Settings not applying - PDF-XChange Printer Lite 2012

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mihlfeld & associates, inc.
User

Settings not applying - PDF-XChange Printer Lite 2012

Post by mihlfeld & associates, inc. »

When I try to go into the settings for the printer properties, I cannot get changes I make for settings to stick. For instance, under the "Save" setting category I am not able to make the "Run Application After Printing" checkbox stay unchecked. Once I hit Apply or OK and close the window, it's all back to defaults when I re-open the settings. I've tried this on three separate machines and get the same results every time. This is using a licensing copy and not the free version, by the way.

Please advise as to what I may be doing wrong to not have settings stick.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Settings not applying - PDF-XChange Printer Lite 2012

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello mihlfeld & associates, inc.,

Please make sure you are logged in with an account that have privileges to make changes to the registry, and then try to make those changes once again from Start -> Devices and Printers -> PDF XChange 2012 -> Right click -> Printing preferences and see if they will be preserved this way.

Also make sure you have installed the latest build.
You can always find the latest installation files on our website:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads

Best,
Stefan
User

I am doing this as an administrator account (both domain administrator and local administrator). I am using the most current build which I downloaded yesterday (PDF-Xchange Printer Lite 2012 Version 5.0 build 263). I had the same results with both a Windows 2003 Server R2 64-bit and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit setup. The changes were done through the means that you gave from the printer properties.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi mihlfeld & associates, inc.,

I did try and could not reproduce this on Win 7 Ultimate x64, and we will try to set up and test the same on a Win Server 2003 R2 virtual machine now.

Best,
Stefan
User

I have continued to test this and get the same results with a Windows XP SP3 32-bit machine as well as another Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine running the latest service pack and windows updates. The last two machines I tested weren't part of our corporate network (I did this just to be sure some sort of policy / security restriction wasn't causing problems). To be sure of the installer I'm using, I am grabbing the download from this page:

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product ... hange-lite

I am choosing the "ZIP installer (32/64 bit) | 11 MB" download from the "Download Now" box on the right side of the page. We have a licensed version of PDF-XChange Viewer PRO from which I am using the license for PDF-XChange Printer Lite 2012 (per the promo mentioned here from our recent purchase: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/free_offer_lite.html).

Please let me know what you come up with as I have now tried this on at least 4 different machines with a few different operating systems and in a few different network environments. Our people using this software are growing tired of always having the default PDF viewer pop up when they print to PDF as the vast majority of the time they just need to create the file and not have it also pop up on their screen after creation.

Thanks.
User

I have to apologize here. Even though you clearly stated to go to "Printing Preferences", I was going to "Printer Properties" and then the "Settings" tab (which is the same window). Once I actually went in through "Printing Preferences", it saved the settings without issue for me. What causes this behavior that the settings only save if using "Printing Preferences" versus the "Printing Properties --> Settings" window?

I guess my only last question is whether it's possible to push out global settings to all users on a terminal server. I'm looking through the registry to see what's changed with these settings and it appears the printer has a unique hash per user, so I wouldn't just be able to push out HKCU registry settings via group policy or anything like I can with PDF X-Change Viewer Pro. There's a couple settings that I would like to have set for all users and would prefer if possible not to ask them to set these settings manually.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

I believe it has something to do with permissions but I will check with my colleagues to see if I can find some more info on this!

Best,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

This is a bit older topic, but we've promised to follow it through - so can you please try to download and install the latest (5.0.265) build of the Lite printing driver:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/downloa ... 5SA_LE.zip
And see if this is still an issue.

Best,
Stefan
User

I'm not noticing any behavior that is different from before. It appears to be working as it did previously, but as long as people change the settings via the "Printing Preferences" context menu rather than going to the printer properties and then settings, it all seems to work fine.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

OK - well let us know if you need anything further here.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

The latest build has not introduced any new functionality so you should not see any different behaviour. It should have only fixed issues that we've identified since build 264.

Could you please confirm (as it's not 100% clear for me from your latest post) that even with build 265 the issue with changing settings through
Start -> Devices and Printers -> PDF XChange Lite 2012 -> Printing Properties -> Settings Tab is still not working properly?

Best,
Stefan
User

Correct--going to the properties for the PDF printer, then the Settings tab to change options still doesn't save any changes. It's still required to go to the Printing Preferences context menu after right-clicking the printer to change options and have them stick.
Last edited by mihlfeld & associates, inc. on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for confirming this mihlfeld & associates, inc.

We will now discuss this once again and update this topic when we have further news.

Best,
Stefan
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

There is a Support Request Ticket open for this: RT#1663: Lite Driver settings issue and it's being worked on right now.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com