Merging alternate pages

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools Version 4

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

StoryBoarder
User

Merging alternate pages

Post by StoryBoarder » Tue May 12, 2015 5:22 pm

We scan manuals that are printed on both sides of the sheets.
This results in 2 PDFs, one containing the even-numbered pages, the other the odd-numbered flip sides.

What's a smooth and efficient way to combine them? ATM I manually drag them one by one, to re-create the original order. But with hundreds of pages that's tedious work and also error-prone when you lose your focus.

Is there a recommended workflow/ technique for this?

Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Merging alternate pages

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp » Tue May 12, 2015 5:31 pm

Hello Stefan,

Thank you for the email. When scanning a double sided PDF using the Editor, you can actually set the Editor to automatically combine the pages in order by choosing "Manual Duplex", or "Manual duplex Reversed".

You will need to choose the setting based off of your scanner, so trial and error must be conducted on your end.

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America

StoryBoarder
User

Post by StoryBoarder » Tue May 12, 2015 9:04 pm

Thank you Patrick,

Unfortunately the scanning is done elsewhere, on a standalone machine that's not hooked up to any computer. We just get the PDF's on a USB stick.

Is there anything else we could do on the combining side, when merging the PDFs, to speed up the manual workflow?

Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp » Tue May 12, 2015 9:18 pm

Hello Stefan
Regrettably there is no other way to accomplish merging PDF in that way, though an option is on the wishlist. I am unable to provide any kind of timeline for this.

Thanks for understanding.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest

StoryBoarder
User

Post by StoryBoarder » Tue May 12, 2015 9:43 pm

Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote:...there is no other way to accomplish merging PDF in that way, though an option is on the wishlist.
Good to hear. I hope it will make it into one of next updates.

My last faint hope, is there any kind of automation feature - 3rd party or built-in - that we could use to split both PDFs, front and backside, into fragments of single-page PDFs that get named 1-3-5-7 and 2-4-6-8 respectively, then pull in those individual PDF-files in the correct order 1-2-3-4 .... of their file names?

Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp » Tue May 12, 2015 10:51 pm

Hello Stefan,

I've just tried a process similar to what you described using PDF-Tools, however you are still required to drag and drop the pages into the proper order.

We're very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. At this time, my best recommendation would be to try to find a way to use the Editor to scan your pages.

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest

StoryBoarder
User

Post by StoryBoarder » Wed May 13, 2015 12:38 am

Thank you Patrick,
I really appreciate you taking the time trying to help me out in this matter.

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Wed May 13, 2015 10:22 am

Hello Stefan,

For the moment you can merge the odd and even pages so that they are in the same file, and then use some JS for to quickly order them in the correct and desired order:
http://www.tracker-software.com/forum3/ ... 411#p66411

Regards,
Stefan

StoryBoarder
User

Post by StoryBoarder » Wed May 13, 2015 6:45 pm

:shock: - This is GREAT. :D
Thanks a ton, Stefan. Exactly what I had hoped for. 8)

Cannot say I understand the script, but it works, and that's the main point.

Would you mind providing one more variation? It sometimes happens that the person at the scanner reverses the order of the flip sides. After merging the files into one, the script would have to re-sort in this order:
1-99-2-98-3-97-4-96 ....

Not meaning to overextend your helpfulness, but I'd love to have a backup script to cover these scenarios. And I cannot figure it out myself (although I tried)

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Thu May 14, 2015 11:47 am

Hello Stefan,

This is the Script for use when the pages are ordered
1, 3, 5, ... ,2n-1, 2n, 2n-2, ... 4, 2 (even number of pages)
or
1, 3, 5, ... ,2n-1, 2n-2, 2n-4 ... 4, 2 (odd number of pages)
In both cases the odd pages are first and the even ones, after them. The even could be equal or less the number of odd pages, but can not be more (this is not checked by the script, you should ensure it yourself):

Code: Select all

for (i = 0; i < ((this.numPages - 1)/2); i++) 
{
  this.movePage(this.numPages-1,2*i);
}
The above script goes through the bottom half of the pages, and moves the last one at it's correct position.

Regards,
Stefan

StoryBoarder
User

Post by StoryBoarder » Fri May 15, 2015 7:04 am

Many many thanks, Stefan

Ran a few tests and this works just as flawless as the other script.
This is a TREMENDOUS time saver. :D

Mind-boggling to think about the power this scripting feature holds in store. Makes me wonder what other gems might be buried in the forum. Is there a script repository or some kind of tag or keyword search to track down scripts?

Best regards
Stefan

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Fri May 15, 2015 9:23 am

Hello Stefan,

Glad to hear it's working.
We do have a few samples here:
http://tracker-software.com/knowledgebase/355

And if you search the forums you might be able to find a few more, but we do not have any special collection of such scripts.
We do support around 98% of this, so is you have some JS knowledge you can write some quite powerful scripts yourself.

Regards,
Stefan

StoryBoarder
User

Post by StoryBoarder » Fri May 15, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi Stefan,

both links are very helpful. I also came to understand the 'undefined' message in the console. Eases my mind to read that is not an error of some kind - although I didn't worry too much about it since your scripts had worked anyway.

The reference manual did not seem applicable at first glance, until I hit the Doc-section with its properties and methods. Same for the Error-section.

Thanks again
Stefan

Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp » Fri May 15, 2015 9:39 pm

Hi StoryBoarder,

Stefan is away, so I will forward your thanks along to him.

Cheers! :D
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest