V8-Lite: Option for "save as .." not working?

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Peter2
User

V8-Lite: Option for "save as .." not working?

Post by Peter2 »

I have problems to define the option for "save as: path" ..

In the dialogue, I can select what I want - from menu or from "Browse", and always it writes the selected path to the input field. But nevertheless - the selection "Last used path" stays always toggled, and the PDF is always saved in "Last used path" - not in "Pictures", not in "Temp"....
pdf_lite_save-as-path.png
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: V8-Lite: Option for "save as .." not working?

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the post - Are you changing these settings from within the print dialog in an application, or the Control Panel? If the former, please do this from within the Control Panel as changes made to printer settings are only changed for that application session, when done via the print dialog.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

Hi Will

the problem is in the session itself. I change it in printer-properties, but it does not accept it.
I will send a link to a screencast to supoort ..
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that - I believe that this is because the Last Used Path option is set. Disabling this should give you the results that you want.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:22 am ...I believe that this is because the Last Used Path option is set. Disabling this should give you the results that you want....
Hi Will

yes, confirmed.

Is this behaviour really intended and the common "state of the art of usability"?

On the left side there is displayed an active edit field which can be modified, but is not accepted? The (usually) hidden "last used path" overwrites all other settings?
I thought that when the user selects "pictures" or "documents", the "last used path" should be disabled (because the user decided for "pictures").
PDF-X-Change Pro German
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Peter,

That is correct, the "Last used" option will not take effect until the driver has been used at least once, so until then all these options are present and can be active simultaneously. Once a file has been saved, there is a "last used" save location available to be used, and thus it can take priority over the other options, this is to ease the process for users who commonly save a group of files to a location, then move on to another batch in a different location without having to make changes to the driver profile. If you wish to disable this permanently, I would advise setting up a custom profile with the desired settings:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... e-Standard

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

Hell Daniel

the idea for itself is OK for me, but the handling is totally confusing - as described above. I select an option ("Images"), the edit box confirms my decision, but the software does not care and uses an hidden (not visible in dialogue without explicit opening) setting. This could be done better (clearer for the user).
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

Edit - deleted, because useless copy of the posting above.
Last edited by Peter2 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comments - We'll take them into consideration for a future release, but as always we cannot guarantee change at this time.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:42 pm ... We'll take them into consideration for a future release...
That's fine, thanks.

Peter
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
zimmer controls and contracting
User

Post by zimmer controls and contracting »

I came across this thread searching about the same issue. I have used other PDF print drivers in the past that allow you to specify a default folder. No matter what, if you print a PDF it would automatically save based on FILENAME to the specified FOLDER without needing to hit Save.

I was expecting if you uncheck the box about the SAVE AS dialog, that it would automatically save to the folder specified.

Instead, it seems like no matter what I do, it prints out to the last used folder.

Could you add a checkbox "Always Save As to Default Folder" so no matter what all PDFs go to one Output folder without a Save As dialog?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Zimmer,

We are discussing refactoring this area of the dialog, but for the time being please uncheck the "last used" option before unchecking the "show save as dialog" option. This will then force the application to use the specified path automatically for saving.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com