Print to Memory / unsaved file

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

larrykl
User

Print to Memory / unsaved file

Post by larrykl »

I'm trying to replace another software we have that provider a PDF editor and print driver. The print drive allows us to print to PDF as a new, unsaved document in the PDF editor software. So, when you print, the editor software opens and a new, unsaved document with the result is displayed. You can then continue to edit there or save to a location you'd like. In our case, we use a feature which allows us to send the PDF by email as an attachment directly from the PDF editor app. We could then close the doc without ever saving it, so it only existed in memory.

It seems that the PDF-XChange print driver and drivers from several other apps we've tested force you to save the PDF to a location and then that saved doc is opened up in the editor app. This is problematic. We do this so much during the course of the day that we'd end up with a folder full of PDF files that we'd manually have to clean up. Is there any way to use the PDF-XChange print driver and editor is a similar way where we could do things in memory without saving, i.e. print to PDF which opens as unsaved in PDF Exchange editor and then work from there to send by email for example and then close?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Print to Memory / unsaved file

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Larrykl,
Currently there is not a method to do this in our Editor, but I am curious about what other software offers this functionality, could you tell me the name of this software so I can inspect it?
After that ill likely pitch this idea as a new feature, but I need to test it in action first to see any potential issue that could arise.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
larrykl
User

Post by larrykl »

Sure, it is eCopy from Canon. They have a PDF editor and print driver. It is great because you don't have to save the PDF anywhere, it is just in memory as if you created a new PDF and didn't save yet. So can work on it, print it, send by email and then close without saving.

Is there any workaround for this in PDF XChange print driver? I thought about saving files to TEMP, but don't want to build up a bunch of garbage files that need cleaning regularly since we deal with many. Also, thought about using a fixed file name in TEMP so there is only ever one file there, but not sure what happens if we print to PDF a few different docs at the same time. I have a feeling that won't work.

It's seems you could have an option in the Save section of the driver that would allow printing to a new doc in memory instead of forcing to file.

Thanks!
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Larry,

from what format are you converting to PDF? I ask because if it is one of the supported formats (txt,doc, images rtf etc) then you can simply "open" the file in the Editor, send it by email, then close the document without saving it.

It will be saved in the temp folder, however it is regularly 'cleaned' by Windows itself as I am sure you are aware. I suspect your current solution is doing something similar.

What I would suggest is to use the email capabilities of the printer itself. It used to be capable of creating the PDF, emailing it and then deleting the file. That functionality was removed in V7. It is being "resurrected" for the next build.

If you want to test this functionality - go to the previous builds of PDF-XChange Standard and install a test instance. https://www.pdf-xchange.com/versio ... e-standard

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
larrykl
User

Post by larrykl »

We are not opening a doc and then sending as a PDF via email. We are printing from a web page to PDF which opens up as a new file in memory of the PDF editor and then sending via email before the PDF in the editor is ever saved.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi again,

So from the sound of it, you are not actually editing the files, but simply sending them out, is that correct?
If I am correct here, then Pauls method of using the Printer to directly send the file via email would be the ideal method for you to do this.
This can be setup in the Printer Properties under Email:

Support@pdf-xchange.com
larrykl
User

Post by larrykl »

I'll do some checking with our team but I believe they do some editing before emailing also.

I will check up on some of the use cases for having print to PDF go to an unsaved/in-memory PDF doc in the editor and get back to you on that.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Alright, Please do get bac to us,

Also after putting more thought into it, i remembered, you could set the Printer to instantly save the files to a specific folder, for example "Temp" so that it could be easily cleared out without getting in the way of anyone else.

Support@pdf-xchange.com