Some hyperlinks get corrupted when printing

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ANI
User

Some hyperlinks get corrupted when printing

Post by ANI »

Certain hyperlinks seem to get corrupted at least when a Microsoft Word document is converted to PDF/A-2u via the printer driver. The links in the original Word document work correctly.

The problem can be reproduced with PDF-XChange V8 as well as with 9.0 build 351.0. Please see attached examples of a corrupted hyperlink along with correctly working examples (A.pdf, B.pdf).

(Actually I have already sent e-mail to support about this problem in late January, but have not heard anything for almost three weeks despite asking for some feedback, so I thought to try this channel. I'm sorry if I'm too hasty here - I just remember the support having been very responsive in earlier times, and I got a bit worried if there are some problems in using that channel nowadays... I have already sent the corresponding .docx files to support; please check with Dimitar)
Attachments
B.pdf
(22.6 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
A.pdf
(39.67 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Some hyperlinks get corrupted when printing

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hi,

It seems like your hyperlink goes over three different lines.

When using the Link Edit tool (in PDF-XChange Editor), I can see that the hyperlink should be correct for the second and the third part of the hyperlink but not for the first part. I hope that Tracker Software Support can give you an explanation for this.

On the other part, when you have a license for the PDF-XChange Standard printer, you should also have the 'add-ins' available for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, ... In case you have installed these add-ins, you should have additional tabs/ribbons in the Microsoft Applications, with the name "PDF-XChange". In these toolbars there is an icon: "Convert to PDF" and also another icon "Edit Settings".
By default the option for converting hyperlinks is ON. Can you please try "Convert to PDF" and verify if it is a worthful alternative ?

Kind regards.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi ANI,

I do apologize for the poor response from the support email. We usually are pretty good at responding to these.

I looked and could not actually find any email from you current email address - so I have asked Dimitar to follow up on this since you appear to have already sent him the doc files.

sorry for the delay here.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
ANI
User

Post by ANI »

Please remove the e-mail address from the above post.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Ani,

Thank you for contacting us again.

It seems that I have missed your previous email message.

I asked again our developers for an update about your problem and once they respond I will contact you again.

The email address was removed.

I apologize for mentioning your email address in a public topic.

Regards.
ANI
User

Post by ANI »

I wonder if there are any news concerning this problem...
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Unfortunately, there is still no news.

I can assure you that once this problem is resolved I will contact you.

Regards.
ANI
User

Post by ANI »

I must say that I'm somewhat confused...

I created the ticket to Tracker Support in January. Now it is April, and so far I have not heard anything about the investigation, not to mention about a solution or even estimated schedule for a fix. And to my understanding the nature of the problem should be pretty straightforward, if not even trivial to solve.

I have been using the product for years and have had has some issues in the past, too. However earlier the solution has been found in a reasonable timeframe, and I also have received at least some feedback from the support or development team on the progress or solution.

This is the first time that I remember having been contacted by the European Support, which makes me wonder if the European support is somehow isolated from the US support and the product development... (I hope that it is not the case, but if it is, it would not be the first time I have seen this happen when an American corporation extends its business to Europe).

I still have 600 days remaining in my maintenance agreement and I do hope that the days will not reach zero before something concrete happens... :(
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Ani,

I am sorry to hear of your frustration in this regard.

You said:
I created the ticket to Tracker Support in January.
Do you have a ticket number? I can look up the state of things if you post it here, or email it to support@pdf-xchange.com I am looking for something like the ticket posted here: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=29390#p117088

That is the only ticket I could find in our system that is associated with your email address.

We have both European and North American teams, and we work together. Who answers a post or email simply depends on who is on deck at the time.

Hopefully you can post the ticket reference here, else I am afraid it will be after Easter before I am likely to be in touch with the European team.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
ANI
User

Post by ANI »

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply.

I sent some background information to support email address with the subject line "ATTN: Paul O'Rorke / Some hyperlinks get corrupted when printing".
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us again.

Unfortunately, the problem is still not resolved.

I promised to contact you once it is, and I definitely will.

However, since our developers are quite busy I cannot give you an exact date when this will happen.
They currently have a lot of work to do around all of the products and a lot of cases to resolve.

I'm asking you to please be patient, because this is not the only case that they need to resolve.

Please also keep in mind that none of the rest PDF printers that I tried, have managed to preserve the links in the brackets ( Adobe PDF printer, MS Print To PDF, Foxit PDF printer, Bluebeam PDF printer ), so this is not an easy task to do.

As a workaround to this problem, you may open the Word file directly into our PDF Editor and save it as a PDF file.
That way the links will be preserved as they are.

image1.png

You may also use the MS Office Add-on which also will provide you with the desired results.

image.png

The ticket number you should referring when asking for an update on the case is:

#5564: Standard 352: The printer driver is not recognizing the links inside this file correctly

Regards.