Demo watermark visible

PDF-XChange Viewer SDK
Simple DLL and ActiveX

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Chris - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Parps
User

Demo watermark visible

Post by Parps » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:47 pm

Hi Support,

I am converting an application from Clarion 6 to Clarion 9 and I got stuck with ActiveX viewer. The Clarion 6 application is working with version 2.5.208, for Clarion 9 I installed version 2.5.211. I made sure that the TSP_LICS.INC is correctly filled with my license codes. (It is copied from the Clarion 6 directory).

When I run the application the watermark is visible. What surprises me is that the watermark is now also visible when I run the Clarion 6 version where it used to be hidden. Nothing changed in de C6 version.

To find what is causing this I have done the following:
1. Removing the Tracker PDF templates in Clarion 9. This makes that my application doesn’t show a watermark (both C6 and C9 version). Both work now with the 2.08 build. However the C9 version crashes when scrolling through the pages of the opened PDF document in the viewer.
2. Remove the templates in Clarion 6 and install the 2.11 templates in Clarion 9. Both versions of the application show a watermark. And the C9 app still crashes. I made sure that I registered the good version of PDFCview.dll with regsvr32.exe each time I changed the from 2.08 to 2.11.
3. To be sure it is not my application that is the problem I compiled the pvxnew20.app in C 9. Same problem watermark and a crash when scrolling.

I couldn’t test with 2.08 in Clarion 9 because the installer won’t let me.

What is the problem here?
1. Why are the watermarks visible when running the 2.11 build? Is my license not valid for build 2.11?
2. What is causing the crash when running the Clarion 9 application?
3. Are these two problems related?

I hope you can help me.

Cheers,
Parps

Tracker - Clarion Support
Site Admin

Re: Demo watermark visible

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi Parps!

You have multiple problems here. Taking them in order:

1. The demo watermark issue. Back in May of this year, the ActiveX changed to use different licensing. There is no additional cost for this, You just need to apply to sales@tracker.software.com and they can walk you through the process of getting your replacement Viewer ActiveX license code.

2. Scrolling problems in Clarion 8 and Clarion 9. We noticed this in Clarion 8 and opened PTSS #39063 on this on 2012-04-12 in SoftVelocity's own Problem Tracker. There are various things you can do to cause a crash. All the problems seem to be related to overloading the Clarion 8/9 event handling. One way to limit this is to use page scrolling instead of continuous scrolling, as this reduces the number of scrolling events.
Craig Ransom
Tracker Software - Clarion Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

Parps
User

Post by Parps » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks, I will try that and report back.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Please do :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support

Parps
User

Post by Parps » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi Craig,

1. The demo watermark issue. I sent them an email, but no response yet. But due to different time zones I can probably expect an answer tonight I guess.

2. Scrolling problems in Clarion 8 and Clarion 9. I tried:
SetDocPagesZoom(DocID, PXCVA_PZ_FitPage)
SetDocPagesLayouts(DocID, PXCVA_PL_SINGLEPAGE)
to reduce the number of scrolling events, but that didn't work out. When scrolling the application still crashes. It also happens sometimes when closing the viewer. Do you have any other suggestions?

One workaround I can think of is to move the viewer procedure to a separate DLL in Clarion 6. I am not sure if this is going to work, I have to think this over.

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi Parps,

Did you use your koen_tjoa @ hotmail.com mail account to write to us? As I can't see any e-mails sent to/from that account, and I've not seen an SDK license key renewal request e-mail today.

For the second question - I've asked Craig to take a look.

Regards,
Stefan

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:28 pm

Hi Parps!

I have two other developers who are going the Clarion 6 route. Note that this problem only appears when using Clarion 8 and 9; Clarion 6 is rock-solid. Also this only occurs if using an event-heavy processing, like scrolling. If you are using the Viewer ActiveX as a utility for processing PDF files using the internal; JavaScript engine, this problem does not occur.
Craig Ransom

Parps
User

Post by Parps » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi Stefan,

No, I used another email account. I don't want to mention that in public so I sent you one again.

