How do I perform batch OCR with PDF-Tools as advertised?

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools Version 4

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

devinbost
User

How do I perform batch OCR with PDF-Tools as advertised?

Post by devinbost » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:23 am

According to the feature chart http://www.tracker-software.com/pdf-xch ... ison-chart, PDF-Tools indicates support for "OCR image based PDFs to Text Searchable and Selectable PDF (not directly editable)."

I have figured out how to perform OCR using PDF-XChange, but I have a large collection (an entire filesystem) of images that need to be processed, so I would like to use the batch features of PDF-Tools. How do I use the advertised OCR features of PDF-Tools to perform batch optical character recognition (OCR)?

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: How do I perform batch OCR with PDF-Tools as advertised?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:22 am

Hello devinbost,

Welcome to our forums.
A PDF Tools license includes the Editor/Viewer, so when something is possible to be done with the Editor - there would be a checkbox for the PDF Tools column in the chart as well.
Unfortunately the PDF Tools itself does not offer a batch OCR feature, so you will need to perform it document by document with the Editor.
To speed up things you could e.g. merge 10,20 or 50 files together, OCR them, and then split them back to individual files (the OCR text layer will stay with it's corresponding page after the split).

Regards,
Stefan