Scanner not found

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools Version 4

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Chris - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan

sinecure
User

Scanner not found

Post by sinecure » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:34 am

I have just purchased a Canon Pixma MG6320 Al-in-One. I have PDF-XChange PRO Build 214.2 (214) installed and for and that was a fairly recent download from your website downloads for the Pro although I notice the . I am using Win7 64 bit fully updated.
When I open PD tools and select Scan the menu at the right Select Scan Source is in active - the links are not alive. If I click Start anyway I get The import sources not found and click OK to just a blank with no scanner option.
I tried the download of the 32 bit thing and installed it in the Program foler. It did not make a (2) folder a the instructions said it would. There was a new PDFTools4.exe link though so I clicked it and PDTools opened again and I got a choice of import sources including the new printer. I clicked on it and Next and it opened a Canon ScanGear thing. There the Scan button would not work on the Basic Mode. If I went to the Advanced Mode then it would preview the item but if I then clicked Scan nothing happens.
Tracker always worked fine with my old Epson Artisan 710.
HELP! PLEASE. I depend on Tracker for so many webpage items.

Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Scanner not found

Post by Will - Tracker Supp » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi sinecure,

Thanks for the post - could you please try scanning with any other application (such as paint) and let me know if it works with that?

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com

sinecure
User

Post by sinecure » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. I experimented for some hours yesterday and finally took all the supplied printer/scanner software right out. I uninstalled the printer. Then I plugged it in again and after Microsoft did its thing with some drivers or something I went digging in the Devices and Printers . There was a simple link for a WIA driver in 'scan photos or documents' and it provides the same scanning basics as you get with Paint. I made a desktop shortcut for this. I have ended up with the scanner working in all programs including Tracker but with absolutely no bells and whistles as advertised by Canon. This will do OK for me as it happens but it is not right for millions.

1)I do not know if this is a Tracker issue or a Canon one. If it is Canon then what do I say to them? I don't have the technical skill sot describe Tracker vs. Canon. If it is Tracker, well!

2) Not to add work but can one set the default scanner in Tracker so as not to have to select each time? I still have the failing Epson attached (not turned on but because I occasionally will use it for disk printing) and so I have to choose between it and the new Canon each time. That is a pain. If there is no way maybe add it to your list of things to do as I am sure others have 2 scanners for whatever reason.

The joys of new hardware.

Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:31 pm

Hi sinecure,

If you're using TWAIN drivers, then I suspect that the issue is with trying to use 32-bit TWAIN drivers with a 64-bit application, which is not possible, I'm afraid. I'd recommend downloading and installing the WIA drivers and seeing if that helps.

As far as the request goes, setting a default Scanner is not something that we can handle, but something that Windows would have to handle. The closest solution that I could offer, would be to configure a preset from within the Editor's scan dialogue.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com