Cheers,
Parps

Parps
User

Post by Parps » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Hi Craig,

Unfortunate I am using the Viewer ActiveX not for processing PDF files but well,,... as a viewer :P
The ActiveX viewer used to work in Clarion 6 for me too, so I guess the Clarion 6 route will work for me.

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:05 pm

Hi Parps,

I just noticed that Craig mistyped the e-mail. The correct one is
sales@tracker-software.com (he used dot instead of hyphen).

So please do e-mail us once again!

Cheers,
Stefan

Parps
User

Post by Parps » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi Stefan,
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hi Parps,
Done :D

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hi Parps,

I just noticed that Craig mistyped the e-mail. The correct one is
sales@tracker-software.com (he used dot instead of hyphen).

Cheers,
Stefan
ACK! Sorry... :(
Craig Ransom

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:13 pm

Parps wrote:Hi Craig,

Unfortunate I am using the Viewer ActiveX not for processing PDF files but well,,... as a viewer :P
The ActiveX viewer used to work in Clarion 6 for me too, so I guess the Clarion 6 route will work for me.
I understand. I was just informing you that there are other things you can use the Viewer ActiveX for that won't awaken the "sleeping dragon."
Craig Ransom

Parps
User

Post by Parps » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi Craig,

I am working on the Clarion 6 route.

Independent DLL
So far I wasn’t able to get it working as a independent DLL. I managed the LIB file to only show the single procedure with the viewer so I have no duplicated labels. But when I start my application it crashes. I guess the two runtime engines of C6 and C9 are conflicting.
You told that some other programmers also took the Clarion 6 route. Do you know if they succeeded to do that with a DLL? And if so, what did they do?

As executable
I also tried to run it as a executable calling with the RUN command. That works partially. When I pass the path name of a file and use the method PXCVAX.OpenDocument() is able the show the document.

Unfortunate I couldn’t get it working if I pass a handle as parameter and use the method PXCVAX5.OpenDocumentFromHGlobal(). The handle refers to a BLOB in MS SQL record. I am aware that but executables are not sharing the same “memory buffer” but I isn’t the handle referring to a memory address?

In the C9 application I have this code

Code: Select all

BestandSize = BLG:Bestand{PROP:Size}    ! This is a BLOB
BestandHandle = BLG:Bestand{PROP:Handle}
BlobPtr = GlobalLock(BestandHandle)
RUN('My_PDFviewer ' &  BlobPtr)   ! Send the handle as part of te command string
GlobalUnlock(BestandHandle)
In the Clarion 6 application I use the COMMAND statement to exact the handle and pass it as a long parameter to PXCVAX5.OpenDocumentFromHGlobal(pHandle,, PXCVAX5:DocID, PXCVA_NoUI) but that fails.

What am I missing when using a handle?

Cheers,
Parps

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi Parps!

OK, the DLL problem is because Clarion DLL's aren't version independent as C++ Windows DLL's can be version independent.

2xEXE problem is that "handles" are memory pointers but the EXE memory spaces are different. They have to be. The guy who is doing C6 Viewer EXE with C9 Program EXE is that he is passing the PDF as a fully-qualified path name in the Viewer's command line and that gives him memory independence. If you needed to get feedback from the Viewer, you could pass the name of a file in INI format, and write into that file as necessary.
Craig Ransom

Parps
User

Post by Parps » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi Craig,

Thank you for clarifying. I had left a tiny little bit hope that a DLL could work but that is over now. Maybe something for a project to teach myself C# ;-)

And I will take the full path route.

Cheers,
Parps

Site Admin

Post by Tracker - Clarion Support » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi Parps!

Good luck!

Don't hesitate to post or send email if more problems develop. :)
Craig Ransom

Parps
User

Post by Parps » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:42 pm

Got it working, hurray! 8)

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:43 pm