Problem: Document signing doesn't work

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

BigMike
User

Problem: Document signing doesn't work

Post by BigMike »

Hi,

I'm not really sure, what's the appropriate section for this topic. I can't sign documents with PDF-XChange Printer, Viewer and Tools.
I'm trying to use a free e-mail certificate from Comodo.

If I select "Use system stored certificate", I can select <Unnamed>, clicking on "View certificate..." shows me, that it's my free e-mail certificate and that I'm also owning the private key.
Trying to print a document ends up in a hanging PdfSaver4.exe, no error messages show up, no document is saved.
If I select "Use certificate from file", the operation results in an unsigned document.

With PDF-Tools, using the "system stored certificate" leads to a hanging PDFTools4.exe, using the "certificate from file" results in an error message, that Windows can't find the certificate and the private key.

With PDF Viewer, the drop down list for selecting a certificate from the system store is empty. Clicking on "Select" shows my certificate, but I can't select it. Using certificate from file results in the same error as with PDF Tools.

Signing an word document in Ms Word works fine with this certificate. I'm not really sure, if it's a problem with Windows or PDF Xchange, but the applications shouldn't hang and more explanatory error message would be helpful, if it's a problem within Windows.

System information:
Windows 7 SP1, x64
PDF-Xchange Pro 4.0.0193

Kind regards,
Michael
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Problem: Document signing doesn't work

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Mike,

I have asked the guys in the dev team to have a look at this and we should be able to advise on this case a bit later today.

Regards,
Stefan
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

Any news on this? Do you need further information?

Kind regards,
Michael
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Michael,

it looks like Stefan has followed this up but I am not sure what the results were. I'll make a point to see that this is done asap.

Sorry for the delay.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Mike,

This is a question for Ivan, and we have asked him to take a look at this topic when possible, so he should post some thoughts here shortly.

Best,
Stefan
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

OK, thank you so far.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi Mike,

having discusseed this with the project manager concerned - this is going to require some detailed investigation as it would appear we are not the only ones to have issues here - Adobe does too, there is some variation from the 'norm' when these are imported into to the system store and we need to analyse these and investigate why and then try and resolve - we will keep you posted as soon as we have some further information to share.

Thanks for your patience.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

I will try to figure out what is wrong with Comodo's certificates, and will fix products behavior. (P.S. I cannot sign PDF files with this certificate using Adobe Acrobat X).
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

By the way - just an aside - Comodo have had some problems recently with issuing Digi Sigs to 'unverified' users - I cannot recall the full story but I think they issued to some 'nefarious' types Certs for 'Facebook.com' and other well known sites allowing criminal types potentially to masquerade as major companies and who knows what 'could' have happened ...

I am not suggesting this is related - but it may be of interest to you to follow that up...
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

You're right, some certs were issued for well known sites without checking the identity. They could be used for faking a websites identity. According to Comodo, all "malicious" certificates were revoked, so they shouldn't validate with OCSP enabled and major browser vendors did update their internal blacklists, also.
Basically I'm using the free Comodo certificate instead of a self-signed certificate, because their CA certificate is included by most vendors, so that there are no warnings about an untrusted CA.

Kind regards and thank you for the hint
Michael
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Pleasure Mike ;)

Best regards
Tracker Support