Error creating PDF from Office

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

pmalecki
User

Error creating PDF from Office

Post by pmalecki »

Hello,
I'm evaluating PDF Exchange PRO (5.0.264.0).

Using either regular printing or the Addins for the Office applications I observe the following:
- printing any the document for first time after the computer boot everything works fine (the document is finally displayed) for the user
- when printing with Office Addin, succeding attempts to create PDF lead to the error message "The PDF-XChange Printer driver was not found or could not be loaded. Please reinstall."
- succeding "normal" printing to from Office PDFXChange Printer produces then an error too, which is assisted by a more explaining text but nothing significantly ore (some typical Office hints for troubleshooting).
- printing from any other application shows essentially the same behaviour

My observation is, that this is accompanied by the task pdfsaver5.exe which remains alive after printing a document (and prevents further jobs). When pdfsaver5.exe is killed manually after the every print from the task manager, then every succeding print is fine

Is this problem generally known to you or only my computer (Win XP Prof) suffers from it?

Regards
Piotr
pmalecki
User

Re: Error creating PDF from Office

Post by pmalecki »

Hello whoever reads it,
on the next day... problem is gone.

I did intentionally nothing more than I did yesterday: computer off / on.

Unfortunately I'm not so really happy, because I don't like miracles and wizards... Particularly in front of a deployment of 500 licenses...

Regards
Piotr
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Piotr,

Glad to hear the problem is gone today, but are you using the latest build of our products? As this issue with the pdfSaver5.exe not unloading was present in an older build but should have been resolved with the latest one.

Best,
Stefan
pmalecki
User

Post by pmalecki »

Hello Stefan,
thanks for your patience and courtesy.

I'm using the latest version available for download (Version: 5.0.264 (Updated on 14 Aug, 2012) ). I hope at least, this is the last version...

I'll observe this behavior.

Cheerio
Piotr
pmalecki
User

Post by pmalecki »

Hi Stefan,
unfortunately the same story today...

But... I have a further observation: the problem occurs ONLY, when the option "Run Viewer Application after Saving" in the PDF-store dialog is activated!

When Viewer is not started at the end of the PDF creation, then everything is OK! The succeding PDF creation attempts run well. They stop to run well, when the option "Run Viewer Application after Saving" is activated again.

The pdfsaver5.exe is running continuously all time.

Does it help in some way analysing the problem?

Bye
Piotr
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Piotr,

Thanks - this might be a good lead. Do you have any other settings in the Save section of the drivers changed from their defaults? E.g. are you saving to the same file name? As when you open a file in our Viewer it is locked and the driver will not be able to overwrite it or append to the same file. So if you have options that modify the same file - you should not have the "Run Viewer Application..." option enabled.
A screenshot with all the settings you are using will be most helpful for us to try and reproduce your issue.

Please make sure you have the latest Viewer (build 2.5.205) as well!

Best,
Stefan
pmalecki
User

Post by pmalecki »

Hello Stefan,

1) The viewer has the version number you recommend.
2) The PDFSaver-Settings are on the screenshot (with "Run Viewer Application After Saving" disabled / uncheked of course)
3) During my tests I always close the viewer after showing the document, so its not prohibiting the overwrite during new re-creation
4) The Viewer is forked from the pdfsaver5.exe (See screenshot of Process Explorer)

If I may provide any further information to you, I'll be glad doing it.

Best,
Piotr
Attachments
PDFXCHange_2.pdf
Screenshot Process Explorer
(13.89 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
PDFXCHange_1.pdf
Screenshot PDF Creator
(37.79 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Nico - Tracker Supp
User

Post by Nico - Tracker Supp »

Hi pmalecki,

Thank you for all the information you have provided.
I tried to reproduce the issue without luck, everything worked as expected.
If you get the error message "The PDF-XChange Printer driver was not found or could not be loaded. Please reinstall." it means there is some issue related with the registry and your Operating System configuration.
Please try to uninstall and install again PDF-XChange Pro.
Also, are you able to reproduce this issue consistently? Does it happen every time you follow the same steps?
Thanks.

Sincerely,
pmalecki
User

Post by pmalecki »

Hello,
thanks Nico for the hints.

I have tried many times to unistall and reinstall the package (booting as required).
I have manually deleted the registry Software/Tracker_Software for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

What I'm unable to do is to remove anything else from registry I don't know about the existence...
Particularly I can't deregister any DLL if they are registered by the installation procedure and eventually not deregistered at the uninstall process.

At the beginning of my trials I have installed some Developers Products for PDFExchange to control the print process from own applications. All this has been already deinstalled since "long" time. Is it possible that this disrupted in some way something?

I can reproduce the problem every time following the same sequence of actions.

To me it seems, that something is blocking the pdfsaver5.exe from accepting new calls after forking/spawn a new instance of PDFViewer. This seems to be rather far from the process of creation of PDF itself. Smells after Inter Process Communication (IPC).

I'm keeping on investigating the problem.

Regards and many thanks.
Piotr
Nico - Tracker Supp
User

Post by Nico - Tracker Supp »

Hi Piotr,

Thank you for your post.
The software should be uninstalled by using the installer from the Control Panel.
User configuration for older versions will be kept in the Registry and this is normal.
Please try to uninstall everything you have from Tracker from the Control Panel, reboot, and install PDF-XChange Pro.
Thanks.

Sincerely,
pmalecki
User

Post by pmalecki »

Hi Nico,

I repeated all the steps. No improvement.

I'll try next week on other computers of my collegues which are set-up in the same way (I mean the computers, not the collegues :wink: ).

I'll let you know the result.

Bye
Piotr
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Piotr,

Looking forward to the update how it went on your colleagues' machines.

Cheers,
Stefan
pmalecki
User

Post by pmalecki »

Hi Stefan,
I'm giving up with this problem. :-)

On the computer of my collegue everything works well all the time on all days of the week.
On my computer everything went well on thursday, but no more on friday...

As we are soon changing the OS to Windows 7, I'm testing now on Windows 7 VM having no problems.

Thans for your assistance.

My general feedback to you: you are a customer-oriented, efficient team.

Regards
Piotr
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the kind words Piotr,

And hope that you will move to Win7 sooner and get this issue behind your back!

Cheers,
Stefan