The remote procedure call failed

PDF-XChange Viewer SDK for Developer's
(ActiveX and Simple DLL Versions)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ugradedeveloper
User

The remote procedure call failed

Post by ugradedeveloper »

For some of my users, exceptions are sometimes thrown from various methods of the PDF Viewer - typically it is during a call to GetDocumentProperty() which my application uses quite frequently. Using GetHRForException and GetTextFromResult to obtain the error text, the text that is returned is usually an empty string. The message from the underlying exception is usually:

The remote procedure call failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BE)

Does this point to a specific problem that I can resolve somehow? If this error is generated, does it make sense for my application to pause for, say, a tenth of a second and try making the call again? With the Acrobat SDK I found that to be sometimes helpful.

Thanks for any information you can give.

Lewis
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Re: The remote procedure call failed

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Can you send example code to allow us to reproduce this trouble?

Thanks.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
ugradedeveloper
User

Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team wrote:Can you send example code to allow us to reproduce this trouble?

Thanks.
I can't even reproduce this myself. I only know that it happens because the error messages are logged by the application running on my user's workstations. I can't give you a set of code that would cause it to happen.
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

What is user's OS?
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
ugradedeveloper
User

Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team wrote:What is user's OS?
Windows XP. I have seen it happen with both Home and Professional editions.

I received some more information this morning - it appears that this situation is occurring when the PDF Viewer has encountered a fatal error and had to shut down. I suppose the underlying problem is that we have an ActiveX control which is implemented in an EXE. The exe could stop functioning or crash, but the application hosting the activeX will assume that it is still running. I wonder if there is a reliable way to detect this situation.

thanks again
Lewis
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

We tried to simulate crash of AX-exe-server - but after that the call of any method of the AX returns a code 0x800706BA(The RPC server is unavailable), not 0x800706BE code.
Can you send the your code(or program) for testing and finding of this trouble?
We cannot reproduce it.. :(

Thanks.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

ugradedeveloper
User

It's interesting about the difference in the result that you obtained with your testing. I'll keep that in mind.

Currently I don't have enough information to be able to reproduce the errors. If some of my users can provide me with specifics on what behaviors lead to the crash, I will pursue this further.

Thanks again.

Lewis