Combine two PDF pages into one - HOW?

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools Version 4

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

don pfortmiller
User

Combine two PDF pages into one - HOW?

Post by don pfortmiller » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:19 am

Hi all.
I'm trying to accomplish something that is not working and need some help.
I open PDF-Tool 4.0 and select "Overlay PDF". I step through the process and select the first (one page) PDF file and then select a second (one page) PDF overlay file, and then Process them.
  • 1. I then open the resultant file in PDF-XChange Editor, but do not see both PDF pages in the new single page PDF file, only one of the file pages is visible.
    2. If I select "VIEW > Other Panes > Layers", there are no layers shown in the view pane.
    3. But if I select "VIEW > Other Panes > Content" and expand the content listing, and then click on the individual content listings, I will see a rectangular box where the "non-visible" PDF page is, so I know it is part of the new document.
How can I get both pages (both PDF documents) to be visible when I view them in the Editor?
I've tried this multiple times, using different settings in PDF-Tools, but I get the same result each time.

Why do I want to do this?
I use my scanner to scan the front side of a "bank check" at the top of a one page file which I convert to PDF.
Then I scan the back side of the check at the bottom of another one page file.
I'd like to be able to combine both pages into a single page so I have the front and back sides of the check on a single page PDF file.
Or, maybe there is a way, using the XChange Editor, to combine two PDF pages into one. :?:

Any suggestions?
Thanks. :)

Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Combine two PDF pages into one - HOW?

Post by Willy Van Nuffel » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:32 am

If I understand your question correctly, you do not have to use 'overlay' (a superposition of two pages in two layers), but 'print' two pages onto one sheet of paper.

Here is, how to do this.
(I hope you have the "PDF-XChange Printer 2012")

We suppose that you scanned the front and the back side of your check into two separate pages.
(in A5-formaat = 1/2 of an A4 sheet AND into a PDF-document)

Open this PDF-document with PDF-XChange Editor or Viewer.

Click File > Print, and select the "PDF-XChange Printer 2012".

Click Properties, to go to the Paper settings of "PDF-XChange Printer 2012".
Here, you set:
- the Page Size to Standard = A5,
- Orientation = Landscape,
- the Layout, Layout type = Multiple pages per sheet,
- Sheet size = A4,
- Pages per sheet = 2,
- Page order = left to right.

Regards.

N.B.: You can see the Print screen of the print-dialogbox in attachment.
Attachments
Print two A5 pages onto one A4 sheet.zip
(167.57 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

don pfortmiller
User

Post by don pfortmiller » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:00 am

Thanks for your quick reply Willy.
No, I don't have PDF-XChange Printer 2012. How can I get it (hopefully it's not going to cost me).
In the image that you provided (thanks for taking the time to include it), near the top, it says "Paper Settings".
  • Does this printer program have an option to print the output to a PDF file, rather than to paper on a regular printer.
    If not, then there's no reason for me to use this printer program. My objective is to have the end result be a single page PDF file.
Going with your idea of printing 2 pages on one sheet, here's what I was able to do.
  • I opened both files in the PDF Editor and combined both pages into a single PDF file.
  • Then cropped each of the pages to a half page size.
  • Then in the PDF Editor Print dialog box, I specified "Type: Multiple Pages per Sheet" and "Pages per Sheet: Custom 1 by 2".
  • This put both pages onto a single sheet.
I happen to have a printer program that allows me to print to a PDF file, so this accomplished the job.
The downside is that I had to take time to crop the pages before printing them. It didn't take much time, but was just another step that had to be done.
I'll have to check out my scanner software and see if it will allow me to scan in 1/2 pages. I think it probably will and this will let me skip the "crop" step.

Thanks for you help Willy :D

Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:27 pm

Hello don pfortmiller

I just came back late to read your answer...

If you only have a license for PDF-XChange Tools, then you have PDF-XChange Editor included, but no PDF-XChange Printer.

With PDF-XChange Printer 2012 (Standard or Lite) you can print to PDF.

Via PDF-XChange Editor, when printing to paper, you can probably put two pages on one sheet, but - for as far as I know - you can not create a new PDF of it. Except, like you mentioned, in case you have an other PDF printer program.

As an alternative, you could also think about scanning to images (JPG, TIFF, ...) instead of scanning to PDF.
In PDF-XChange Editor, via File > New Document, you can then select "From Image Files...".
Via the "Add Files"-button, you can select and add your two images files (front and back side).
Via the "Options"-button, you can select "Images Layout Options" and say that there must be "1" column and "2" rows (instead of "1"). Normally, you can leave the other options untouched, and click OK.

Regards.

don pfortmiller
User

Post by don pfortmiller » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:14 am

Thanks again Willy. Some more good thoughts on how to "do it".

My scanner software does support scanning a custom page size, so I set up a half-page size for scanning.

So this is my process:
  • Make two scans, one for the front and one for the back.
  • Combine the scans into one PDF output document. (done with the scanning software)
  • Open the new PDF document in the Editor.
  • Print the document from the Editor using the "Multiple pages per sheet" setting to get a single page PDF.
This works OK, so my problem is solved.
Thanks for all of the good suggestions you have given me.

Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:47 am

Done with pleasure.

:-)

Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:09 pm

Thanks very much for the assist, Willy!

:D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America