PDF-XChange Lite 5.5.308 problem - A4 vs ANSI A

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bcoleman
User

PDF-XChange Lite 5.5.308 problem - A4 vs ANSI A

Post by bcoleman »

I just noticed that when printing a selection from Excel 2010 (14.0.7116.5000 32bit), if I select the printer driver properties as ANSI A, and the Excel properties as Letter, the PDF is produced as an A4 document.

In fact, when printing the attached PDF from Windows Photo Viewer, I selected Letter/ANSI @ 1200x1200 dpi, unselected FIT TO FRAME and the resulting PDF was 33.458 x 43.302 inch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange Lite 5.5.308 problem - A4 vs ANSI A

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi bcoleman,

In Word/Excel -> File -> Options -> Advanced in the "General" section there is a "Scale content for A4 or 8.5 x 11'' paper sizes" - and Excel will always force A4 or Letter based on your regional settings (e.g. A4 for Europe Letter for the US). Turn that off and the problem should disappear.

I am not too sure how you got the other result. Did you print an image to PDF? Or a PDF to image and then opened it Windows Photo Viewer?

Regards,
Stefan
bcoleman
User

Post by bcoleman »

Thanks for the feedback. I have had that excel option selected forever I suppose and have never seen this issue (and I am US based so I would have expected it to default to LETTER). Unchecked it and I got the Letter sized PDF from Excel.

Regarding the other, it was an image viewed in Windows Photo Viewer which I then printed to PDF.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

I suspect this is more to do with the 'sending' app than with the Driver settings as these are not uniformly forced by the sending app - some app's do and some do not - so its a bit of a 'lottery' as to how to handle when our drivers receive the content from the sending application which we try and control from known app's - but cannot always prescribe as there are so many potential input variations possible from so many applications.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
bcoleman
User

Post by bcoleman »

Could be ... although it means that bioPDF (PDF Writer - bioPDF / http://www.biopdf.com) won the lottery as they produce the properly sized PDF when requested.
bcoleman
User

Post by bcoleman »

Also, it seems a little suspicious to me that 43.302 inches is almost exactly 11.00 decimeters and 33.458 inches is almost exactly 8.50 decimeters.

Sounds more like a conversion error between metric and imperial rather than a lottery issue.

Wonder if that has anything to do with the Excel issue noted as well?
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Please uncheck the option "Scale content for A4 or 8.5 x 11" paper sizes" in Excel (other MS Office products have similar option) as shown on screenshot:
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
bcoleman
User

Post by bcoleman »

Yes, thank you. That option (although never before requiring modification) did correctly produce a letter sized PDF in Excel.

No such option exists in Photo Viewer (that I could find).

Something is still not right in the conversion of units though to produce a PDF printed from Photo Viewer at 43.302 inch x 33.458 inch (which just happens to be 1100mm x 850mm) when I requested a Letter sized (11 inch x 8.5 inch) PDF.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for that bcoleman,

we have determined that there is an issue with the way Photo Viewer works with PDF-XChange Lite. We will fix it. The support ticket for this is RT#2558: PDF-XChange Lite 5.5.308 problem - A4 vs ANSI A (Internal only)

Photo Viewer should work properly with the Standard driver, it is only Lite that we see this happening with.

I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
bcoleman
User

Post by bcoleman »

Thank you all for your assistance!

Will I need to keep checking back for updates to the Lite driver or will the program automatically update itself?

Billy
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Billy,

Thanks for the post - currently, there is no Live Update feature for PDF-XChange Lite. We're in the process of overhauling this to make it available to all products, with more options.

For now, I'm afraid that you will have to check back sometime after (very approximately) the next 4 weeks.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi bcoleman,

the support ticket RT#2558: PDF-XChange Lite 5.5.308 problem - A4 vs ANSI A has been resolved. The fix will be in build 310.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America