Resulting PDF displaying as very minature of original

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

posword
User

Resulting PDF displaying as very minature of original

Post by posword »

I have been having problems with PDF-Xchange PRO 4 so have updated to 5.028 but still have the same problem.

I'm exporting out of PageMaker 7 under Windows 7 Ultimate, and the last time I did this in February it worked perfectly.

Now I'm getting a very tiny version of the document in the top-left corner. Please see attached PDF file.

I have spent a lot of time trying to get the settings right but I'd really like to know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
Peter
Attachments
9780909362409_txt-1-14.pdf
This file contains only page 1-14 of a 124-page document.
(193.76 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Resulting PDF displaying as very minature of original

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Peter,

Please check the DPI and scale settings in both the printing drivers and in Page Maker, as this looks to me like a settings issue.

Best,
Stefan
posword
User

Post by posword »

Good morning, Stefan.

Yes, I have now checked the items in PageMaker (all were ok) and in the Print Setup, which I carefully compared with the v.4 manual (which needs updating as item names and features have changed). The problem is solved.

The confusion arose in Print / Setup / Pages / Layout because when you have a book open in PageMaker or InDesign and have a 2-page spread on the screen, which is the common view for books, what is meant by "Standard" in the Layout section (was "Normal" in v.4)? I wanted a single page not the view I'm seeing in PageMaker on screen, so I chose "nUP" in v.4 and selected "1" as the number of pages. However, this does not equal "Standard" or "Normal", by which you apparantly mean a single page (found that out from the manual).

So "Multiple Pages on One Sheet" (v.5) produces one minature page on a sheet, as if it were one page of 16 to a sheet, which I suspect is a bug. The picture in the Print Setup shows one page filling the sheet but that is not what is produced. So in my mind "Standard" should read "One page per sheet".

I also wanted PDF/x-1a:2001, as required by Lightning Source printers, but I only saw PDF version numbers to choose from, whereas in Acrobat Pro I'm given the choice of protocols.

In the Compression dialog, v.5 no longer has the pure Zip option for High Color / Grayscale and forces the user to use Jpeg. However, when using a PDF for high-quality print, Jpeg is not the option you need but Zip is, so I'm forced to not use Graphic Compression.

I hope all that makes sense. I'm still glad I bought a license, though.

Thanks,
Peter
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Glad to hear the problem is solved Peter,

I will need to double check this - but I would presume that the ZIP option is now the default compression used (the Auto setting) and that's why it's gone. If it is in error - we will see to get that back in the list.

Best,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello posword,

I just spoke with one of my colleagues and he told me that Flate = Zip

Best,
Stefan
posword
User

Post by posword »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello posword,

I just spoke with one of my colleagues and he told me that Flate = Zip
Well, thanks, Stephan. I've never heard of Flate! I have heard of other varieties of Zip like 7Zip, the old GZip, etc. Perhaps it would be wise to put Zip in brackets after Flate.

I think we can close this thread now.

Cheers,

Peter
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Certainly Peter,

Will pass the disambiguation suggestion. And case closed!

Cheers,
Stefan