PDFXchgPro4 - Excel to PDF conversion quit working

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Judy
User

PDFXchgPro4 - Excel to PDF conversion quit working

Post by Judy »

When converting an Excel (2003) to PDF - the function hangs up after adding PDF-Xchange 4.0 Office to the Printers and Faxes and making that option the default. I am able to convert both Word (2003) and Powerpoint (2003) to PDF without problems. And the temporary printer disappears following these conversions.

With Excel - the Task Manager shows two Excels open and says neither is responding. The only way out is to end task. This leaves the temporary printer in the Printers and Faxes as the default. This problem cropped up within the past couple weeks - and defies all my attempts to fix it. Gotta be something I'm overlooking. J
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDFXchgPro4 - Excel to PDF conversion quit working

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Judy,

are you running the latest build? (build 4.0200 is current)

You can download the full PDF-Xchange PRO installer here :

www.tracker-software.com/PDFX4.zip

or with regards the Viewer only - :

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... nt-version
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

Yes, I am using the latest version. I checked this a.m. before posting -- Tracker update indicated there were no updates. J

How can I verify the version #. I don't see version under properties. J
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi Judy - please see:

Devices & Printers List -> Select PDF-XChange -> Printing Preferences -> Then the TAB at the top titles 'About'

Hope that helps
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Judy,

Thanks - can you please update to build 4.0200 using the link below - this may help - if not - please can we get a copy of the problematic sheets and we will endeavour to replicate and advise further - if you would rather not upload here - you can attach and email support@pdf-xchange.com - with a link in the email to this post for reference.

please 'Zip' any files sent.

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFX4.zip

Many thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

This is becoming very painful. I've successfully upgraded to v. 4.0 Build 200. I've made sure all Windows and XP updates are current.

Here are the details again. (Nothing has changed following updates.) I can create PDFs from Word 2003 and Powerpoint 2003 -- but still not from Excel 2003. It doesn't matter the size of the file.

I create a really SIMPLE Excel 2003 file (attached) to test -- no luck. I watched Task Manager and Printers/Faxes as the conversion problem was unfolding. The temporary printer gets created. Then another copy of the Excel file gets opened -- and both files change to "not responding". At this point Excel is locked. To exit I have to end the Excel program in Task Manager. Printers/Faxes still has the temporary printer as default and I have to change back to my default printer - then delete the temporary printer.

Any suggests for what to do next? J
Attachments
TestExcelPDF.zip
(3.35 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Judy,

this is a tough one as I attempted to reproduce the issue here on a fresh XP Office 2003 machine and all Excel files converted without issue. We are currently investigating a similar case on a Win 7 Office 2007 machine and we believe that the issues may be related.

We have a ticket open for this: #1398: Office Addin hanging and I have added you to that ticket. When the fix is available we will notify you also and ask you to test on your machine please.

If we are unable to reproduce this and if the fix for the other issue does not actually resolve your problem would you be interested in allowing us to look remotely on your machine to further the investigation?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

The answer to your question re remote access is "yes". I need a solution as I have an immediate need. Thanks again. I appreciate your responsiveness. J
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Judy,

We do try to resolve all cases as quickly as possible, but some are more complicated than others -and do take some time. Paul or I are unable to directly help here - so we need help from our colleagues from the dev team - hence the ticket created. As soon as we have the fix - we will publish it for everyone, and let you know here in this topic. Sorry that we can't provide it immediately in this occasion.

Best,
Stefan
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

I understand.

I had a couple ideas during the night. First, could this problem possibly be related to one where the installation of the software initially and the installation of updates subsequently hangs up? Task Manager shows that the installation stops responding. And I never get to the "finish" button. After ending the process in Task Manager, it looks like everything has installed. And, this problem hasn't affected performance in the past. (By the way, I didn't have the installation hang up problem updating the printer to 4.0, Build 200. The hangup only occurs with updates I download and on the initial installation.)

Second, would uninstalling and reinstalling a new version from you possibly help?

