OpenDocument fail on some machines, but not others

PDF-XChange Viewer SDK
Simple DLL and ActiveX

Moderators: Tracker Support, TrackerSupp-Daniel, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

gcobaughSLS
User

OpenDocument fail on some machines, but not others

Post by gcobaughSLS » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:31 pm

Using the ActiveX Viewer we are having an issue with OpenDocument failing on some machines, but not others. The path and file name are set correctly, but it fails only on selective machines. On two of the machines, the documents open fine, but on others it fails to open. We have checked dll's dates and other things. I'm sure it's missing something simple, but we just can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks,

George Cobaugh

Tracker - Clarion Support
Site Admin

Re: OpenDocument fail on some machines, but not others

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:13 pm

Hi George!

This sounds mysterious but usually isn't. You may have encountered problem with Windows' UAC.

When documents are opened, they are usually opened in Read/Write mode. If the user account does not have R/W permission set for the file then it is necessary that the program be started in "elevated" mode to acquire that permission. I'd try creating a shortcut to the program, and check the "Run program as administrator" checkbox and then start the program using this shortcut. If the problem goes away then you should change the user's account permissions to allow access to the folder containing the PDF and delete the temporary shortcut.
Craig Ransom
Tracker Software - Clarion Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

gcobaughSLS
User

Post by gcobaughSLS » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:00 pm

That was not the issue, it was me. I forgot to run the view exe with the /regserver parameter before registering the dll. Fixed now. Thanks for the response. But it was on me.

George

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Hi George,

Glad to hear all is sorted now!

Cheers,
Stefan

gcobaughSLS
User

Post by gcobaughSLS » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:27 pm

Ok, the problem is back now. Running the registration procedure correctly, but on a Vista Business computer, everything registers ok, but the AX window does not initialize, so does not open the document, and that's where the open document failed. On all other OS/machines it runs fine, but on our Windows Vista business machine it still fails. Any ideas?