PDF/A

PDF-XChange Viewer SDK for Developer's
(ActiveX and Simple DLL Versions)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

jeffp
User

PDF/A

Post by jeffp »

Is there a way to produce/save a PDF/A compliant document both in the ViewerAX and the PDF DLLs?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF/A

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi jeffp

my understanding is that all V4 products have had full PDF/A support for some time now, and that includes the SDKs. Specifically PDFA-1b is supported. See this older news release: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/company ... ts/view/59 and this KB article: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... patibility

Do note that while you can view and save PDF/A-1b files in the Viewer (and so ActiveX SDK) you cannot create them with it. Creation of PDF/A-1b would require the print driver and pdfxclib

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Ok. Then I'm just not seeing how I programmatically create a PDF/A document in the ViewerAX and in the DLLs.

ViewerAX:
I do see a PDFA property in Documents<Item>.PDFA. Do I just set this to 1? What then? Does a Save operation then just create a PDFA document.

DLLs:
I haven't found anything in the help to talks about saving to the PDFA format.

As you can see, I'm not real familiar with PDFA but an getting lots of requests from our users so I need to know how to use it in both the ViewerAX and DLLs.

Thanks.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi again jeffp,

ironically I edited my post before seeing your reply.

The viewer doesn't create PDF/A files. In the current version it is possible to create PDF/A-1b only with the driver and pdfxclib
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Ok. The Viewer doesn't "create" them, but can I open an existing PDF and save it out as PDFA? Do I just set the PDFA flag in Documents<Items>.

Also, anyway to save out to PDFA from the XCPPRO40 or PXCLIB40 LIB?
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

There is no simple way to convert existing PDF to PDF-A format - it must be at least verified, and if needed - corrected (in most cases correction is required).
For now only PXCLIB40 can create PDF-A/1b compliant files, and you should call PXC_NewDocumentEx with PDFA_1b parameter.
Driver also can create PDF-A/1b compliant files, but even merging two PDF-A/1b compliant files may produce not compliant result.
HTH.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

The PXC_40.pas file that I have only has a wrapper for PXC_NewDocument, not PXC_NewDocumentEx.

Can you give me the code for PXC_NewDocumentEx that I can add to PXC_40.pas.

Also, what happens if I create a PDFA document via PXC_NewDocumentEx and then I save it to file. I then open it in either ViewerAX or the XCPPRO Lib and add a page or make a modification, then save it out to file again. Will the PDFA stick?

Are there some general guidelines I should know about.

The reason for this question is that the Federal Courts in the US are going to require that all submitted PDF documents are PDFA compliant starting in 2011. As such, a lot of my lawyer clients are asking about this.
Corwin - Tracker Sup
User

Post by Corwin - Tracker Sup »

Hi Jeff,

Code: Select all

.... // PXC_40.pas
function PXC_NewDocumentEx(pdf:pHPDF; key, DevCode:PAnsiChar; pdfMode:DWORD):HRESULT;stdcall;external pxclib;
.... // PXC_40_Const.pas
const
// PXC_PDFX_Mode
PDFX_None = 0;
PDFA_1a = 1;
PDFA_1b = 2;
HTH.
Attachments
DelphiPxcInclude.zip
(8.16 KiB) Downloaded 119 times