Probably shots in the dark. Judy
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Judy,

maybe a shot in the dark - but a good one. Uninstalling and re-installing the software almost always is worth trying. If nothing else is sets a baseline from which we can work for further troubleshooting.

The installer for PDF-XChange 4 Pro is here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFX4.zip

Please do uninstall, restart your PC then with nothing else started run the installer. If you were having issues with the installer not completing try un-selcting the option to set the Viewer as default during the install, that has been known in some cases to cause the installer to not complete.

I'm very keen to hear the results of this.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

Your suggestion regarding unchecking the Viewer as the default fixed the installation hang up problem. Unfortunately, the Excel conversion problem remains.

I retested Word and Power Point. They continue to create PDFs. I created a new Excel spreadsheet (attached) -- just to see if there was something in the old one that was funky. Same negative results. I did notice that it took longer for non-responding to occur and the duplicate non-responding version of Excel to pop up in Task Manager. The temporary default printer remained after I ended the Excel program. I had to reset my default printer and delete the temporary default printer.

One more thing -- I checked and the last time I was able to create a PDF from Excel; it was on 12/31/11. (That was before I did an update of PDFxchangePro. The Tracker newsletter announcement I receive on 1/7/12 is what prompted me to update.) During the 12/31 conversion, there were "bumps" in the process which I attributed to my not having changed my default printer & the one selected was off line. But, without much problem I was able to create the PDF from Excel. Is this relevant to the current issue? Not sure but thought I'd toss it out for completeness.

I suspect that you'll be able to convert the attached file -- same as yesterday. But, just in case.

Thanks for your help. Judy

P.S. One thing I neglected to mention -- I didn't change any of the PDF settings after reinstallation. (I saw on the Forum where this could be an issue.)
Attachments
Test-Excel to PDF2.zip
(3.83 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Test-Excel to PDF2.zip
(3.83 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for doing that Judy, and thanks also for your patience and support as we try to determine exactly what is happening here.

The additional information is indeed helpful. It may help us if we can identify what the last build you used successfully was. Do you remember if, when you upgraded last, if it was build 199 or an older one that worked? Would you be prepared to roll back to an earlier version and test again? If the functionality comes back it suggests that the issue is caused by changes we made. If the old version also no longer works then I think we have an issue specific to you PC.

Build 199 is still available on the website: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product ... nge-viewer - choose the bottom installer labeled "Previous stable version (Build 199) | 14 MB"

If it was an older build please email me at support@pdf-xchange.com and I'll send you the appropriate version to test.

Is that something you would do for us?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

I have a note from yesterday that says 4.0 Build 199. (Also have another note that says Viewer 2.5 (Build 200.0) 12/14/11 -- not sure what that one's about.)

Yes, I'll try the Build 199 and see what happens. I'm happy to help any way I can. J

P.S. Before I install Build 199 I want to verify what you want me to do. Do I install this as I would any update? Or, should I uninstall PDFXchgPro4 and reinstall from the Build 199 download? Just double checking so I don't create more problems for myself. Thx.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

For the sake of being sure a clean test bed is in place - please fully uninstall, restart and then install.

Many thanks

Best regards
Tracker Support
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

Okay -- but what I downloaded says Viewer. If I uninstall everything -- does the "Viewer" have a full version of PDFXchgPro4 to reinstall? Judy
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Sorry Judy,

I did give you the wrong link. Please use this for build 199 PDF-XChange 4 Pro.

Sorry about that.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

No luck. Same results as before. This may not be the version I was using on 12/31.

What I can't recall is exactly whether I updated prior to the conversion from Excel to PDF on 12/31. My intuition is that I didn't because it was sooo painful to do an update -- until I learned I should uncheck installing Viewer as the default viewer to avoid the hang up.

I know I did an update in the fall -- probably November. But I suspect I didn't do another one until the newsletter I received on 1/7 -- and at that time I didn't get the print driver updated to the latest build (build 200). (This is supported by our conversation above re the version. I'd done the update before my initial posting -- but the printer get updated and thus didn't show as 4.0, Build 200.)

