Questions about Paper sizes for printing

PDF-XChange Viewer SDK for Developer's
(ActiveX and Simple DLL Versions)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

WayneH
User

Questions about Paper sizes for printing

Post by WayneH »

I'm looking through the documentation about Objects::Print and IPDFXCview::PrintDocument Method.

I have several questions:

1) The "PaperName" value is supposed to be "The name of the standard type of paper to print on."
Where can I find a list of Standard Names?
Who defines what "Standard" is ?
2) I'm used to using MS paper numbers, not names (for example, Tabloid=3) - can I use these instead of names ?
3) Assuming the list of PaperNames does not include a paper I want (such as Arch D), how can I specify
a non-standard name or size ?
4) What is the difference between "FitToMargins" and "ReduceToMargins" ?
5) What is the difference between "AutoCentre" and "PaperByPage" ?

Thanks.
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Re: Questions about Paper sizes for printing

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

1,2. Each printer can use proper papers list. If you wanted to use 'PaperName' make you sure that current printer supports the specified paper name;
3. In any case you can use properties 'PaperWidth' and 'PaperHeight' for specify size of paper exactly.
Values should be specified in in tenths of a millimeter. For example, you can set:
SetProperty('Print.PaperWidth', 2100); SetProperty('Print.PaperHeight', 2970); // = A4
4. 'FitToMargins' - if pdf-page is smaller or greater than paper then pdf-page will be expaned/reduced (fit) to paper (excluding non-printable margins)
'ReduceToMargins' - if pdf-page is greater than paper then pdf-page will be reduced to paper (excluding non-printable margins)
5. 'AutoCentre' - center pdf-page on paper,
'PaperByPage' - find optimal paper size(in supported papers list for current printer) by pdf-page size.
This option will replace specified 'PaperWidth', 'PaperHeight', and 'PaperName' during printing.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
WayneH
User

Post by WayneH »

If you don't mind, I'd like to give a few examples to make sure I understand....

1,2) So I can query the printer with my own code, get a list of paper names, and use them
within this call to 'echo' the papername back during printing?
For example, I query XYZPrinter, get a list of "8.5x11" and "Letter-A",
and I can then use those exact names in my print call - I don't have to use "Letter" ?

3) If I specify the paper width-height, I leave other papersize parameters (like PaperName) blank/null?

4) 'ReduceToMargins' will only scale down, as appropriate, never scale up?

5) 'PaperByPage' will query the selected printer prior to printing to determine the proper page size,
and will also AutoCenter?
When it selects the papersize, how does it handle the printer margins? Based on 'Fit/ReduceToMargins' or
using some other method?

Thanks.
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

'PaperByPage' will query the selected printer prior to printing to determine the proper page size,
and will also AutoCenter
1,2) So I can query the printer with my own code, get a list of paper names, and use them
within this call to 'echo' the papername back during printing?
For example, I query XYZPrinter, get a list of "8.5x11" and "Letter-A",
and I can then use those exact names in my print call - I don't have to use "Letter" ?
You cannot query papers list from current printer through our ActiveX in current realization. You can do this with your own code, and paper name which you give from the the printer, you can pass to AX.
3) If I specify the paper width-height, I leave other papersize parameters (like PaperName) blank/null?
AX will use paper info parameters which was specified latest. For example, if you specify paper width, height, and after this specify paper name, paper name will be used, not width-height.
4) 'ReduceToMargins' will only scale down, as appropriate, never scale up?
Yes, it never scale up.
5) 'PaperByPage' will query the selected printer prior to printing to determine the proper page size,
and will also AutoCenter?
When it selects the papersize, how does it handle the printer margins? Based on 'Fit/ReduceToMargins' or
using some other method?
List of available papers received before printing. If PaperByPage is specified, appropriate paper will be chosen from this list. During this, printer margins are ignored, options "Fit/Reduce" also ignored.
Option AutoCenter has no matter for paper choosing, but AutoRotate has.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
WayneH
User

Post by WayneH »

Regarding #5 - You state that 'PaperByPage' 'ignores printer margins'. So, it will choose a paper size based on
actual paper size from the print driver and the actual doc size? For example, with an 8.5x11 PDF, paper 'Letter'
would be chosen?
If that is the case, does it automatically 'scale-to-fit' the 8.5x11 PDF inside the printer margins when printing,
or does the pdf get cropped?
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Regarding #5 - You state that 'PaperByPage' 'ignores printer margins'. So, it will choose a paper size based on
actual paper size from the print driver and the actual doc size? For example, with an 8.5x11 PDF, paper 'Letter'
would be chosen?
If that is the case, does it automatically 'scale-to-fit' the 8.5x11 PDF inside the printer margins when printing,
or does the pdf get cropped?
Yes, for 8.5x11 PDF-page will be choosen the "Letter" (8.5x11) paper in your example.
"Print.ScaleType" is independent property. By default means 0(none) and PDF-page can be cropped (because printer can have non-printable margins) during printing. For print without possible cropping you should
specify 'FitToMargins' or 'ReduceToMargins' values to 'ScaleType'.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

WayneH
User

Post by WayneH »

Previously you said:
List of available papers received before printing. If PaperByPage is specified, appropriate paper will be chosen from this list. During this, printer margins are ignored, options "Fit/Reduce" also ignored.
Did you mean that these options are ignored when chosing the paper size, but are later used when printing?
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Sorry for misunderstanding here..

1. List of available papers received before printing.
2. If 'PaperByPage' is specified, appropriate paper will be chosen from this list. During this, printer margins are ignored.
3. If 'ScaleType' is not equal to 'none' then corresponding scale method will be used for placing pdf-page to optimal paper. During this, printer margins are taken into account to print without cropping.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

WayneH
User

Post by WayneH »

OK, that makes more sense - thanks.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

:)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com