"Advanced Memory Management" - where is the manual?

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Peter2
User

"Advanced Memory Management" - where is the manual?

Post by Peter2 »

The driver offers "Optimization Settings", partially described in manual, page 52, chapter 2.17.

But I'm missing the description of "Advanced Memory Management": it is displayed on the screenshot, page 52, but there is no information.

Please let me know what this feature does (and what not). I'm working with large(!) rasterfiles (up to 4000 x 1000 mm), and the "optimization" and "swap" sounds important - but I don't know what it does :cry: :cry:

Peter
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: "Advanced Memory Management" - where is the manual?

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI Peter,

"Enable Optimization of Images Sequences" covers a number of things that the driver will attempt to do when it detects it can. The details are probably not something that will likely make it into the manual however.

A couple of examples include tiling of background images in Internet Explorer. IE will attempt to render the tiled image repeatedly. In this case it can be more efficient to send a single image of the corresponding resolution than to have that same number of pixels represented in multiple files.

Another example would be when rendering transparencies. There are efficiencies to be gained by not rendering a background layer, mask layer and so on.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:... The details are probably not something that will likely make it into the manual however....
I agree after reading your posting.

But, making it more simple:

Situation:
I have drawings (AutoCAD) with integrated TIFs (black-white, transparent background, 400 dpi, large dimensions, TIF-size > 1 MB).

Question:
What are the best settings in "optimization" to keep a high-quality, transparent PDF?

Peter
PDF-X-Change Pro German
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

The problem is AutoCAD related in that when a PDF is created using the print method - it sends the TIF image as a series of lines and this generates a huge number of small images which cannot be effectively optimised - and therefore except by trial and error there is no way to consistently know what is the best result - for example try printing the TIF image from another imaging application to PDF and you will find there is little or nothing you need to modify to get acceptable results - our internal engine will do the job for you - from AutoCAD this is impossible due to the very inefficient output method they employ to print.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:... it sends the TIF image as a series of lines and this generates a huge number of small images which cannot be effectively optimised ...
That's interesting - I contacted Autodesk some weeks ago because of the trouble with these stupid lines. But the reaction was not really useful.

Thanks, for me this topic is OK now.

Peter
PDF-X-Change Pro German
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Peter - appreciate your understanding.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support