Printing preferences for all users

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Parps
User

Printing preferences for all users

Post by Parps »

We are running PDF XChange 4.0 Lite (Build 208) on our server. I would like to set the option ‘Run application after printing’ for all users. For an individual user this can be done via the Printers Preferences window.

In the registry I found a value ‘RunApp’ in the key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange Lite 4.0\Drivers\PDF-XChange 4.0 Lite\Profiles\Current\Save]. The Printers Preferences window seems to toggle this value. But only for the user who is logged in.

Is it possible to set such a key for all the users in the network? Of course when logged in as an administrator.

I tried the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tracker Software\pdfxctrl.PdfPrinterPreferences], but that didn’t work.

Best regards,
Parps
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Printing preferences for all users

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Parps,

Yes you can do that with e.g. a run once script that is executed the next time each user logs in and makes the change to the same registry entry.

Regards,
Stefan
Parps
User

Post by Parps »

Hi Stefan,

Thanks, that seems a workable solution to modify existing users. Although I don’t know how to make such a run once script, but that is something to figure out now :roll:

Will this also work for new users? Or is possible to add a key in the [.Default_User….] key?

Cheers,
Parps
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Parps,

I am not a sysadmin myself, but it's unlikely those changes you will do now to be applied to new user accounts, however you could include the same or similar script in the routine you would be executing when creating new users - to ensure their accounts have the same settings.

Regards,
Stefan
Parps
User

Post by Parps »

Hi Stefan,

OK, thank you so far. I will try to figure out with the administrator.

Cheers,
Parps
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)
Parps
User

Post by Parps »

So far so good, we succeeded to run a script which set the settings for every user. So at least the PDF-viewer isn’t started automatically.

However it is still possible that a user ticks an option in the save as dialog. Is it possible to disable that option? In fact it isn’t needed to have those extra options in the save as, so if the can be hidde that would be nice.

Also in the printer preferences there is an option to change the preferences for saving. Is it possible to disable those options as well? Especially for non-administrators.

There reason we would disable the PDF-viewer is that it is running on a Terminal Server and the documents will be stored locally on the user’s own machine. It make more sense to run the viewer there.

Cheers,
Parps
Attachments
Run_PDFviewer_Option.zip
(20.72 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Parps,

No I am afraid that you can't disable/hide this option completely.

Regards,
Stefan
Parps
User

Post by Parps »

Too bad... :(
Maybe I can try something with access rights for the viewer on the server.

Cheers,
Parps
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Parps,

Please do try and let us know how it goes!

Regards,
Stefan