This is the best I can piece together the sequence of events. When you don't anticipate a problem, you just don't burn details like this into your brain. I'd like to continue going back on updated versions until I find one that works.

From reading the Forum, it seems that creating a temporary printer is a relatively new build. I suspect that what worked for me was prior to that -- whatever version that was. Make sense? If so, please send me a link for a zip and I'll go through the uninstall/install process again. I'm getting good at that part.
Judy
Corwin - Tracker Sup
User

Post by Corwin - Tracker Sup »

Hi Judy,
Judy wrote:Then another copy of the Excel file gets opened
That looks strange. All conversion should happen only in the active Excel app. Maybe you have installed any other addins (or macros), that are causing problems during the conversion to PDF?
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

The problem you just commented on has been there since my initial posting -- but only for Excel. Word/Powerpoint convert. I don't have any other add-ins installed. But let me check something else out this a.m. and get back with you. Judy
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

I realized late last night that I had a second PDFXchange viewer that I didn't uninstall prior to doing yesterday's installations. Also I had not deleted the Tracker Software folder during yesterday's uninstalls and reinstalls. I corrected those oversights and repeated everything today, capturing screen prints of the process.

I've attached a zip file documenting events of the 199 reinstallation today. The results were the same as for Build 200 which I also reinstalled this morning. In both cases, after installation, I confirmed the print drivers were appropriate for the build.

Word and PowerPoint convert to PDF without issue - Excel does not. But importantly it did on 12/31/11. I've done nothing to change Excel since.

I looked at the folder where I save Tracker Tips and the last one I saved was 12/3. That is most likely the last update I did as well -- the one that worked on an Excel conversion 12/31. I believe that the December version I was using predates Build 199.

I would like to try the uninstall/install again using the update version from early December.

Judy
Attachments
PDF4-Installation-Build 199.zip
(928.48 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Judy,

the build 199 that you tried is the one from early December. It was released 27-09-2011 https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFX_hi ... 4.0.0199.0

the previous relese was 198 and it was released 16-09-2011. Is that the version you want to test?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

Yes. Thanks. J
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Great - I sent you an email with a link to download V 198.

Did you get that OK? Please update this thread with the results.

:-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

Got it. Will post -- tomorrow. J
Jamie - Tracker Supp
User

Post by Jamie - Tracker Supp »

:D
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Judy,

sorry to be a pest - but one other variable it would be useful to be aware of - is your Windows XP system running 32 or 64 bit Windows please ?

In scanning the above quickly I see no mention of this.

Thanks.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

32 -- j
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks Judy,

So we are awaiting your further comments once you manage to reinstall.

Best,
Stefan
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

I'll update the reinstall this a.m. Meanwhile, it occurs to me that a copy of the System Info might be useful in this investigation. See attached screen print. J
Attachments
Vostro-SystemInfo.zip
(56.83 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that Judy.

Looking forward to hearing how 198 goes.

Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

Results of Build 198 install were the same as the results for 200 and 199. I could not create a PDF from Excel; Word and Power Point converted. The documentation for what I'm about to summarize here is in the attached zip -- along with screen prints. (Although the zip is labeled as Build 198, it contains my observations, conclusions and results for all build installations in the hopes that you will find something useful.)

This negative result made absolutely no sense to me at all. I had the 12/31 conversion -- so the software worked at one point. Thoroughly depressed, I reverified what I already knew -- Excel had no macros, no add-in beyond PDF-Xchange, no links, look ups or anything else. It couldn't be more basic or vanilla.

I sent the test Excel file -- along with the one I'd been trying to convert when all this started -- to a friend who runs XP on a 6-yr old HP laptop. He was able to convert Excel-PDF using Oracle's Open Office spreadsheet application. I downloaded & installed Oracle Open Office onto my Dell, ran the spreadsheet application and was able to create PDFs from Excel without a problem. Entire process took 15 min from start to finish -- and Open Office was free. So the good news is I have a solution. The bad news is it's not using your software product.

