Silent Uninstall?

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Bob Hartung
User

Silent Uninstall?

Post by Bob Hartung »

We've got a 50 user license of PDF-XChange Pro and I'm starting to update users from v3 to v4. I've configured the silent install of v4 and that will make installing it run pretty smoothly. But I still need to remove v3 and even v2.5 from the PCs I'm updating.

Since I couldn't find any documentation addressing silent uninstalling I'm guessing it's not a feature so I thought I'd recommend that it should be.

Ideally it would be incorporated into the new version command line install program, for instance /REMOVE-OLD. It should be controlled the same way as the install is by the /SILENT and /NOREBOOT parameters. It should be able to detect any old version(s) of PDF-XChange and launch its uninstall routine prior to installing the new version. In the event that the PC doesn't have any version of PDF-XChange installed, the routine should handle that without stopping the rest of the install.

With respect to the /NOREBOOT parameter, it would be nice to be able to have a popup informational message reminding the user that a new version has been installed and that they'll need to reboot prior to using PDF-XChange.

Thanks.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi Bob,

You can call the V3 uninstall silently - bear in mind these are 2 different releases and many users prefer us to treat them as 100% different products - as they often like to run both in parralel for a while to ensure V4 is robust and settled down before they uninstall V3.

Locate the name of the v3 uninstall exe and the folder -usually :

C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange 3 Pro\unins000.exe

and run this - you can use the same switches as you can for the install - such as /VERSILENT and /NOREBOOT etc.

Setting the verysilent switch will inevitabley stop any messages from popping - so there is no point in us offering a message to remidn the user to restart.

If you wish to do this - I would suggest you set up a small .BAT to call the uninstall of V3, install V4 and the pop a message reminding the user to restart at the end.

Lastly - this is the Viewer Forum - not the PDF-XChange product forum :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com