jonathan williams » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:11 am

I was interested in doing this to create an index of my pdfs.
I know I can view the thumbnails in windows, but a pdf would be quicker.
Is it possible to merge only the first page of a group of pdfs to a new pdf easily?

I tried to do this in merge, but there didn't appear to be a way to batch select only the 1st page.

Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:20 am

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the post - this can be done either within the PDF-Tools Split/Merge feature, by specifying a page range for each document, then selecting only the first page:

Or by using the Combine Files into a Single PDF of the Editor and specifying the same Page Range option:

HTH!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com