I believe Paul is correct that I was using Build 199 on 12/31. So why couldn't I roll back to 12/31 and get the same results? Well, there is no way to replicate the 12/31 test bed due to updates done subsequently. (See attached zip for details.)

Today, having a conversion solution in hand, I uninstalled 198 and reinstalled 200 with a couple of changes -- replicating as nearly as possible the updated methodology I'd used prior to this week. 1) I didn't delete the Tracker Software folder (which was empty) prior to re-installation. 2) I let PDF-Xchange viewer install as default. I'm pleased to report that the installation did NOT hang up as it has in the past. (In fact as late as Monday.) So it looks like this entire re-installation fixed that problem for me. But it also did not create a PDF from Excel -- no surprise there.

I will say that the Power Point conversion process is a bit "twitchy" at times. Sometimes it doesn't produce a PDF although you can watch it create the temporary printer, change it to default, and then switch back to my HP default printer. It just doesn't prompt for name/location or produce the PDF. But at least it doesn't hang up in a non-responding mode. Re-clicking on the Convert to PDF icon or closing and reopening Power Point and trying again works. Not sure what this is all about -- but thought I'd pass along the observation.

Please let me know if there are any other details I can provide that might help you resolve this. I find your product superior in so many ways to Adobe -- and your customer support is second to none. Although I wish the results were different, I have no complaints regarding the service.

Best,
Judy
Attachments
Build198-Screen Prints.zip
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for those details Judy, and thanks also for your patience and perseverance in the work you have done to investigate this. We do appreciate it!

I'm leaning towards the inclination that there may be something specific to your installation/PC. The reason I say this is because the only machine where I could reproduce your issue has problems loading the Addin.

We are doing some work here on this. am going to determine what is required to correct this addin issue and test again - if it fixes this machine it may be applicable to your case. And I also have a debug that I will run here.

Please wait for me to get back to you with the results.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

Good luck! J
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

OK - I've sent some debugging information from the instance here that fails to the developer responsible for the Addins. It may be Monday before we hear back from him now.

We'll keep you posted here.

Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Judy,

we made some changes in the most recent build to address your issue. We'd like you up update your Viewer, test this and give us some feedback on how it works for you now.

You can download the latest version from here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/downloads

Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

At the risk of showing my ignorance, I ran into a problem on the update. Going to the update link you sent seems like I'd be purchasing again. So instead I went into the Programs and clicked on the update icon inside Pro. It showed two updates with 201 on them. I clicked to install. Got questions regarding where to install & that Tracker folder already existed. I told to continue. Installation hung up & indicated not responding. When I ended in Task Mgr, I was able to see the remaining screens and complete. Rebooted. Retesting proved unsuccessful.

So I went back to Programs and looked at what had occurred. The new Viewer was installed--not in the Pro folder which has the Viewer, Tools etc--but outside as its own program. Nothing inside Pro had been updated -- those items showed the last install date of 1/13. The "outside" Viewer showed today's date. I suspect that when I tested, I was testing using the 1/13 software.

Next I uninstalled the "outside" Viewer and figured I try again. Rebooted. But now when I click on the update icon in Pro -- it can't find the update site.

Can you give me some guidance here? Judy
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Judy,

If you own the full PDF-XChange PRO bundle - there is no update option that will include the Driver/Tools products etc - this is only available for the Viewer components.

A full update option is coming in the new relases later this spring - for now please download the file and install below - this will overwrite your existing installation.

www.tracker-software.com/PDFX4.zip

HTH

Best regards
Tracker Support
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

Thank you. The zip install worked smoothly -- with no hang ups as had occurred on versions before my uninstall/install of Build 200.

I am pleased to report that Build 201 fixed the problem I had with converting Excel spreadsheets to PDF. I retested Word and Power Point as well -- and all worked.

Judy
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

That's fantastic to hear Judy!

So we can put this to rest then? Is there anything more you would have us do?

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Judy
User

Post by Judy »

Nope -- not right now, thanks. Appreciate your help with this. Your customer service and support are extraordinary!

Best- Judy
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Judy - much appreciated. :)

Best regards
Tracker Support