PDF-XChange - Tracker PDF Viewer - TIFF-XChange - Image-XChange - XMF-XChange - Raster-XChange - Support

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

BigMike
User
Topic Author

Setup doesn't respect previous installation directory on update

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:26 pm

Hi there,

I'm using the ZIP-Package of PDF-XChange Pro. When doing an Update of my current installation, the Setup recognizes the installed components correctly, but not a changed installation directory.
The update will install the new files to the default location, if I don't change it manually.
Could you please change this, that an update will also install to the same customized path by default, as PDF Viewer setup does?

Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Setup doesn't respect previous installation directory on update

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Hello Big Mike,

Thank you for the post. Could you please let us know from what version and build you are updating? Please also specify the installer you originally used for this build, as well as your windows version.

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America

BigMike
User
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Hi,
I'm always using the ZIP Installer Package.
Today, I've updated from build 322.3 to build 322.5. But this happened with all updates until now.
I'm using Windows 10 1703, x64.

I've installed the Tracker products to C:\Program Files\Office\Tracker Software\...
at every update, the new installation path is again C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\... an I'll have to change it again.

Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:30 am

Hi Big Mike,

Thank you for reporting this. I will discuss this with the development team and see if the installers can be modified such that any custom install path is noticed and respected.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America

RobertG
User

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:11 pm

It would be really great if you guys could fix this. When I first installed PDF X-Change and it's printer driver, I chose "Custom Installation" so that I could choose my own folder under Program Files. I do this so that it's easier to identify installed apps later on, as I may not recognize company names. So, my chosen install folder for all Tracker products was "PDF-XChange", with subfolders named for each individual product, e.g., "Editor", "Printer Driver", etc. I generally follow this system for most programs.

However, when I dutifully updated all my PDF X-Change products through the Tracker updater app, I found to my chagrin that the program completely disregarded by custom install locations; it simply wiped out everything I had previously installed (leaving empty folders), and re-installed the updated programs in a location of its choosing (Tracker Software). If I was given a choice to intervene during the update process and choose/preserve the custom locations, I certainly did not notice it.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could amend the way the update program behaves, so that it honors and preserves the install paths chosen by the user upon initial installation.

Thank you!

TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:36 pm

Hello RobertG,
Ive gone ahead and finally created a new formal bug report and informed our lead developer about this. It was intended to have been working since shortly after it was initially reported, I'm not sure when it broke, but we are now working on getting it working again.
Ticket #4274: updater does not respect previous install path
Daniel McIntyre
Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623

BigMike
User
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Was something changed here for version 7.0.325? I had to set the folders myself again at the update.

By the way, I can't change the installation folder for the "XCVault.exe"
While all other files go to the custom installation folders, this one is still placed in %Program Files%\Tracker Software\Vault

TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi BigMike,
This Ticket is still in progress, so it isnt in quite yet.
As for the XCVault location, that is a good catch and I will be adding that to the ticket.
Daniel McIntyre
Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623