Which would be better raster-xchange or image-xhcange?

Raster-XChange SDK (all versions)
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's Raster-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only).

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Chris - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software

ThomasGibson
User

Which would be better raster-xchange or image-xhcange?

Post by ThomasGibson » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:40 pm

The company I work for, Software for Real Estate Professionals, is looking for a printer driver that would allow the company's major product (Appraise-It) to print to JPEG. Our application would need to be able to set the file name, output format, horizontal and vertical resolution, quality and other attributes of the resulting image without user input. I've been looking at both Raster-XChange and Image-XChange. Which would be more appropriate to what I am trying to do? And what sort of licensing arrangements does your company offer?

Thank you very much.

Thomas Gibson
Software for Real Estate Professionals
310 W. Main Street, Suite 1
Sylva, NC 28779
USA

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Which would be better raster-xchange or image-xhcange?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:14 pm

Hello Thomas,

The Image XChange is just an SDK that offers the developers tools for image manipulation
while the Raster Exchange is a printing driver able to "print" to different image formats and has it's separate SDK so if you do need a printing driver maybe this is the better option for you.

Raster XChange uses Image XChange as a base.

The full license texts should have been installed together with the SDKs and you can find them in the installation folders.

Regards,
Stefan

ThomasGibson
User

Post by ThomasGibson » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:01 pm

Thanks. I've looked at the raster exchange samples. Is there any way to print using the SDK without printing to a file first. The sample code prints a file using the SDK. What about printing DIRECTLY TO a file using the SDK?

Thanks again.

Thomas Gibson

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:07 pm

Sorry Thomas,

Little confused by your explanation ...

can you be a little more expansive for those of us not quite as intuitive as we should be ...
Is there any way to print using the SDK without printing to a file first. The sample code prints a file using the SDK. What about printing DIRECTLY TO a file using the SDK?
Anything you can print to a 'physical' printer - can be printed to the Raster-Xchange virtual driver ..
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com

ThomasGibson
User

Post by ThomasGibson » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:36 pm

John,

What I meant was that I did not see a method to call to actually save what had been sent to Raster-XChange to a file. I've since been able to create a bitmap using Raster-Xchange from a short VB 6.0 program. I've attached my test project in a zip file. The program works, but was not able to change the DPI of the printer from 200 to 300. Any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks.

Thomas Gibson
Attachments
RasterX.zip
Test project for printing using Raster-XChange.
(35.88 KiB) Downloaded 255 times

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:37 pm

Hi Thomas,

have asked our Raster-XChange project manager to take a look and come back to you ASAP

Thanks for your patience.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support

Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:19 am

Hi Thomas,
As you can see the base concept of using Raster-XChange COM API is that you create a temporary Raster-XChange printer, set its default settings and then print to it - either directly or indirectly (i.e. through another application). In this scenario it is important for a printing client to use printer defaults instead of overriding them with some custom settings. In case of such overriding the settings done through Raster-XChange COM API will be ignored.

In your case it seems that VB does not track changes in the printer default settings you make.

Try moving printer selection code down _after_ the code that operates with printer defaults. See your modified source in the attachment.
Attachments
MainModule.bas.zip
(1.06 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Tracker Software Products

Please ZIP any files uploaded to this forum or they will not be posted !
You may also use a RAR or 7Z archive format

ThomasGibson
User

Post by ThomasGibson » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:52 pm

Thanks for your help. We've purchased to licenses for Raster-XChange. I've integrated if with our VB 6.0 application. Now I need to do the same for our application in CodeGear (C++). Do you have an examples showing how to add the printer factory and printer class to a C++ project? In VB this was simple, but in C++ under CodeGear I've been unable to add Raster-XChange to the project.

Thank you very much.

Thomas Gibson

Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi Thomas,
Take a look at the C++ sample application that comes with Raster-XChange SDK installation.
Although Raster-XChange SDK itself is not tied to any specific language or compiler, that sample is a MS Visual C++ project and therefore the sources are not guarantied to be compilable with other compilers. The main candidates for incompatibility are the following MS extensions the sample uses:

Code: Select all

#pragma once
(not COM specific and can be easily replaced with classic header guard idiom:

#ifndef HEADER_FOO_INCLUDED
#define HEADER_FOO_INCLUDED
//...
#endif
)

#import
directive

__declspec(property)
The chance is that CodeGear compiler has similar extensions that simplify using COM. If not then you should use bare Win32 COM API like CoCreateInstance to access Raster-XChange interfaces.
Tracker Software Products

Please ZIP any files uploaded to this forum or they will not be posted !
You may also use a RAR or 7Z archive format

ThomasGibson
User

Post by ThomasGibson » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks for your help. I think that's got it.

Chris - Tracker Supp
User

Post by Chris - Tracker Supp » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:51 pm

Our pleasure, thomas :wink:

Chris Attrell
Tracker Sales & Support North America